Are the 2200GE / 2400GE available retail on the UK ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tnysff, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:48 AM.

1. tnysff

tnysff Caliper Novice

2. Valantar

Valantar Airflow Optimizer

The box is just a render of a generic Ryzen 3 APU box, seemingly used for illustration purposes. Not enough to make me skeptical - but Ebay is :p Likely the seller thought that a picture of a chip in a plastic blister pack wouldn't be exciting enough to sell, though I'd call that a mistake for this market segment. Still, if you're in the market for this and the price is to your liking, why not give it a try? Ebay has pretty decent buyer protection, no?

3. Donut

Donut Caliper Novice

It looks like you can get them from QuietPC as well: https://www.quietpc.com/amd-2nd-gen-ryzen-apus. I've read some bad things about QuietPC, though (on ResellerRatings, for example). The seller in the Ebay link you posted seems reputable, so I'd buy from them if I were in your shoes.

4. tnysff

tnysff Caliper Novice

Donut, thank you. The comments about QuietPC out there are not too good - something about overcharging $100 and taking 3 months of battling to get a refund... No I would not order from them.

5. tnysff

tnysff Caliper Novice

I went to contact the seller and got a message on the eBay interaction saying seller not accepting messages due high volume of sales, and to use a private gmail address. That for me is a red flag. I sent him a direct email asking about the item and he came back saying it is a boxed CPU. He offered significant discount and free shipping to US, obviously bypassing eBay. I think I am going to pass.

6. Donut

Donut Caliper Novice

Hmm, yeah, that does sound really sketchy. Maybe QuietPC is the better option after all? It looks like many of the complaints about them are from people who placed international orders. Being in the UK like them, you might be okay. You could maybe test the waters a bit by sending them an email to see how responsive they are.

7. loader963

loader963 Master of Cramming
    Bronze Supporter Compaction Evangelist

Odd he couldn't take the time to answer questions but could magically make time if you would but only email him in a private email lol

8. tnysff

tnysff Caliper Novice

I am in the US

9. Donut

Donut Caliper Novice

Whoops. Saw the title and assumed. Disregard what I said before, then. I'll keep an eye out for anyone else selling them.

In theory, you should be able to get 2200G or 2400G to operate similar to their -GE counterparts (through undervolting and underclocking). It's a hassle, but it's an option. I've undervolted my 2400G, so I'd be happy to help with that, if you go down that road.