Brickless S4M with 9600k and 2070 (now with integrated display)

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
The following is my brickless build using my new S4M, its assembled and tested and I'm really pleased with it so far. I had an issue which @Josh | NFC resolved really quickly for me.

Parts currently fitted:
  • Case: Skyreach 4 MINI
  • CPU: I5-9600K
  • Cooler: Noctua L9i (stock noctua fan)
  • MB: MSI Intel 1151 Socket Z370I
  • GPU: INNO3D RTX 2070 Twin X2
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2133MHz
  • SSD: Samsung NVME pm981 1tb
  • PSU: HDPLEX AC-DC 400W
  • PSU: HDPLEX DC-ATX 400W
  • Other: IEC C6 CLOVERLEAF INLET PLUG, FLANGE SURFACE VERTICAL PANEL MOUNT, SCREW, SOLDER (Ebay)
  • Other: 16MM Push Button Switch on/off Lockless Momentary Button (Amazon)

Mods from stock:
  • Side panel of AC-DC removed to allow easier fitting of GPU and give good airflow over PSU components.
  • GPU 8 pin power cable shortened to ensure no contact with PSU components
  • C6 power connector bracket trimmed to ensure no fouling of case panels, will require further trimming to allow 12mm power button to fit.
  • Removed motherboard VRM heatsink next to CPU to give better cooler airflow out the case
To be fitted:
  • 2 x NF A9x14 PWM (in Sky Bracket or direct to GPU heatsink) as replacement for stock GPU shroud and fans
  • 12mm Momentary Push Button Switch Waterproof Toggle, this will be fitted at the back of the case next to the C6 cloverleaf.
  • Matrix Orbital GX Typhoon Display, using Aida64 to display system information
  • New front plates to accommodate the display in front panel
  • Smaller cables to reduce clutter and some general tiding
  • Fitting Feet

My 12" work laptop for scale

Mods:
AC-DC panel:

GPU Cable shortening:

Heatsink removal:

Power socket trim:

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Build looks good. How are the noise levels on your Inno3d 2070? I have one and it was so stupidly loud under load I ended up getting a water block and putting it in a loop.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Nice setup. Getting any power shut downs while gaming?

Nope, before I built it I had to RMA my v1.4 DC-ATX as it was shutting down. Apparently its a known issue and Larry was great.

The ACDC actually stays (subjectively) cooler with the side panel off. Its fed new air by the GPU fans.

Build looks good. How are the noise levels on your Inno3d 2070? I have one and it was so stupidly loud under load I ended up getting a water block and putting it in a loop.

I got it second hand (off ebay specifically for this build) and the previous owner had re-tim'ed it. now the card is upside down I notice an annoying ticking sound when the fans start up (it has a passive mode), so will change them out to some noctuas.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Nope, before I built it I had to RMA my v1.4 DC-ATX as it was shutting down. Apparently its a known issue and Larry was great.

The ACDC actually stays (subjectively) cooler with the side panel off. Its fed new air by the GPU fans.

I got it second hand (off ebay specifically for this build) and the previous owner had re-tim'ed it. now the card is upside down I notice an annoying ticking sound when the fans start up (it has a passive mode), so will change them out to some noctuas.
I should have tried reapplying the TIM. Once mine hit 80C, pretty much any newer game, the fans would spin up to 4300rpm and was very loud. Other than that the card performs very well, now I have it under water never exceeds 50C.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
I should have tried reapplying the TIM. Once mine hit 80C, pretty much any newer game, the fans would spin up to 4300rpm and was very loud. Other than that the card performs very well, now I have it under water never exceeds 50C.

I have just fitted the pair of 92mm fans on the sky bracket, replacing the stock cooler and the 12mm rear power button.

Its nice and quiet, just waiting for some acrylic to arrive to do the front panel and I will be done.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Update time!

I plan to use this space to house a small screen to display information from AIDA64.

I had a piece of 2mm thick perspex cut to the shape of the front panel, rounded corners and flame polished (flame polishing wasn't really needed, but ensures a nice finish). I then cut a slot for the screen to fit into.

The screen is a Matrix Orbital GX typhoon which is an older type of USB screen (link to an old review here: Linky!) and is fixed into the slot and then hot glued into place.

To ensure the USB fitting didn't foul the graphics card, I had to solder my connector directly to the PCB. I was bricking it a bit at this point.

When fitted back into the case I noticed a flaw in my design, the internal lights in the case were bleeding through the gaps in the slots next to the screen.

I should have used a black hot glue which would have avoided this problem, but I got around it by giving the acrylic sheet a little vinyl wrap.

it looks pretty shonky here but after a bit of smoothing and a trim it turned out nice!

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 2, 2019
How sturdy are those case feet? Any wobble? I thought of doing that too, but my initial thought was if they aren't spread wider apart then the case would still fall over.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Very nice!
Did you apply fresh thermal paste when you did the GPU mod?

No, but I think I might need to. When I redo the wiring later int he week I will re-tim it.

How sturdy are those case feet? Any wobble? I thought of doing that too, but my initial thought was if they aren't spread wider apart then the case would still fall over.

I only had them like that to take the photo's, I was bricking it that it was going to fall over. Was very unstable.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
I'm just trying to decide how / what colour to paint the heatsink.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
The heat sink part took inspiration from @petricor. Rather than mill the entire thing, I ended up using an off the shelf heatsink and had a lot of help from a CNC owner to trim in down.

Reactions: petricor

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
The heat sink part took inspiration from @petricor. Rather than mill the entire thing, I ended up using an off the shelf heatsink and had a lot of help from a CNC owner to trim in down.

Ah, that's what it was.

IMO leave the heatsink bare. It looks cool that way.