Production Borg - SFF Cube PC Case with mini GPUs (RTX3060Ti)

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Borg - SFF Cube PC Case - Available now!
Symmetry is Beauty
  • Basic : available in 3 colors Matte Black / Metallic Grey / Frost White
  • Addon option : mix and match different color top panel (with extra power switch module)
  • Launch Special Offer : Early bird sign up, 1 set of free addon option
  • Launch Date : 8 Nov 2020

Spec :
  • High performance CPU support TDP 140W
  • cube design, with raised feet, patterned vent holes
  • dimensions 235 x 235 x 235 (+ 35mm feet ) (tentative)
  • colors: black, white, grey (tentative)
  • 4 sides (symmetrical) + top panels : no screw holes to be seen externally, NOT using magnets
  • addressable RGB lighting included as standard
  • tower size air cooler / AIO liquid cooler support
  • supports mini graphics card of length up to 215mm (double slot)
  • price point USD160-180 (target mainstream affordability)
compatible-cards.jpg

Cooler Support (height clearance ~155mm to 160mm) :
AIO Liquid cooler support :
  • Official support : Asetek 645LT (in collaboration with Asetek)
  • Recommended : 120mm AIO

Air cooler : tower size with height clearance ~145-155mm

Liquid cooler :
  • Official support : Asetek 645LT (in collaboration with Asetek)
  • Recommended : 120mm AIO
Case fan : 1x 120mm (H : 15mm), 1x 92mm (H : max 25mm)

Power supply : SFX / SFX-L PSU

Attachments

• borg-cards.jpg
    borg-cards.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Nouvolo Qube Development Progress
Jun 2019 - v1.0 draft - complete
15 Jul 2019 - v1.0 prototyping - complete
Jul / Aug 2019 - v1.0 prototype testing (hardware fitment)
Aug - Nov 2019 - tooling / bulk production preparation / packaging design
Dec 2019 - tooling / bulk production preparation
Jan-Feb 2020 - color way prototypes, packaging design
Jan-Feb 2020 - packaging production, accessories
Feb-Mar 2020 - Bulk production / marketing
Mar 2020 - Borg web page is up and running, more updates to follow
Mar 2020 - Early bird sign up is open

=====

Borg build and review video by DeskTopsGaming

Last edited:

phandango

Chassis Packer
May 20, 2019
I own the Steck, not a huge fan of the top side cutouts, unless it serves as an extra air cooling vent that I'm not considering...

But I think using a single smaller hole looks better. Just my 2 cents. And while you're at it... make that an add on option for the Steck too! ;-)

Reactions: chyll2

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Is the basic philosophy here to allow a max 5 sided 200mm fan setup?
Would be pretty amusing to see a smoke test with all but the top fan set to intake, then one higher RPM top exhaust.
Obviously wouldn't be a perfect thermal solution, but it'd be fun!

Reactions: rfarmer

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Update: Internal Design Draft

Main Features:
  • Performance : tower size air cooling - 140W TDP+, height clearance ~145-155mm
  • Cooling : case fan and AIO liquid cooling support
  • Cooling : all 4 sides + top panel provide ventilation for graphics card, motherboard, PSU
  • Aesthetics : cables come out underneath, and out from one of the 4 sides via opening in raised feet
  • Cable management : spare room near top for cable slack
  • Cost : no riser cable needed
  • Graphics: ~215-220mm card length

Last edited:

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
If you have 160mm cooler height you will be able to fit a Noctua NH-U12A, should give excellent cooling. So 3 x 2.5 drive support?
Based on back of envelope calculation 160mm will be a bit tight, unless I make the case bigger. Since it is going to be a "proper" cube size (not just a cuboid), I would need to add length to all 3 dimensions. Cube is going to be the main design theme, not going to compromise that ?. I checked the TDP for the small tower, 140W still not too shabby ?. Mind you it can fit AIO liquid cooler if one wants to push further.

And the 3x 2.5" hdd are next to the PSU.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I own the Steck, not a huge fan of the top side cutouts, unless it serves as an extra air cooling vent that I'm not considering...

