Enclosure Athena Power CA-1015CR30 Red / Black Steel MicroATX Desktop / MicroATX Slim Computer Case

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
They exist, for example on the Steam Machine prototype, but those aren't readily available to buy anywhere. There are also handmade versions you can buy off Ebay, but they're just cut-down regular connectors. In both cases it will reduce the overall height required for the connectors+cables from about 20mm to 10mm.

Can I ask why you're so intent on having a case at or under 5.5"? It's very limiting in terms of GPU height, and the case options expand dramatically if you can go up another inch.

The alternative is a case with the GPU on a riser parallel to the motherboard, of which there an ever growing number of options (including our own, with any luck).

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
5.5" is too low without resorting to special angled power connectors, which as I've explained are not easy to come by. What's more, plenty of GPUs these days do exceed reference height by more than 10mm. It doesn't make sense for case manufacturers to put limitations on their products that would exclude such a large part of the market.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It doesn't make sense, indeed. But I've seen (and owned) cases that did put these limitations on some of their cases and wondered: "why, it doesn't make any sense ?!"
Some Lian-Li PC-V35x models have it, as well as the Cooler Master Elite 130, which has an issue only during installing, not in-place.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
4.4", but that doesn't include the PCI bracket, which adds another 0.6". I explained this in the post I made the other day, which I know you read because you commented on it. So a case needs to have 5" of internal clearance just for the card - not including the PCIe power connectors. And again, those need another 0.8". In total you need 5.8" of internal clearance, which in the real world with allowances for the chassis puts it at about 6" minimum for case height.