Cooling Best Low-Profile CPU Cooler on the Market?

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
I'm thinking about upgrading the cooler on my PC. The maximum height is 45mm. I was wondering what the best cooler under this height is? AFAIK it's basically the Cryorig C7 or the Thermaltake Engine 27+extra slim 92mm fan, but maybe there's something else I'm missing? Thanks for the help!

Reactions: WinterCharm

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Noctua L9i/a, Reeven Vanxie, Scythe Kodati, Scythe Kozuti, the list goes on. From what we've tested though, the C7 is pretty dang good..

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I have an ID-Cooling IS-VC45 (nickel-plated copper vapor chamber with aluminum fins) with a Noctua NF-A9x14 (the ID-Cooling fan that comes with the IS-VC45 works, but is quite noisy), and I must say that it works exceptionally. It is a little pricey at >US$60, but I would put it up there with any of those coolers less than 45mm height as far as performance (acoustics and thermals) goes.

Reactions: MarcParis

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Noctua L9i/a, Reeven Vanxie, Scythe Kodati, Scythe Kozuti, the list goes on. From what we've tested though, the C7 is pretty dang good..

Nice. I'm pretty up-to-date on the selections of low-profile CPU coolers prior to the Cryorig C7, but I'm not sure about the ones that came after it. Cryorig looks great, I might end up going for it since it's also not too expensive.

I have an ID-Cooling IS-VC45 (nickel-plated copper vapor chamber with aluminum fins) with a Noctua NF-A9x14 (the ID-Cooling fan that comes with the IS-VC45 works, but is quite noisy), and I must say that it works exceptionally. It is a little pricey at >US$60, but I would put it up there with any of those coolers less than 45mm height as far as performance (acoustics and thermals) goes.

Hmm, I have tried the IS-VC45, but found that it performed worse than the Silverstone AR05. I ended up with a low profile Jonsbo cooler that worked great, though I always wondered if I just got a defective model on the IS-VC45. I already have a Noctua NF-A9x14, so price won't be too bad. Do you have any test results with the IS-VC45?

Also, does anyone know how well the thermaltake engine 27 works? I have yet to find a review on it, only news stories.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Hmm, I have tried the IS-VC45, but found that it performed worse than the Silverstone AR05. I ended up with a low profile Jonsbo cooler that worked great, though I always wondered if I just got a defective model on the IS-VC45. I already have a Noctua NF-A9x14, so price won't be too bad. Do you have any test results with the IS-VC45?

I recently tried to benchmark this (I just got the Noctua fan a little more than a week back) but I've been on a USB monitor and the driver crashes when I start the benchmark. I can check next week when I'm back on an HDMI connection, once more. I don't have another low profile cooler to compare to...my previous case had a Corsair H100i AIO cooler.

My system is in an S4 Mini, so I, too, have a hard 45mm limit. The cooler breathes through the slits on the case immediate next to them and I think the extra 1mm of clearance I gained from moving to the Noctua helped, in addition to the fan being quieter in general. I am using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut TIM I picked up last year.

Also, does anyone know how well the thermaltake engine 27 works? I have yet to find a review on it, only news stories.

Check out this build here.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Concur with @confusis on the Cryorig C7 it is indeed a kick@#$ cooler; I love mine... great thermals and whisper quiet.

I have upgraded to the TT Engine 27 and am very pleased with it thus far. Much more quiet than I had anticipated... nothing like the 'jet engine' sound that some were saying. At full speed (over 5500+ RPM) it has a low whistle sound. Check out my thermals for the past two weeks on my UV Siamese build log (link in signature).

I consider this to be an upgrade by visual aesthetics and low-profile minimalist nomenclature...

Last edited:

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Thanks all. Thermaltake Engine 27 is a bit too expensive with little obvious advantages. I have decided to go with Cryorig C7 :)

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Another vote for the C7 here. I've been thoroughly impressed in the time that I've had mine.

TheGooseIsHere

Average Stuffer
Dec 26, 2016
Availability and price seems to be a big factor in the UK! Seems hard to get hold of a lot of the coolers that have had good reviews for a reasonable price. I'm glad the C7 is coming back in stock on amazon soon though for ~£40.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Availability and price seems to be a big factor in the UK! Seems hard to get hold of a lot of the coolers that have had good reviews for a reasonable price. I'm glad the C7 is coming back in stock on amazon soon though for ~£40.

