BLWS - Brave Little WorkStation

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Once upon a time in a Galaxy Far Far Away, a Brave Little…….Oh sorry that’s from Star Wars: Brave Little Star Destroyer. Let me find the right one.

Ah yes, there once was a Brave Little ITX Case on Taobao. He was a lonely case, as he was only on the 7th page under “ITX” search. But he was actually quite nice, with a very low price (145rmb). However, the Brave Little ITX Case was not considered useful by most, as he only had an 80mm intake fan and a single PCI slot to boast. Still, one day he was purchased by a User. This made the Brave Little ITX Case very happy. He was thinking what a Brave Little HTPC he would create, but the User had other ideas for his fate.

“You will make a very Brave Little Workstation someday.” The User told him. The Brave Little ITX Case was shocked to hear this, but also very excited. “Unfortunately it will take some time because I just sold my kidney for the upcoming iPhone 8.” Added the User, “So I will to be careful to avoid pissing off my fiancee.”

One day, he told the Big Bad Workstation what he had been told. “Hey Big Bad Workstation, some day I will be just like you.”

The Big Bad Workstation laughed. “Don’t be ridiculous, you can’t be like me, cases don’t change in size.”

The Brave Little ITX Case never thought about this, and he wondered why he can’t be a Big Bad Workstation, so he asked.

The Big Bad Workstation removed his side panel to show the Brave Little ITX Case. “Can’t you see? I have a 6 CORE XEON PROCESSOR on a Full Size ATX board, with a double fan GTX 560 ti graphics card! ”

The Brave Little ITX Case was devastated. Why would the User have lied to him? How could he possibly hope to compete against the Big Bad Workstation with such shortcomings?

Many days passed until one day, the User came to him very excited. “Brave Little ITX Case, Asrock has just released there B350-ITX motherboard!” The Brave Little ITX Case was excited because he knew that he can only use an ITX board, but he remembered the User said he didn’t have much money, so he got worried. Finally he went to Asrock to find out about this new board.

“你好Asrock” said the BLIC.

“你好小哥” said Asrock

“你有AM4 ITX吗?” inquired the BLIC.

“我有两个” replied Asrock.

“就是 B350 ITX, 多少钱?” asked the BLIC.

“这个六百钱” said Asrock.

求助! 买买买!” said the BLIC. And just like that, he had the ITX board.

But he also needed a great CPU to go with it, so He went to JD.com and ordered an 8 core R7 1700 for only 2100 rmb. “That’ll show that Big Bad Workstation who is boss. I’ve got 8 cores to his 6!” said the BLIC.

The next day he ran to the Big Bad Workstation to show him his new parts.

“Hahahaha” The Big Bad Workstation boomed. “You are going to be a Brave Little Toaster!”

“I don’t understand” said the Brave Little ITX Case, very worried.

“Look at my CPU cooler” said the Big Bad Workstation. “You can’t fit something like this. You will overheat and shut down with an 8 core CPU.”

The Brave Little ITX Case was very upset. In his rush to buy the CPU he didn't consider how the temps would swell. But now he remembered a top down cooler would not exhaust the air very well.

He went and told the User what happened. “Ah, yes.” The User said wisely. “But I know of a place that may help. There is a place in Austria, or Italy….or somewhere in Europe I forget. Go find the tallest mountain and at the top is a Temple called Noctua, the monks there will help you find a cooling solution.”

So the Brave Little ITX Case packed himself in a carry-on suitcase. Being less than 10 liters of displacement, he easily fit inside a carry-on bag. A few hours later he arrived at the Noctua Temple in Austria, or Italy…..or somewhere in Europe, I forget.

“Oh Monk’s of Noctua.” Begged the Brave Little ITX Case. “Please help me from my mistake, I purchased an 8 Core Ryzen processor and I fear it cannot stay cool because I am only an ITX Case!”

The monks looked at the Brave Little ITX case for a moment and replied back with wisdom. “Fear not, for the R7 1700 is only a 65W TDP, and our NH-D9L cooler which is available on JD.com for only 420 rmb is more than sufficient for this.”

“But how can a tower cooler fit?” Asked the Brave Little ITX Case.

“You have almost 120mm of clearance Brave Little ITX Case. Our NH-D9L is built to fit 110mm of space. It shall work.”

And the Brave Little ITX Case was thrilled. He had his cooler and his CPU. It would all be ok. “Can I also have a super cool 80mm case fan too, because I don’t like noise?” Asked the Brave Little ITX Case. “If it is for Review purposes, of course. If for personal use, then no, I’m afraid we cannot give it to you, Brave Little ITX Case.”

