Asrock DM-GTX 1060 & Kaby Lake, or DM-310 with Coffee Lake but no 1060?

whum

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2017
In other words, for my needs (graphic design with 1GB+ file sizes, file archive compression over 4-5GB, and some video editing/video encoding, along with some light Blender 3D rendering and light AAA gaming.) should I prioritize a 6-core CPU over 4-core, or a GPU over onboard graphics?

Basically, I can go one route or the other with my budget. I can grab a coffee lake 6-core i7 and drop it in the Deskmini 310 -- not bad, but no GPU. Or, I can grab the Deskmini GTX 1060, be confined to a kaby lake i7 that I already own, but obviously have that sweet dedicated graphics, too.

I don't know when the new z370 Deskmini GTX are supposed to launch, or what the price would be, but even if it's the same price as the current line, I would probably be set back too much buying the new line, because I'd have to buy the coffee lake i7 on top of the GTX line, whereas I could swing the coffee lake i7 with the cheaper 310...

P.S. I'm working with around $800, so while I'm partial to the size of these Deskminis, if there is a way to do a coffee lake i7 & 1060 GPU in a slightly larger custom form factor, I'm open to that. I already have the storage,ram, and Noctua 37mm CPU fan, so that would probably help costs.

Anybody have any suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited:

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
So the DM 1060 is basically a case, PSU, mobo and GPU bundle for $800. You have a KBL i7.

If you wanted, you could get a Ryzen R5 2600X (includes a decent CPU cooler), Asrock AB350 mITX mobo, twin-fan GTX1060, Corsair SF450 and a Silverstone SG13 case for ~$820 - a 6-core HT CPU, dGPU and all the other same major components - all upgradeable, too, while still staying relatively svelte. Plus you could re-use your DDR4 DIMMs instead of having to buy SO-DIMMs. Sell your KBL i7 if you need more scratch and upgrade to the 2700X (which also includes a decent CPU cooler).

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: whum