Log Building my first SFF

RTP80

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
I am building a new SFF and am looking for any input anyone may have. My primary goals are small, quiet, and capable of running 4k.

I am looking at a Formd T1 when they are released in the this/next month. Planning an AMD chip set, getting a X570 board to run a 3700x or able to run a Zen3 chip when I pull the trigger. Looking at gigabyte as it is available. Samsung 970 Evo 1TB. Sf600 watt Corsair. 32 GB ram. Looking for a 2080 or 3080 depending on timing. I will run a 240 water cool loop for both cpu and gpu.

Hoping this meets my 3 requirements. Any thoughts?

aggressivehog

Chassis Packer
Oct 9, 2019
Sounds like a promising build - Just curious...any reason why you're looking to get an X570 and not a B550?
And whats the purpose of your build - I take a pretty solid dedicated gaming rig? custom 240 water cool?

RTP80

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
For the chipset, no particular reason. I figured the X570 would have a better chance for future compatibility with Zen3 CPUs. Asides from that no real preference. I dont expect to be doing any/much overclocking, and more likely undervolting to keep things quite and relatively cool. Any thoughts on one over another?

As to the purpose, I have started getting back into gaming and plan to use it as a daily driver for work, but also for gaming as well. I use 4K monitors, so I know that i will need something beefy on the GPU side to drive that.

For the water cooling, I am planning on a custom 240 loop so i can do both the CPU and GPU to keep things quiet.

aggressivehog

Chassis Packer
Oct 9, 2019
For the chipset, no particular reason. I figured the X570 would have a better chance for future compatibility with Zen3 CPUs. Asides from that no real preference. I dont expect to be doing any/much overclocking, and more likely undervolting to keep things quite and relatively cool. Any thoughts on one over another?

As to the purpose, I have started getting back into gaming and plan to use it as a daily driver for work, but also for gaming as well. I use 4K monitors, so I know that i will need something beefy on the GPU side to drive that.

For the water cooling, I am planning on a custom 240 loop so i can do both the CPU and GPU to keep things quiet.

I'm in the same boat as you and currently in the process of planning my first SFF build too (custom 240 rad for gpu/cpu); was just curious about the X570>B550. I'll probably go B550 as X570 board prices are sooo expensive for the time being. I'll use the extra money probably towards other components.

+1 for undervolting to keep things quiet!

Very nice with the monitors, I agree with the beefier GPU.