Motherboard ASUS Strix X470-I: Ram compatibility issue

kdr218

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 3, 2018
So, my motherboard is ASUS ROG STRIX X470-I. (w 2700x)
And I'm trying to get good rams over 3200, b-die.

But as I'm checking X470-I's QVL, there aren't so many choices over 3200. (Like 10)
So I check the ram manufacturer's website, but again, there aren't many options for X470-I.

* I was originally thinking of Corsair rams, but corsair's website doesn't even have X470-I in their listing to check compatibility.

So I don't know whether to go with those few choices given or to choose one that I want, though is not on the compatible list.
Is there a way to know if its compatible? (Other than info given on manufacturer's website)
What should I do?

Any suggestion would be great.
Thanks

Last edited:

kdr218

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 3, 2018
mates,

I'm not very good with building PCs. and I have absolutely no idea whether a ram would be compatible to my motherboard.

so I only chose from the options given on strix x470's QVL and g.skill website's ram configurator.
and the only b-die ram that I could fine to be compatible were two..

1. Flare X 16GB DDR4-3200 (F4-3200C14D-16GFX)
2. Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4-3200 (F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX)

how do i know which ram would be compatible and which wont..? I really need help with this.
It can't be like "as long as its a b-die, it works"..

*btw, thinking about OCing my rams
And how reliable is pc partpicker's compatibility check regarding MOBO/memory?

Last edited:

ASCii

(ツ)
Jan 7, 2017
With new AMD releases I have always chose to stick to the QVL, they have had issues since Athlon XP with ram compatibility.

Down the road after some bios revisions it will improve.

kdr218

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 3, 2018
so just be real safe? hmm.. cuz partpicker is telling me to choose from like 20+ b-dies.. :(

ASCii

(ツ)
Jan 7, 2017
I am not saying you can't use memory that's not on the QVL, but your chances are 50/50.

What you can try is search other builds using your chosen motherboard to get some more memory choices, but don't use PC partpicker as a bible.

To give an example during Ryzen launch many people built their systems on PC partpicker to get the best prices, personally I diagnosed at least 4 different times memory was the culprit of system instabilities, or just no post at all.

kdr218

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 3, 2018
I am not saying you can't use memory that's not on the QVL, but your chances are 50/50.

What you can try is search other builds using your chosen motherboard to get some more memory choices, but don't use PC partpicker as a bible.

To give an example during Ryzen launch many people built their systems on PC partpicker to get the best prices, personally I diagnosed at least 4 different times memory was the culprit of system instabilities, or just no post at all.

would G.Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL15 (F4-3600C15D-16GTZ ) be compatible with x470-I?

hyp36rmax

Trash Compacter
May 7, 2018
I have this board along with Gskill AMD approved RGB 3200 CL14 that work great. ASUS has made strides with RAM compatibility with bios updates on their other boards. Figure the performance compatibility is the same for the X470i. I just tested HyperX RGB 16GB 2933 CL15's with the latest BIOS for the X370 CH6 and it ran perfectly fine. I'm assuming the same is true for the X470i.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
To be honest, the only time I've ever had an issue with RAM not on a manufacturer's compatibility list is when it was a server board. I stopped using the RAM compatibility lists years ago on consumer boards - they can only test so many units and thus the lists will always be incomplete.

@kdr218 Do not post multiple threads on the same issue. Threads merged.

Reactions: TheOfficialCzex

TheOfficialCzex

Trash Compacter
Mar 6, 2017
All RAM manufacturers use just a handful of OEM providers (ie. SKHynix, Samsung, Micron, et cetera...), so the likelihood of a certain DIMM not working with your motherboard (provided it's compatible as far as protocol generation, operating voltage, and size compliancy) is very slim if not impossible.

Reactions: confusis

rusty815

Caliper Novice
Jun 22, 2018
If its ddr4 its compatible, there is no issues with compatibility on second gen Ryzen cpu's. If you want high performance RAM just get anything with Samsung B-die, if you want something cheaper get anything else. I got Corsair vengeance LPX 4000MHz RAM which isn't on the QVL and it runs perfectly fine at 3600MHz CL15. The only problems you may run into when getting RAM with an XMP profile over 3200MHz is that the XMP profile may not work (as was the case with my kit of RAM), but you should be able to get most Samsung B-Die kits over 3200Mhz with no issues by using custom subtimings.