Concept Asrock A300W liquid cooled?

TheG8One

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 17, 2019
Sooo I just ordered the Asrock A300W, and looking at all the components needed to build it out.

After searching everywhere I haven't seen anyone who has liquid cooled this little monster. I understand its due to size, but would it be possible to attach the cooler to the cpu, and the radiator/fan to the exterior of the case? Cut a hole on the case and install a grommet then run the hoses through it. Mounting the radiator wouldn't be difficult.

Is this possible? Would it work? Would it be worth the trouble vs just buying a Noctua NH-L9a AM4, 37mm Premium Low-profile CPU Cooler for AMD AM4????

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You could do this, but I can't fathom why you would want to. The platform doesn't support overclocking of the CPU/iGPU which means this thing won't pull more than stock voltage which means relatively manageable temps. I run it with an L9a and have zero issues with noise or thermals. That being said, I'd be keen to see someone try this for shits and giggles.

Reactions: TheG8One

TheG8One

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 17, 2019
I agree, but the bios initially did support over clocking etc. I believe in the next updates itll be allowed again, probably bugs being worked out, fine tuning, etc????

I'm more than willing to do it, just wondering if mounting the radiator to the exterior of the case would have any effects on it cooling or cause any problems. There are liquid coolers the same size and price if not cheaper than other options.

Although i didn't take the 65w limitation in account. A lpt of the liquid coolers dont ref. wattage, is this a concept killer without upgrading the ps? If its just another laptop style ps then thats no biggy....

Researching liquid coolers now for sff build using less thab 65w's...

Last edited:

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Hey!

I've actually been quite close to doing something like this - although I was gonna go full crazy and make a custom monoblock for it and have it internally cooled in a custom case ? Ran into the realisation that it would simply be too expensive though.

The idea of an external radiator is not bad at all though. I've done one and so have many others. You could go down a route like I did and have it be a "giant" cooling tower which sits on the floor underneath the desk:

Or you could do something like what the Swedish modder Timpelay did in his "Dawn" build:

https://timpelay.se/portfolio/dawn/

Either way it seems to do the job just fine and if done properly, it will result in great temperatures and close to absolute silence even in an SFF environment because you are able to "outsource" the job of cooling your hardware to something outside your case.

Hope I was of help ?