But I think using a single smaller hole looks better. Just my 2 cents. And while you're at it... make that an add on option for the Steck too! ;-)

The cutouts allow room for fingers to lift the panel up/out.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Ah
When I saw the surprisingly small supported fans and low cooler height, I figured it must be some complicated vertical internal layout.
Still like my idea of a chimney HTPC! :p
What's the deal with the bottom O/I panel/feet clearance? Is that going to be partially mesh for bottom airflow? Any chance of mounting a 92-120mm fan directly below the CPU cooler, above (horizontally) the I/O shield? Any plans to account for cable channeling somehow?

Cool idea man.
Good luck!

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
What's the deal with the bottom O/I panel/feet clearance? Is that going to be partially mesh for bottom airflow? Any chance of mounting a 92-120mm fan directly below the CPU cooler, above (horizontally) the I/O shield? Any plans to account for cable channeling somehow?
Bottom panel will be vented, will see if we can fit a fan at the bottom once prototype comes out. Wouldn't hold my breath tho...this cube is going to be small. Ample space in the top area of the case for cables, ideally as enthusiasts would go for custom length cables ?.

I belong to the school of prototyping vs 3d simulation/render. Especially for tight spacing in SFF cases, it's better to confirm any fitment in real life prototypes with real components.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Based on back of envelope calculation 160mm will be a bit tight, unless I make the case bigger. Since it is going to be a "proper" cube size (not just a cuboid), I would need to add length to all 3 dimensions. Cube is going to be the main design theme, not going to compromise that ?. I checked the TDP for the small tower, 140W still not too shabby ?.

Regarding cooler height flexibility;
Can't tell for sure, but it looks like the motherboard tray could be adjustable. Of course I'm not sure how you could accomplish adjust-ability with the bottom I/O, so that may not be feasible...
But assuming you "could" find a way, or offer alternate bottom plates; you could potentially offer NH-U12A clearance with HDPLEX DC-ATX PSU support, or NH-U9S support with conventional SFX support.
Everyone's all over the NH-U12A right now because that's the new hotness, but I've been amazingly impressed with my dual NH-U9S' covering 130W TDP Xeons inside of a cramped Cerberus X. Sitting right next to each other, still relying on single 92mm fans, temps are low 70's during benchmark loads, WITH the low speed adapters in place.

Reactions: Nouvolo

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Bottom panel will be vented, will see if we can fit a fan at the bottom once prototype comes out. Wouldn't hold my breath tho...this cube is going to be small. Ample space in the top area of the case for cables, ideally as enthusiasts would go for custom length cables ?.

Some quick addition would indicate at least about 205mm needed for a 92mm fan, 233mm for a 120. Definitely pretty tight, but "maybe" doable!
Also, I can't tell from this angle, but is the MB tray blocking the side case fan? Could you clear the tray with a 25mm x 200mm fan for dual zone cooling?
Totally get that. First mistake people make is assuming anything they design in CAD/Solidworks/whatever can be easily built in the real. Best to mock it up first and then see what can be done.
Sorry, should've specified better, I meant regarding the external cabling for clean rear exit, some kind of channeling, hook, or velcro looping to keep the power/USB/Video/network cabling together in a nice, clean bundle. It's a small thing, and easily doable with velcro strips or zip ties without you needing to complicate your build. But figured while you were mocking up everything else, I'd ask about maybe adding an extra loop or something somewhere for zip tie anchoring or something.

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
Dual fan C14S (142mm) with access to fresh air can dissipate a lot of heat, and there are a host of quality <155mm tower coolers (e.g. scythe mugen 5 and fuma).

Reactions: Soul_Est

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
You should think to have the MB placed Horizontally. I think in that way you can support even the Noctua U12A! Or you can give both the options!

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
You should think to have the MB placed Horizontally. I think in that way you can support even the Noctua U12A! Or you can give both the options!
Good idea, but current design can hide all connections down at the bottom. If go horizontal, it will be like many others, with the rear side connections sticking out? Lets think over how I can hide the cables.

I would like the design hide the cables and all 4 sides identical, doesn't matter which angle you look at it will be nice and clean.