Log Blacksheep's builds (Current: Jonsbo V9 Windows XP Build)

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I was wondering if would be possible for a little bit of feedback on my CPU cooling solution. I am using the heatsink from the AXP90 with a Noctua NF-A14x25 PWM fan pointing down at it. As mentioned before the Big Shuriken 3 will clash with the ODD/FDD bracket and the AXP90 is the biggest heatsink I can get into there. Should also keep the VRM's cool. I've also included an image with an NF-A12x25 PWM.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Does anyone know to connect this proprietary Lenovo 00XL190 7+6 slimline sata cable from a L520s to a non-proprietary power supply? It looks like it's using a female 4 pin ATX/P4 (Might be this one). I can't seem to find an adapter. The reason why I am asking is due to how thin the 7+6 connector is which may mean I can use a better cooler while keeping the opitical drive in the case.

I don't know myself, but one of the guys on Bit-Tech does a lot of Lenovo hardware support. I'll see if I can get him to take a look.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Cheers @Arboreal I've ordered a cable in so I can have a look at it. If we can't find an adapter then I'll see if I can comission one of the UK based members here to mod the cable for me so it can work with a normal psu.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Cheers @Arboreal I've ordered a cable in so I can have a look at it. If we can't find an adapter then I'll see if I can comission one of the UK based members here to mod the cable for me so it can work with a normal psu.
You're welcome, he's got the part number and will look it up in the service book at work tomorrow...
I'm sure there are plenty of people who can do cable mods here in the UK.

Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Want to help with the build?

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Got some parts. A Big Shurkien 3, a Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM and a BeQuiet TFX 300W unit. Annoyingly the Shurkien blocks the PCIE slot so I've had to move the wifi card to a less optimal place (Should of went with the WIFI version of the board in hindsight).

I was trying to leave at least 3 open slots in case someone decided to make a 3 slot LP GPU one day. Not that I think it will happen, just wishful thinking.

Meanwhile the ODD power cable might work with the clearance issue of the BS3. I've sent off the bracket to be modified so I will need to see if it holds up another time.

Also cable managing the TFX PSU is a pain the butt.

Might try this one day. That new EVGA 3060 Ti could fit with some case modding. Would need a unicorn of a PSU to make it work however.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018

A few things have happened over the past few weeks. Used the Big Shuriken 3 for a day with the lid on and I finally discovered the meaning of turbulence noise. Swapped it out for a Noctua L12 Loque Edition. The cooler is great, but has problems with the RAM clearance. Either the fan is pressing against them or the heatpipe, so I moved their posistioning a little. Also had a friend up in Dundee mod the bracket for me so I can fit my ASUS 1650 LP.

The other change you may notice is the presence of a PCIE to OCulink to U.2 to M.2 setup. Means I can have a third M.2 or a U.2 but not have it in the space between the TFX PSU or GPU. The U.2 is screwed into the holes on the front bracket of the case.

Finally the ODD was moved out the case, which makes much more sense. Took me a while to realise that.

Future plans:

Modding/redesigning the top panel for better ventilation (Might need a case designer to help me if I go down the route of redesigning it, but once I have funding for that).

Changing the SDD setup. I'm imagining a simple boot drive and then two Sabrent Rocket 4 Pluses. One will be a game drive and the other a content creation drive. Not sure if 2TB is enough for either.

Swapping the RAM to VLP to make mounting easier. Need to wait for 32GB sticks being eaiser to source. I would like to go up to 128GB. Would running VLP allow for me to have a 120mm x 25mm fan on the L12?

Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks for the update @Analogue Blacksheep.
I was wondering how it was going the other day and was going to post a question, but you've just filled us in with your latest adventures.

My B450M is here and the RAM should be here by the end of the week, mATX here we come!

In my mind, I have a ~15L design like a '4 slot M1' or similar to the Metalfish S5, but with a removeable 'other' side panel...

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
My board's great thanks. Just built the B450M Steel Legend / R3 1200 / GTX 1050Ti into a Jonsbo V4 today!

Have lent it to a gaming friend to use as his i5 4670K rig is not wanting to play PUBG. His GTX 970 went pop a while back, and it's been an uphill struggle with the backup GTX 760. Crashes and freezes every time out...

What are you cramming into the SG05? Still love them. I have a black one (i5 4690 home PC) , an empty modded black SG06, and my daughter is running her PC in my old white SG13.

Seeing your photo, the SG 13 really could do with the front mesh in white, the black doesn't work for me.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I'm considering moving the setup to a Gigabyte X570-I board. I would like to be able to have 2 PCIE Gen 4.0 drives for my art projects and steam library.

I currently own a Big Shuriken 3 which I know is compatible with the board. Seeing as I have 82mm to play around with, I will more than likely stick a NF-A12x25 PWM on it which would make the CPU cooler total height 77mm. My main concern is whether or not this would could turbulence noise with the fan being that close to the SFX PSU.

Edit - On second thought, I might use an ID Cooling IS60 instead with a NF-A12x25 PWM on top. That would be 65mm tall and leave me with 17mm of clearance between the cooler and PSU.

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I am still intrigued by the potential to front mount an SFX PSU in an SG06/06/13 and use a tall cooler, I may still investigate that when I next do a build.

Really good to see that more than one B550 ITX board has two M.2 slots, it's been Asus only for a while.
That's why I chose an H370i for my last gamer, along with a hex core i5 which finally showed an appreciable performance over the i5 4670K; the Sky/ Kaby Lake gens didn't push things along appreciably on the performance front, just new board features.
Given the choice now, I'd probably be up for the Gigabyte B550i; not sure I need the extra heft of X570.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Actually I had a thought earlier today about going with the B550 model and after seeing how it would work in the case, I've decided to base the build around that.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Managed to fit a 92mm fan on the side of the case. Any recommendations for what way they should be facing. I will be using an IS-60 with a 25mm fan on it if you are wondering about CPU cooler.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Good question... Been thinking a bit about your fan orientation.

At first glance, I'd say you have it right. You have a 120mm fan at the front bringing air in over the board, and the CPU fan will be bringing air in from the top as best it can past the PSU. The PSU will be fan up? If not, it will be 'fighting' the CPU in the usual way for this family of cases.

That way I see positive pressure from the front and top, with the 92mm fan doing exhaust duty to the side.

The GPU effectively makes its own chamber as it gets air in from the side and makes an inner 'wall' along the side of the CPU.

I wondered what an intake would do to help, but al I can see is confused airflow through cross fed positive pressure.

That's the logic that I have worked through in my head, CFD may say otherwise!

/2p

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
The PSU fan will be pointing out of the case. I stuck the 92mm fan on the side to help preserve the PSU by not having the CPU fan blow into it.