Power Supply Are Aliexpress (Flex)PSUs good?

Lilbertz

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
Im new to this forum. I am planning to build a PC with these choices (1) (2) (3). Im having trouble finding Flex PSUs because I don't live in the US nor EU so prices will be higher because of the shipping fee and my local stores(online or physical) doesnt sell Flex PSUs. if there are Flex PSUs availbe locally, there are max 300w only. So, Aliexpress seems a good place to look. and the choices are so many that I can pick which one is good or not. can anyone recommend me what PSU i should buy. Is the bundled(the offered from the k39) PSU good?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Cannot say from experience but I scanned through the user reports of the K39 PSU and most gave good feedback. And it has custom length cables for the K39 too.
Maybe, you can wait to see if someone else can chime in about Flex PSUs.

bluearms

Case Bender
New User
Feb 15, 2021
Buy a certified brand like Enhance ENP 7660B 600W. I think 600W is safest maximum for flex power. They do lot's of coin mining, so power supply seems usually ok. But some shop seems exaggerate capacity. 250W~300W is main safe flex power capacity. Beyond that? must be careful not to buy fake one.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Most of them are utterly terrible, as in might set your house on fire terrible.

Not too long ago I came across a user with an exploded "Delta" Flex PSU, which should have been a quality unit. Turned out the seller just put the label on some crappy no name PSU.

I you do go through with it, don't buy no-name ones(Stick to confirmed real PSU's from Delta, Enhance, FSP, Silverstone, etc), don't buy used/modified ones, don't buy from sellers with few or bad reviews, make sure at least one reviewer opened up the PSU to make sure its authentic, etc etc.

Last edited:

inSparks

Trash Compacter
Jul 29, 2020
Most of them are utterly terrible, as in might set your house on fire terrible.

Not too long ago I came across a user with an exploded "Delta" Flex PSU, which should have been a quality unit. Turned out the seller just put the label on some crappy no name PSU.

I you do go through with it, don't buy no-name ones(Stick to confirmed real PSU's from Delta, Enhance, FSP, Silverstone, etc), don't buy used/modified ones, don't buy from sellers with few or bad reviews, make sure at least one reviewer opened up the PSU to make sure its authentic, etc etc.

Quite. Don't trust Aliexpress for anything more complicated than a fan controller :D Critical components should always be bought from verified reputable vendors.

I bought the Metalfish Flex PSU, but it was more of a curiosity than anything serious. It didn't add too much to the cost of my S3 case, import charges considered, so I thought screw it let's see what this is all about.

Turns out it's as terrible as as it looks. Runs extremely hot and smelled like it was going to give up after only a couple of hours. There's a reason why Metalfish now offer the FSP 500 watt supply on their store, namely that they knew perfectly well their branded PSU was junk.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I have a Metalfish DC-ATX + adapter kit (120 watt) I purchased from AliExpress for a lower power build (around 50 watt) & intermittent usage.

My opinion is similar; I won't trust AliExpress PSUs to run anything critical or power hungry.

Reactions: inSparks

inSparks

Trash Compacter
Jul 29, 2020
I have a Metalfish DC-ATX + adapter kit (120 watt) I purchased from AliExpress for a lower power build (around 50 watt) & intermittent usage.

My opinion is similar; I won't trust AliExpress PSUs to run anything critical or power hungry.
I guess for 50 watts total usage you can't actually go too wrong there! It'll be pretty hard to make a PSU so bad it can't even supply 50 watts :D

Still don't trust the rated wattages on any of those supplies though!