The Brave Little ITX Case knew it was really for personal use, so he did not take the fan, and instead purchased it from JD.com for a low price of 100 rmb.

With his Motherboard, CPU, and Cooler installed, Brave Little ITX Case decided he needed to get his other components ready. He felt sad that even though he had so much power, he was not “cool enough” – so he purchased some G.Skill 2x8g DDR4 Ripjaws with RGB LED lighting. But when the User found out what he had done, he was very angry. “What did you buy that for?!” Demanded the User.

“I need some RGB to show off my dank skills while I render videos like a Boss.” Said Brave Little ITX Case.

The User slapped the Brave Little ITX Case. “You dumb Little ITX Case! RGB doesn’t make you cool, it makes you look like a tool! Also, you have a solid panel so why act like such a fool?”

“Well, it makes me feel good and also these Pastel RGB’s actually look pretty friggin cool.”

The User looked at the RGB’s and changed his mind. “Yes, you are right Brave Little ITX Case, I was wrong. I am sorry I hit you, because those Pastel RGB’s do look pretty dank and boss like.”

So with his RAM sorted out, all the Brave Little ITX Case needed was a power supply, which the User gave him a ST30SF Semi-Fanless from Silverstone which was laying in a box. Unfortunately the Elsa GTX 1050 ti Single Slot was not on market, but instead a 2nd hand R7 350 from XFX would be on target. “I will get you a better card in time, but for now this will suit you fine.”

With this, only storage was needed. But again, the User had some on hand in the form of a 3 Terabyte WD hard drive and a 480 gigabyte Crucial M500 SSD. So now the Brave Little ITX Case had everything he needed to show that Big Bad Workstation who was the real boss.

One Day he had his chance. He told the Big Bad Workstation he could beat him. The Big Bad Workstation laughed. “How can you beat me you fool? Didn’t you hear what I told you last time?”

“Yes, but I found a way to get an 8 core AMD processor to work!” The Brave Little ITX Case replied.

“Hahaha, Everyone knows AMD’s generate too much heat. Let me go get some Peanut Butter and Bread, I need someone to help me toast.” Said the Big Bad Workstaiton.

But just then, Brave Little ITX Case loaded up Cinebench R11.5 and HW Monitor version 1.31. Big Bad Workstation turned to watch the multi-threaded rendering going on inside Brave Little ITX Case. He couldn’t believe it, not only was the rendering going faster than him, but the temperatures were lower. Surely there must be some mistake. “This is just a benchmark, it means nothing!” Shouted the Big Bad Workstation.

“Very Well” said the Brave Little ITX Case. He then loaded Adobe Premiere and began rendering the video. “Just try to keep up!” He shouted to the Big Bad Workstation.

But the Big Bad Workstation could not keep up. He huffed and he puffed, but he could not stay tough. The Brave Little ITX Case had beaten him. “I was wrong, you are not just an ITX Case” he admitted. “But you are the Brave Little Workstation.”

Sorry this is what happens when you stay up late in the evening. I haven't built it yet and am just waiting for Asrock to release the B350-ITX.......

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Loved that movie as a kid...though I remember it slightly differently than how you tell it. 9/10 though.

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
IP, thanks for a wonderfully told story!
It really cheered me up and made me smile reading it first thing this morning bleary eyed and not really awake. It's not often that stuff online makes me really laugh out loud.
All we need now is photos of BLIC and then BLWS in its full crammed glory....
If only I'd known about that temple in Austria with the monks on the top; I'd have gone looking for it when I went snow skiing there last year ;)
Another win for Asrock, and not with the super hyped X99/X299 ITX boards - more power (with low TDP, of course...) to Ryzen I say!

Reactions: Soul_Est

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Ran into some snags. The front 80mm fan fits ok even with a 25mm thick one, but it goes a bit over the front standoff on the motherboard. Not a huge problem at first because I can still get the screw in and that's fine, but it means I can't fit video cards longer than about 160mm. R7 350 fits fine but if I want to upgrade to the RX460 single slot later, that's a no-go with the fan installed.

Also found the 2.5 spot isn't really usable as the PSU and Fan kind of squish it. The 3.5 bay at the top is also not so convenient because the cable routing needs to go towards the motherboard I/O plate, then turn around and run back to the front of the case.

Think I will need to find an alternative case...maybe InWin BP :/

Reactions: Soul_Est