Photo Credit: Asus via Tom's Hardware

Tom's Hardware is reporting that they got a glimpse of the Noctua cooled RTX 3070 that Asus is making. The card is absolutely massive, and will take up 3.5 (4) slots. It is, of course, colored multiple shades of brown. The card is cooled by what appears to be two Noctua A12 120mm fans, which are also brown.

Photo Credit Asus via Tom's Hardware

There is a lot of brown in this cooler.

I'd like to take a moment to point out that you can get the Sliger Cerberus MATX case with a solid side panel. I have the Cerberus X and it's great. I can't see a single bit of brown inside it. Here is the Optimum Tech Review.

The Vietnamese Facebook post has since been taken down, and pricing wasn't listed.

Check out the Tom's Hardware article HERE.

Reactions: Neathdrawls

jughead0

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2021
WOW, this actually looks the way I think most people wanted it to look. Also looks like the shroud design allows for the fans to be swapped with relative ease (dunno why you would want that considering the included fans). Maybe this paves the way for more videocards that have dismountable fans, like almost all CPU coolers do now. That'd be sweet.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
If it was SFF, with that design and colour scheme, i'd be all over it!

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Well...I guess if you're ever able to actually buy it (as if!), in a case like M1 you don't need bottom fans or deshrouding. Still seems silly overkill for a 3070 card of all things. And of course the price will be silly overkill too--even before scalpers.

Oh well, you won't be able to buy it until it is last-generation's-news anyway.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Well...I guess if you're ever able to actually buy it (as if!), in a case like M1 you don't need bottom fans or deshrouding. Still seems silly overkill for a 3070 card of all things. And of course the price will be silly overkill too--even before scalpers.

Oh well, you won't be able to buy it until it is last-generation's-news anyway.

It's most likely less about temps than it is about silence. If I was building a silence oriented rig....with a solid side panel... I would probably buy this card straight away.

I could easily see a larger SFF or ATX build using this and a low speed Noctua NH-D15 with a hybrid PSU and nothing but SSDs for a very quiet build. Quiet and SFF are hard to do, but near SFF size it gets much easier.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
It's most likely less about temps than it is about silence. If I was building a silence oriented rig....with a solid side panel... I would probably buy this card straight away.

I could easily see a larger SFF or ATX build using this and a low speed Noctua NH-D15 with a hybrid PSU and nothing but SSDs for a very quiet build. Quiet and SFF are hard to do, but near SFF size it gets much easier.
Yea this card's "MSRP", lol, is going to be US mortgage-payment territory. And with scalping, more like 2x mortgage payments. Which would I rather have, a slightly quieter GPU, or payoff a house sooner?

Reactions: Revenant

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
What I hope this card will be:
~1.5 thickness slot card that is just a bare heatsink with screwmounts for the two supplied NF-A12x25 pwm 120mm fans, so it ends up a 3 slot card with 25mm thick fans or around a 2 slot card if you'd swap it with 15mm fans, with standard 4-pin fan headers on the PCB. Also no RGB.

What it will end up being:
A standard Asus card with a "Tuned by Noctua" logo and some slightly better performing fans.
I'll eat my own shoe now. Though I wasn't expecting a 4 slot card but this might be worth it !

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
With those dual A12x25, this will probably have superior cooling performance compared to most model out there.
Yet I was really hoping for a 2 slot card with 3 92mm slim fans... preferably on a 3060 Ti pcv. I guess good old regular fan swap will be the way to go (once a gpu is acquired).

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Asus Vietnam said this card will be released first in Vietnam. As for the pricing, it will be 26 million Vietnam Dong.
Convert it to your local currency yourself but I say it is no where near a mortgage payment😄.

I think this is just Asus+Noctua testing the water. If the market receives this well, I bet there will be more of this kind to come. I think this is good news. Replacing fan should become a main feature of a higher end card. User should be able to change fans much like changing fans of a CPU cooler or a rad.

Reactions: Revenant

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Asus Vietnam said this card will be released first in Vietnam. As for the pricing, it will be 26 million Vietnam Dong.
Convert it to your local currency yourself but I say it is no where near a mortgage payment😄.

I think this is just Asus+Noctua testing the water. If the market receives this well, I bet there will be more of this kind to come. I think this is good news. Replacing fan should become a main feature of a higher end card. User should be able to change fans much like changing fans of a CPU cooler or a rad.
$1,150USD. Like I said. Mortgage payment territory even in the USA unless you live in Silicon Valley or NYC.

And that is for a mid-range GPU. LOL. Fuck Ampere and this entire generation of GPUs. Hell, RTX4000 will probably just as ludicrous as cryptofarms are buying up the entire stock, and there's no collapse to this insanity in sight.

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
I can’t unsee that…thanks… 🤬
Hahah, oops?

Well, Noctua is an owl, ASUS Strix is also an owl. So more owls incoming!

Also, if the fans are removable, and since it's Q4 2021 and Noctua has released some pictures/video of the Chromax NF-A12x25, maybe one can change it out to a blacked out look for the GPU instead.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Hahah, oops?

Well, Noctua is an owl, ASUS Strix is also an owl. So more owls incoming!

Also, if the fans are removable, and since it's Q4 2021 and Noctua has released some pictures/video of the Chromax NF-A12x25, maybe one can change it out to a blacked out look for the GPU instead.
D84ABD0A-4B2B-44D4-8720-12CEA8BD5045.jpeg

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021

Why wait to buy one, when you can make one?!

Oh wait, you still need to buy the GPU in the first place.

Major Hardware really does great stuff, when it comes to 3D printing and fans. If anything, definitely very interesting, and you could change out to fans that you want? Although he used a 3060, which isn't particularly super tough to cool.

He has also included STL files for anyone to print them too.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
When you think of the fact that each system has a CPU (thus, a heatsink cooler requiring at least 1 fan, and maybe even 2-3 fans for a dual/triple rad when watercooling) and a GPU, there is actually a huge market for fans fitting onto a display card. There are literally hundreds of thousands of display cards out there.
Currently, this market is unexplored (except for, say, Artic's Accelero line of products). So, if Noctua is successful to open this market with Asus, I bet other major fan manufacturers like Cooler Master might just team up with MSI or Gigabyte or Zotac or whatever to have similar switchable fans on default GPU cooler. This trend looks like a win-win for both GPU and fan makers, and for us PC fans (pun intended) too!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Some more pics with good resolution

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Checking out those official pictures, I have to say they really nailed the design. Even for people who do not like the noctua-themed colors, this is one good looking gpu. However it's really not for SFF. The dimensions are even bigger than I expected, it's nearly 90mm thick... 150mm tall and 310mm long.

Reactions: tinyitx