Log Best "APU" case for SSH only 3700x

dnpp123

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
I have an old 3700x CPU that I want to use as a server: I don't need on the motherboard to support a GPU/APU/HDMI/whatever, just an ethernet port, ideally 2.5G but 1G would be OK.

If I can add a couple of 2.5 SSD in the case this would be even better.

What would be the smallest case I could fit that in?

Looking at the DeskMini X300 would be great but the 120W power supply seems too low for the 3700x... any idea of a better alternative?

yuusou

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2019
A/X300 won't work, they only work with APUs. Some Asrock motherboards will boot headless such as the B450M Steel Legend, but you'll need a dGPU to at least install the OS.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I have an old 3700x CPU that I want to use as a server: I don't need on the motherboard to support a GPU/APU/HDMI/whatever, just an ethernet port, ideally 2.5G but 1G would be OK.

If I can add a couple of 2.5 SSD in the case this would be even better.

What would be the smallest case I could fit that in?

Looking at the DeskMini X300 would be great but the 120W power supply seems too low for the 3700x... any idea of a better alternative?
Take a look at my original plans for an APU build log. Thats 10L for mATX, but everything should fit, and with ITX, there'd be even more space ;)

Another option, and possibly the better one, is using the Silverstone CS280 (specs on geizhals): Thats 11L, and size-wise somewhere between the SG05 and the SG13 (I'd say its based on the SG05 and slightly lenghtened), but you get the added fun of 8 (!) 2.5" hot-swappable drive spaces. If you want to be creative, you could even fit a FlexATX PSU inside (eg. the FlexATX Guru, which I originally opted for in my APU planning post).

cu, w0lf.