That's a good bit more expensive than what we pay from the states. It is a great cooler. If it had a standard 92mm mount it would be even better with a noctua fan. The design looks like a regular OEM design like my other fans.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
My experience with the Silvretta doesn't include the word "happy", I personally wouldn't recommend it.

It looks like the same OEM design as ID-Cooling IS-40, which sells for $25 in the states, not including tax. More than likely it is a cheap clone since it cost you only 20 euro including VAT.

I've used ID-cooling IS-25 and it was a pretty good product. I'm not sure how it compares to other 25mm coolers, but it was practically silent in cooling a Pentium G4400 under load.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
As I say. I am happy with the Silvretta....also on a G3258, but standard clock. In an e-mini E-W80 case so about same size as yours (Phuncz) and I also have the option plate in to carry 2 x SSD so headroom for the cooler is tight, and half covered. Plus no top vents in the lid of this case.
Non the less it runs almost silently, certainly not audible when under my desk where my PCs live when in use.
As for cooling, it handles the G3258 very well, never any concern, generally below 50 in use. Idles in mid 20s. So it is hard for me to complain about it although I can see how user experiences would each be defined by individual circumstances, such as CPU TDP, case, ambient temp, even thermal paste used.
So for the money I find it decent value and a contender for lower TDP systems.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
As for the Thermaltake Engine 27, why no reviews? found a few threads on various sites, not got a good reception so far... Originally a Sandia design,( part of Lockheed Martin Labs ) altered and cut down by Coolchip and marketed by Thermaltake.
Original had a vacuum chamber, E27 does not, and suffers for it because of simple thermal physics. Air bearing design also altered.
Probably just watch this one pass by.

https://techportal.eere.energy.gov/technology.do/techID=527

Last edited:
Reactions: aquelito

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
As I say. I am happy with the Silvretta....also on a G3258, but standard clock. In an e-mini E-W80 case so about same size as yours (Phuncz) and I also have the option plate in to carry 2 x SSD so headroom for the cooler is tight, and half covered. Plus no top vents in the lid of this case. Non the less it runs almost silently, certainly not audible when under my desk where my PCs live when in use. As for cooling, it handles the G3258 very well, never any concern, generally below 50 in use. Idles in mid 20s. So it is hard for me to complain about it although I can see how user experiences would each be defined by individual circumstances, such as CPU TDP, case, ambient temp, even thermal paste used. So for the money I find it decent value and a contender for lower TDP systems.

Do you have any pics of your Silvretta? Is it similarly poorly finished/manufactured as seen in other pics? Curious.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
As for the Thermaltake Engine 27, why no reviews? found a few threads on various sites, not got a good reception so far... Originally a Sandia design,( part of Lockheed Martin Labs ) altered and cut down by Coolchip and marketed by Thermaltake.
Original had a vacuum chamber, E27 does not, and suffers for it because of simple thermal physics. Air bearing design also altered.
Probably just watch this one pass by.

https://techportal.eere.energy.gov/technology.do/techID=527

Did you happen to see my post (# 6) above???

I am fairly pleased with my Engine 27; I have not experienced any of the slights mentioned against it thus far regarding noise and poor thermals. It is performing nearly as well as my Cryorig C7 but in a smaller, cooler looking low-profile package.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
Ricochet, No, I have no pics, do not recall the "finish", but as a modestly priced unit I do not expect to be overawed by its aesthetics or find it is a peak of engineering excellence, the proof is in the pudding, IE: does it do what it is supposed to? So far yes it does.
Yes I did read your findings with the Engine 27, and do not doubt your findings, glad it is the good deal you hoped.
Our experiences with the Silvretta are not scientifically analysed by any means, and we may have different expectations that are not easy to define in words, but it just goes to that no matter what a review etc says, our findings will always be empirical.
Going back to your observation of the poor finish of the Silvretta, I may lift it and replace it so I can have a look, if it is a poor finish ( as it probably will be!) I will lap it............I am familiar with lapping technique from my woodworking shop, Plane blades, chisels, machine parts etc, so out with the plate glass and granite block and the cutting pastes!
If I do lift it I will get some pics up, before and after lapping and respective performance in each state.

Edit: I just noticed on your build specs........Noctua NF-S12B redux 1200 PWM Case Fan (120 mm x 25 mm) placed under the lid right over the CPU/MB Hmmmm.. This assistance thus enables BIOS silent mode on the E27.So not a strict assessment of the E27 "as is" but as part of a cooling system.
I also see you note a low machine like hum even then....... granted, as a complete cooling system it works, but the E27 is not in too demanding a position as if it were the sole CPU cooler.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricochet