Stalled [New Video Assembly] Densium 4 & 4+ - Tiny cases with real hardwood frontpanel!

rod

Caliper Novice
Oct 29, 2020
Has anyone here modded their front panel with a fan yet? I was thinking I could try and get a bamboo panel and then add an exhaust fan (or two if it fits) to it and was wondering whether someone beat me to it so I can get some advice!

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Has anyone here modded their front panel with a fan yet? I was thinking I could try and get a bamboo panel and then add an exhaust fan (or two if it fits) to it and was wondering whether someone beat me to it so I can get some advice!

Kaji has.

Reactions: Kaji

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Definately function over form.

Wood panels are 8mm thick.
If you wanted to go down the slightly more aesthetically pleasing route. Then a hole drill and router (not the network type.......) would be best deployed.
Up to 2 x 60mm fans could be fitted if centered.

I don't have a 60mm fan on hand, but if a 60mm Noctua is losely similar to a 40mm. You'd be wanting a 58mm through hole.
Then perhaps use a router to to take out 4-5mm in the shape of the square fan on the rear side of the front panel so it locates some of its depth into the wooden panel, plus 4 corner holes for fan screws (probably 5mm) as you'll need a slightly larger hole than the fan hole size to get self tapping screws in. A little chamfer can be added to the front of each screw hole so you can have counter sunk fan screws sitting flush with the front panel. Fan finger guards, like the above could be included on the inboard side as well, so they appear recessed and not protruding.

You'll be wanting a front panel available next will all the above won't you.....

Or instead of a finger guard these mesh fillters look nice: Stainless steel and aluminium alloy. Perhaps finished in black or left as is?

1702374614604.png

Reactions: Kaji

Kaji

Doesn't own a caliper
SFFn Staff
Jun 1, 2020
Which countries customs was that, out of interest?
That was a different Densium (I have owned three). This one was shipped via EMS to Germany and completely trashed by German customs and then denied entry into the country without reason. Returned to sender, I feel really bad because it was Japan Post who came to my door to apologize and reimburse me for the trouble (it was insured).

Kaji

Doesn't own a caliper
SFFn Staff
Jun 1, 2020
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Definately function over form.

Wood panels are 8mm thick.
If you wanted to go down the slightly more aesthetically pleasing route. Then a hole drill and router (not the network type.......) would be best deployed.
Up to 2 x 60mm fans could be fitted if centered.

I don't have a 60mm fan on hand, but if a 60mm Noctua is losely similar to a 40mm. You'd be wanting a 58mm through hole.
Then perhaps use a router to to take out 4-5mm in the shape of the square fan on the rear side of the front panel so it locates some of its depth into the wooden panel, plus 4 corner holes for fan screws (probably 5mm) as you'll need a slightly larger hole than the fan hole size to get self tapping screws in. A little chamfer can be added to the front of each screw hole so you can have counter sunk fan screws sitting flush with the front panel. Fan finger guards, like the above could be included on the inboard side as well, so they appear recessed and not protruding.

You'll be wanting a front panel available next will all the above won't you.....

Or instead of a finger guard these mesh fillters look nice: Stainless steel and aluminium alloy. Perhaps finished in black or left as is?

View attachment 2986
Also, dual 80s fit with a fully custom front panel (printed this one for a co-worker who wrapped it in the carbon)
Both of those front panels (the dual 40 and the dual 80) are here if any future viewer wants them.. They were both for v1 of the case.
It definitely ain't everyone's cup of tea but it certainly assisted with thermals.
IMG_20221008_121629524_HDR.jpg

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Any hope of nabbing an original Densium 4 from anyone? I put together a build for the express purpose of fitting the smaller dimensions, and see no reason to waste empty space with a 4+. Especially since I'm running my build on an Xworks X32, occupying about 4.3L atm...

RedSawn

Caliper Novice
Feb 18, 2022
Also, dual 80s fit with a fully custom front panel (printed this one for a co-worker who wrapped it in the carbon)
Both of those front panels (the dual 40 and the dual 80) are here if any future viewer wants them.. They were both for v1 of the case.
It definitely ain't everyone's cup of tea but it certainly assisted with thermals.
That's awesome, I'd want to look into that for a V2. The link isn't working for me though, just takes me to Discord with no server, channel, message or anything.

Kaji

Doesn't own a caliper
SFFn Staff
Jun 1, 2020
That's awesome, I'd want to look into that for a V2. The link isn't working for me though, just takes me to Discord with no server, channel, message or anything.
Here's a link to the dual 80s, it's super basic but the dimensions should be correct should you want to copy/edit it for v2

Reactions: RedSawn