bq Pure Wings 2 92mm vs Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
Based on the numbers is seems like the Pure Wings 2 is better, lower noise and higher airflow/pressure.
I know this has been asked before but I'm hoping for a concise answer.

Would replacing the NF-A9x14 PWM with a Pure Wings 2 on my NH-L9a improve performance?
If nobody has tried specifically with the L9a I'll just buy a PW2 and test it out.

mtspark

Trash Compacter
Apr 18, 2018
it should work fine, but the pure wings 2 is a 25mm fan while the noctua one is 15mm

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
Yea, I have the height support in the case I'm working with now... I think.
I did just bite the bullet and ordered a Black Ridge off OC.co.uk so I also have that to test with when it comes in.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
With 10mm extra depth, I would expect the bq to be able to scoop and push (static pressure) much more air than the Noctua. It should do much better.

Thehack

Shrink Way Wielder
Creator
Bronze Supporter
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Static pressure is not the limiting factor with such a small heatsink.

The stock fan is excellently paired to work with it. You would not get better performance switching to a different fan.

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
The pressure and overall airflow are higher, so mathmatically I should see better temps. I know Noctua designs are pretty specific so the L9a might be designed to work best with their specific A9-14, fins/pipes etc.

Still looking for a SW2 but I'll be posting all kinds of temp results when I get my pure all assembled.

miklovin

Cable Smoosher
Jan 5, 2019
The pressure and overall airflow are higher, so mathmatically I should see better temps. I know Noctua designs are pretty specific so the L9a might be designed to work best with their specific A9-14, fins/pipes etc.

Still looking for a SW2 but I'll be posting all kinds of temp results when I get my pure all assembled.
How did this turn out?