Concept Billet Aluminium - 6.4L ITX Case

Daniel.f2277

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2020
I'm pretty interested in the Flex PSU layout.

I would also like to see more widespread adoption of the PIO config, I haven't been exposed to that before surprisingly.

Another thing: one of the biggest problems I can imagine in these cases is that heat tends to get trapped in the middle of the chassis, if you don't have an open or otherwise well ventalated side panel like you've shown. I wonder if introducing some kind of thermal barrier could help with that, and then to use any extra room to install a fan controller, running a set of 40mm or 60mm fans on the mobo and gpu side of the case to help evacuate air.
But that could easily overcomplicate the design, I'm sure there is enough airflow with a hole patterned side panel.

Last edited:

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018

I for one like this configuration. As for Flex ATX PSU's, the Flexguru is quite good. It's quiet and "Modular." If you buy from Custom Mod, they will include their custom cable, which provides a 6+2 pin. The only downside is that is currently maxes out at 300 Watts Gold. FSP has teased a 500 watt model, but it has yet to be released.

Reactions: Daniel.f2277

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
With a 200w PSU like the HDPlex mounting directly to the 24pin connector on the motherboard it would be a fairly simple design. Motherboard mounting, power pass through, power button and maybe some front I/O. With the cost of M.2 NVMe SSDs these days I wouldn't be sure I would even bother adding mounting for 2.5" drives ?

Yeah, it would be relatively simple. If removing mounting for 2.5" drives will somehow reduce the height of the box then why not. But if not, it can also be added just to give users more option.

But again, if you want to experiment with this idea of machining a case from a billet, maybe a mac mini killer is a simpler and better way to start?

Daniel.f2277

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2020
But again, if you want to experiment with this idea of machining a case from a billet, maybe a mac mini killer is a simpler and better way to start?

I don't think it would really be much more complicated to do a system with a gpu, just need to make cuts to fit everything up. I'm sure with 3 years of Haas experience, any size billot would look like the same amount of work, just with more machine time. Though, what op is doing is less explored in comparison to hackintosh builds.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Oh wow, didn't know they existed. They are a strange configuration, looks as if it would be quite a challenge to make a design compatible with both that form factor and standard Mini ITX.

That's good to know regarding the HDPlex riser. I'll take a look and see how that layout looks tomorrow.

I'm hoping not, here is an example (PIO on left) vs a riser based itx card (on right). If just the blue mounting points were used on the PIO card they look to align directly with the ATX standards on ITX boards. Perhaps the top left and right red mounting points on the PIO board could be used mounting the riser?

Here is a link to the HDPLEX riser: HDPLEX link

One Works

Trash Compacter
Original poster
One Works
Oct 3, 2019
I'm hoping not, here is an example (PIO on left) vs a riser based itx card (on right). If just the blue mounting points were used on the PIO card they look to align directly with the ATX standards on ITX boards. Perhaps the top left and right red mounting points on the PIO board could be used mounting the riser?

Here is a link to the HDPLEX riser: HDPLEX link

Interesting, I wasn't able to find detailed drawings such as that so I had the layout all wrong in my mind. From those drawings, it does appear as if it could work out nicely. Would definitely add to the overall volume to get the additional width of the motherboard in on the back side if you wanted to keep with a Flex ATX PSU. Of course, the other option would be a PIO board with a HDPlex 400w PSU and an external power brick keeping the same overall size. The question is, with so few boards is it worth including in the design? I couldn't find a stand alone board with current gen CPU support. Then again, you've already proven that you can find things better than me, so that might just be my amateur search skills ?

I'm pretty interested in the Flex PSU layout.

I would also like to see more widespread adoption of the PIO config, I haven't been exposed to that before surprisingly.

Another thing: one of the biggest problems I can imagine in these cases is that heat tends to get trapped in the middle of the chassis, if you don't have an open or otherwise well ventalated side panel like you've shown. I wonder if introducing some kind of thermal barrier could help with that, and then to use any extra room to install a fan controller, running a set of 40mm or 60mm fans on the mobo and gpu side of the case to help evacuate air.
But that could easily overcomplicate the design, I'm sure there is enough airflow with a hole patterned side panel.

The PIO config is interesting, I hadn't heard of it either. Doesn't seem to be much going on with it at the moment though.

I was considering having fan mounting to the side of the motherboard since I had to pull the edge of it away from the side of the case to allow for the radius on the corner. If I change the configuration to have the GPU on the other side of the motherboard as has been suggested then there would be space for fans as long as an over height graphics card wasn't used. If an over height card was used, the exhaust should be so close to the side of the case that it would have a fairly set path to exit the case anyway.

I for one like this configuration. As for Flex ATX PSU's, the Flexguru is quite good. It's quiet and "Modular." If you buy from Custom Mod, they will include their custom cable, which provides a 6+2 pin. The only downside is that is currently maxes out at 300 Watts Gold. FSP has teased a 500 watt model, but it has yet to be released.

I think that was one of the reasons I looked at the HDPlex option from the original post, the lack of higher wattage PSUs in the Flex ATX form factor. SFX and SFX-L have come a long way in terms of mainstream support, but Flex ATX hasn't quite got there. The trouble with SFX for me is the height of the PSU means jumping up into a 65mm+ case which results in a lot of material wastage. It's also considerable wider, but at least that additional width results in a longer GPU being supported. Although, I do wonder how many people are actually out there building with the RTX2080 and similar ?

