Budget friendly 250w power solution??

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
So I am thinking about a new build that I would want to position as a budget SFF. It will use micro ATX instead of mini itx to take advantage of a sometimes significantly cheaper price point for the motherboard. The issue I am running into is finding a budget power solution that can reliably handle 250 watts. I would like to remain in the pico psu form factor and do not mind having an external brick or two for this build. Most of the solutions I am coming up with look to be around the $150 range which is too expensive for a power supply. Current idea is to run the graphics card from a separate power brick then the motherboard/cpu that way I can go with @Thehack pico psu for the main board. Two 120w 12v power bricks would likely be good enough but again am having a hard time finding decent bricks and a way to switch power on and off to the gpu based on pc state. A total power solution under $80 is what I am aiming for. Anyone have any ideas of how to achieve that in a pico psu format?

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Flex PSUs are my last resort which is why I set my target price at $80 (silverstone 350w). I would prefer something smaller and something where I do not have to deal with the wiring bundles which is why the pico psu format is perfect.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Flex PSUs are my last resort which is why I set my target price at $80 (silverstone 350w). I would prefer something smaller and something where I do not have to deal with the wiring bundles which is why the pico psu format is perfect.

Unfortunately you won't beat the pricing of standardized psu.