Biostar B350GTN Build

spot

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Apr 12, 2018
Hi all. I'm looking for a little guidance.

I have an Aspire XC 105 to renovate, dating from 2008 at a guess. It has a mini-ITX motherboard, 24-pin ATXPWR1, 4-pin ATXPWR2, a 10-pin front panel header and a front-panel audio header . I've picked up the following to swap in:

Biostar B350GTN
Ryzen 5 2400G
Two 16GB DDR4 SDRAM VLP UDIMM MTA18ADF2G72AZ
and a smallish Sandisk SSD

Anyway, I put the bits in and they fit. I'm fairly sure the PSU offers enough current, it was built to take up to a 95W processor.

I have at least two problems.

With the Panel plug unattached I can get the fan to spin but no beep, no BIOS. The panel plug appears to have different pin-outs for the same 9-pin shape as the Biostar, it won't spin the fan pressing the power button but I can get that far shorting pins 8+10.

The memory I picked up is 2666MHz ECC Single-rank, some ECC memory works with the Biostar board so I thought I'd try. I get the same fan-spin but no BIOS with the memory in or out. I'd expected to at least get into the BIOS.

1. If I give up on the case because of the likely pin-out mismatch, would anyone like to recommend a desirable alternative case-and-PSU?

2. Has anyone here used this board with ECC memory? I'll get a 4GB single non-ECC replacement to test with but I suspect what I bought is incompatible.

spot

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Apr 12, 2018
It takes a skewed view to know what to try but I think I've got there. Given that the memory is the major cost, I'm actually going to buy a second motherboard which I know will take the memory and see whether that gets me to a BIOS screen. The Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming says it has no problem with ECC. If I can get to a BIOS screen with that, I'll check the pin-outs of the front panel and warm up my soldering iron.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
It takes a skewed view to know what to try but I think I've got there. Given that the memory is the major cost, I'm actually going to buy a second motherboard which I know will take the memory and see whether that gets me to a BIOS screen. The Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming says it has no problem with ECC. If I can get to a BIOS screen with that, I'll check the pin-outs of the front panel and warm up my soldering iron.

Why ECC? for consumer usage, there is no benefit. It's only useful in servers and whatnot. Just curious.

spot

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Apr 12, 2018
Because I had ECC in two 16GB pieces, and the mini-itx format only having two RAM slots, and me needing to run virtual systems on this box. I suspect two non-ECC pieces would have run to over £300 at the moment.

Reactions: Windfall

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@jtd871 @Windfall Next time please just report the post with a request to move instead of tagging me - There's no guarantees I will be timely on moving things, however we have 24/7 moderator coverage courtesy of our team!