GPU ASRock RX 5500 XT Challenger ITX 8G

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Hey everybody, long time no see :)

My PC is due for a GPU upgrade, and as one of my usecases is Realtime-Kernel development and audio production on Linux, nVidia is not an option. I have a Lazer3D LZ7, so the GPU can't be longer than 181mm.

Well, as luck has it, ASRock released the RX 5500 XT Challenger ITX 8G in April, and it seems like a perfect fit. AMD, big upgrade over my current GTX 970, even lower TDP so no PSU-upgrade needed, relatively affordable at 220€, super-short at 170mm, and 8GB of RAM means less dependence on PCIe speed, which is good as my MB only has PCIe 3.0. Also, I really like that it has three DP ports. I'm running my three monitors via daisychaining right now, and that's given me all sorts of headaches.

The cooler is relatively wide but the PCB is a bit slimmer, so I think this shouldn't be a problem.

But, I couldn't find a single review for this card and not a single forum post about it on SFN. Did anyone get this card and/or knows whether it's a good buy? Are you aware of any alternatives?

Reactions: K888D

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Might be worth looking into the PowerColor RX 5600 XT ITX?

Ahh I didn't even see that one before. Would be another huge upgrade over the 5500 for 100€. Very interesting.
It seems one has to set the fan curve themselves, else the card will give of a burning smell under load, see this post, but apart from that, it looks quite good and could surely live in my rig for many years to come.

RX 5500 XT supports x8 pci-e lanes (not x16).

I took a look some other articles regarding this and it doesn't upset me too much, but it's good to know. In some way, I'd get an upgrade for the GPU once I upgrade the MB and CPU, so that's nice.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Hey, good to see you again! If you're looking for the absolute best AMD performance in ITX form factor, there's also an ITX RX5700 from Powercolor, but it's only available in east-Asia. Amazon.jp sells it though, and there have been a couple of EU/US people who have successfully ordered it there. More info here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/powercolor-rx-5700-itx.12016/

Thanks!

Haha no way, that exists?! That's awesome, I'll definitely have a look at that.

aleck

Caliper Novice
Dec 8, 2019
Sapphire has a really good small 5500 XT card

I have it for about a month and it's working really well. Good temps, silent, all-around nice product. And it's so small, it's beyond cute - here it is in second pic.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Sapphire has a really good small 5500 XT card

I have it for about a month and it's working really well. Good temps, silent, all-around nice product. And it's so small, it's beyond cute - here it is in second pic.

Yeah I saw that, unfortunately the 8GB version is not available at all anymore.
And on that note, it seems like the 5600 XT ITX has also gone EOL. I had almost placed an order on this but decided to wait until after new year, hoping the price would drop. And now it's gone :/