Yeah, it would be relatively simple. If removing mounting for 2.5" drives will somehow reduce the height of the box then why not. But if not, it can also be added just to give users more option.

I had a quick look at it today. Was a bit disappointed to find that the HDPlex 200w doesn't fit within the outline of the Mini ITX motherboard, would need to make the case around 200mm square to accommodate everything. The design process wouldn't be as extensive, so I could look at making something if there was interest in it. Really hard to gauge the market for such things.

I have indirectly experimented with billet aluminium PC enclosures in the past. A couple of years ago I had a job to make the parts below which housed a low powered PC that was passively cooled by the case, a touch screen, and a few other components. Please excuse the poor photos, they were taken in a rush while working to get the job out. I've just noticed I didn't even clean the parts off properly ?

I don't think it would really be much more complicated to do a system with a gpu, just need to make cuts to fit everything up. I'm sure with 3 years of Haas experience, any size billot would look like the same amount of work, just with more machine time. Though, what op is doing is less explored in comparison to hackintosh builds.

Yeah, obviously adds to the complication a bit having a GPU in as well. But would still be far from the most complicated parts I've machined.

One Works

Trash Compacter
Original poster
One Works
Oct 3, 2019
Took a look at the reversed layout with the GPU on the other side today. There are some things I like about it, and others I don't. Would be interesting to get other peoples thoughts on the two options.

Reactions: Goatee

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Took a look at the reversed layout with the GPU on the other side today. There are some things I like about it, and others I don't. Would be interesting to get other peoples thoughts on the two options.

I like it. Gpu clearance looks really good. What’s the expected internal case height?

Got the same mock up with the plex PSU combo?

Incidentally, I can’t find any PIO boards with 1151(2) sockets, the one I ordered is a 6th/7th Gen 1151.

warmack

Trash Compacter
Warmack Woodworks
Nov 4, 2018
I love aluminum. With an internal FlexATX PSU like that I would recommend you make sure it gets fresh cool air. I tried a layout once where my ITX graphics card was exhausting directly onto the PSU and the PSU fan was at 100% all the time:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I love aluminum. With an internal FlexATX PSU like that I would recommend you make sure it gets fresh cool air. I tried a layout once where my ITX graphics card was exhausting directly onto the PSU and the PSU fan was at 100% all the time:

Well, the psu fan in this case is battling with the bottom intake fan. Psu wants to exhaust, but the case fan is pushing air into it.

Daniel.f2277

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2020
Well, the psu fan in this case is battling with the bottom intake fan. Psu wants to exhaust, but the case fan is pushing air into it.

Probably would be a good idea to make a seperate chamber for exhausting psu heat out of the front or bottom, with a simple rib. Doesn't need to be the tightest of tolerances.

warmack

Trash Compacter
Warmack Woodworks
Nov 4, 2018
I've only owned two flexATX PSUs but the fan has been an intake for both and vent where the wires exit.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I've only owned two flexATX PSUs but the fan has been an intake for both and vent where the wires exit.

If I'm not mistaking it's like this: Flex ATX can have their fan on either side but the airflow is always the same direction. If the fan is at DC side, it's intake. If the fan is at the AC side, it's exhaust. This is because server cases are cooled with this direction of airflow.

Reactions: riba2233

warmack

Trash Compacter
Warmack Woodworks
Nov 4, 2018
If I'm not mistaking it's like this: Flex ATX can have their fan on either side but the airflow is always the same direction. If the fan is at DC side, it's intake. If the fan is at the AC side, it's exhaust. This is because server cases are cooled with this direction of airflow.

That makes sense, but is odd because my Enhance ENP-7660B is definitely intake on AC side. Looking at pictures of it online the fan arrow is showing as an exhaust as you described. Sorry for the misinformation, not sure what is going on with my PSU.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Wow, this is awesome.

As well as a kick in the pants to get my Kitamura machine running. ._.

One Works

Trash Compacter
Original poster
One Works
Oct 3, 2019
Thanks for the comments everyone. Seems as if most are about channelling airflow for the PSU. I found a bit of time this evening and based on the comments I did a bit of further design work. A lot of tiding up vent holes so they align and so that the internal walls don't intersect with any of the vents. This is what I've come up with for the Exhaust side. The wall coming off the side of the case would be machined as part of the main body. The wall that connects to the power supply is the mount for the power supply. The intake side will be a toss up between sectioning off the power supply to get good intake, and making cable routing a nightmare. I'll take a look at this in the next little bit.

Reactions: Windfall

One Works

Trash Compacter
Original poster
One Works
Oct 3, 2019
Wow, this is awesome.

As well as a kick in the pants to get my Kitamura machine running. ._.

Thanks mate. Yes, get the Kitamura running and make some cool stuff ? What model is it? They make a real nice machine!

One Works

Trash Compacter
Original poster
One Works
Oct 3, 2019
I've done a bit more work on the design, playing around with separating out the case into sections to help with cooling. Volume is increasing with all the changes, always going to be a trade off between practicality and volume though. Max GPU length is up to about 262mm now as well.

Interested to see what people think about the internal walls. Adds quite a bit of complexity to machining as I would need to purchase an angle head to allow me to machine the cable pass through holes. So if there will be little point in having them, I'll definitely be removing them.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
I think the PSU wall that helps intake/exhaust is a good idea. The rest is unneeded.... Thermals have been perfectly fine in other cases like this. What makes your case different is the construction and the flex PSU. Keeping the (potentially) noisiest part as cool as possible is a must.