Best 1650/1650 super to deshroud

zhbk

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
May 24, 2020
Hello,

Recently I've build my first sffpc in Ncase M1 and everything went smooth and without a hiccup.
I am using an old MSI GTX 660 graphics card now. I have removed the stock 2 fan shroud and use it with 2 NF A12x25s as exhaust. This is of course is far from optimal setup as the stock MSI heatsink is way too thin and there's a pretty large gap between it and the fans though the cooling is enough for my needs and the noise level is great.

Now I want to upgrade the graphics card to something budget as the new cards are eventually coming to market and I don't want to spend much money this generation but I want to spend this 6 month wait at least playing something other than d3 and DA:eek: :-)

I originally wanted to try Palit Kalmx 1650 as it seems like a perfect candidate: the dimensions are fine, stock large 2 slot heatsink. Pefomance-wise though it's not so good as 1650 supers are faster being the same price in my country. So has anyone tried to use any 1650 super model deshrouded like one would with faster graphics cards? If so which one is the best for this use case? Or is it just waste of time because low-end graphics card generate so little heat that going this route makes no difference?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Just look for something with a zero RPM fan mode so you know you will have good fan control

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I don't think you need to deshroud a 1650. It's a relatively cool GPU.

Better use your time & resource to think about the rest of your build :)

mcspreader

Efficiency Noob
May 17, 2020
I have very recently bought a 1650 Super (full height) that is small enough to fit in my 3U Dual Xeon Workstation. This
KFA2 GeForce® GTX 1650 Super EX is 126mm tall including the bracket so fits, just, it actually touches the case furniture at the top of the card. Its 212mm long including bracket and takes 2 slots. This card also has the power socket on the end which works for me but may be a problem if card length is a limiting factor for you. Remember the Super is a full height only card with no LP option available and needs a 6pin power supply as it has a 100W power requirement. Every other Super I could find height dimensions for was way over the size of my case. Some would fit with deshrouding but in many the PCB was too big also. KFA2 also uses the Galax TM outside of Europe. Only one of the fans can be turned fully off, the other is minimum 40% but I do not find it intrusive except when it is absolutely steaming at 1860MHz overclock. I have it CUDAing its little heart out and it maintains 60DegC with only 40% of one fan most of the time.
Hope this is of some help. Having checked the Ncase M1 specs it should fit in easily without butchery and with only 100W to dissipate in a 12L case unlikely to be a toaster.

mcspreader

Efficiency Noob
May 17, 2020
Well, the card was tight, and it died. Not sure why as it never went high T as I had not got round to tickling it up. Supplier was happy to refund. Replaced with 1660 super with a riser strap and vertical frame. Not better, just new types of tight fitting and about £100 more all in. Good news is it runs passive 90% of the time.
Bad news, lower nova bench than 1650 super???? WTF need to investigate.