Production Aquanaut Basic/Extreme - Ultra Low Profile CPU Block & Pump Mount Combo

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I mounted the Aquanaut this weekend and did a pressure test using the Dr. Drop, there was a small leak at the inlet o-ring. The image shows the Aquanaut leak free but i'm concerned about the acrylic bowing.
The 2 acrylic parts aren't touching so that should be oke, i think a POM or extra screws would be nice 😉

Despite my concerns i still think this is a great product for the SSF community
Acrylic bowing isn't an issue as long as there's a thick enough o-ring in there, while adding more screws would add more points of failure and drastically increase the risk of cracking the acrylic, which will definitely cause a leak, so ... the current design is a decent compromise. POM would indeed be better, but given the low production volumes of this and the general public's love of RGB, I don't think that's happening sadly.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Last edited:

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
POM would indeed be better, but given the low production volumes of this and the general public's love of RGB, I don't think that's happening sadly.
I have a question about POM, how to detect air bubbles inside the block?
I can just imagine that people complain about the temps... and then we have speculation about cold plates, flow direction , jet plates etc....

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I can just imagine that people complain about the temps... and then we have speculation about cold plates, flow direction , jet plates etc....
Can't you hear them? I get that air bubbles are more of a problem for the Aquanaut than a regular CPU block, but I really can't imagine visual transparency being necessary for troubleshooting and spotting bubbles.

jouz

Trash Compacter
Oct 9, 2020

I agree with @Valantar , noise is also what I determine air bubbles by.

In fact, even with the acrylic, the only way to visually inspect for bubbles is by unmounting the entire block from socket, as you can't get a decent angle on the side anyway (certainly with tight SFF builds). Although I'll have try to do what @Torquednb did and shove a phone in there.

I would 100% prefer pom both for the looks & for the quality.

Reactions: Valantar

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Can't you hear them? I get that air bubbles are more of a problem for the Aquanaut than a regular CPU block, but I really can't imagine visual transparency being necessary for troubleshooting and spotting bubbles.

You can usually hear them in most circumstances. Getting rid of major bubbles usually just requires orienting the pump/block in a bunch of angles while you turn the pump on and off for a bit to bleed the air out. That said, given the small volume and the power of DDC pumps, it shouldn't take much to clear any trapped air with a few orientations followed by topping up the loop at the highest point. If further visualization is an issue, a user could do something like installing one of those flow indicators near the highest point of the loops and continue reorienting until no new bubbles pop up where you can see them.

SoSquidTaste

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
I suspect I already know that the answer is that I'd just have to buy a whole new kit, but...

If my AM4 Aquanaut sprung a leak where the bottom acrylic joins the mounting plate, is there any way to buy just replacement parts?

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I suspect I already know that the answer is that I'd just have to buy a whole new kit, but...

If my AM4 Aquanaut sprung a leak where the bottom acrylic joins the mounting plate, is there any way to buy just replacement parts?
We provide replacement parts under warranty. And we do sell parts if damage is caused by user (e.g. over tightening screws).

We recommend users to check out our installation notes and guide before diving right in.
Please check out our installation guide :
notes: https://www.nouvolo.com/apps/help-center#hc-how-to-best-tighten-the-screws-for-aquanaut
video: https://www.nouvolo.com/pages/aquanaut#support

SoSquidTaste

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
We provide replacement parts under warranty. And we do sell parts if damage is caused by user (e.g. over tightening screws).

We recommend users to check out our installation notes and guide before diving right in.
Please check out our installation guide :
notes: https://www.nouvolo.com/apps/help-center#hc-how-to-best-tighten-the-screws-for-aquanaut
video: https://www.nouvolo.com/pages/aquanaut#support
Thanks Nouvolo! I can't 100% rule out overtightening on my part, but the leak sprung out after a few months of humming along perfectly when I simply reseated my tubing runs upon installing custom PSU cables.

It's totally possible that maybe my tubing adjustment after I drained the loop overstressed the mount on mobo. That said:
1) I bought the whole kit from another early adopter in here
2) I definitely stripped one of the bottom threads (mounting plate side) when troubleshooting afterwards ^^;

So I don't think warranty applies here for me specifically hahah!

Last edited:

Pyotr

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
Picked up a Aquanaut, and trying to pick a pump with PWM; Do DDC 3.2 pumps fit? went through most of the pages in the thread but perhaps missed it. Want to use a Bitspower DDC 3.2 Pump PWM on mine specifically.

Also, will there be metal or POM replacements for the acrylic at some point? metal topped with the clear acrylic could be ideal and eliminate any leaks from warping over time which is a concern of mine.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Picked up a Aquanaut, and trying to pick a pump with PWM; Do DDC 3.2 pumps fit? went through most of the pages in the thread but perhaps missed it. Want to use a Bitspower DDC 3.2 Pump PWM on mine specifically.

Also, will there be metal or POM replacements for the acrylic at some point? metal topped with the clear acrylic could be ideal and eliminate any leaks from warping over time which is a concern of mine.
Bitspower DDC 3.2 Pump PWM : check the pump height if you are using it with T1

Just interested to know how much (more) one is willing to pay for (1)POM and (2)metal water blocks. I guess for metal one can expect USD200+ ?🤨

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018

I used this combo for a couple of months in the T1 - 2-slot mode fit just fine, 3-slot mode you'll need to replace the stock heatsink with something slimmer, by about 5mm

jouz

Trash Compacter
Oct 9, 2020
Just interested to know how much (more) one is willing to pay for (1)POM and (2)metal water blocks. I guess for metal one can expect USD200+ ?🤨
I don't see why POM/Acetal should cost more than Acrylic version, unless you expect significantly lower volume? Last quotes I got on machining similar parts, Black POM was ~20% cheaper than Acrylic for the same part. That being said, I would've still paid more to not have Acrylic.

As for an all metal version: No interest if it's much more expensive. Also, I am aware of an all-metal alternative on taobao that goes for USD75, so there's that.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I don't see why POM/Acetal should cost more than Acrylic version, unless you expect significantly lower volume? Last quotes I got on machining similar parts, Black POM was ~20% cheaper than Acrylic for the same part. That being said, I would've still paid more to not have Acrylic.

As for an all metal version: No interest if it's much more expensive. Also, I am aware of an all-metal alternative on taobao that goes for USD75, so there's that.
Yea, if somebody else is already providing those and for a decent price, then probably better off getting from those...

Reactions: jouz

Pyotr

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020

90$ USD after going through a retailer that'll ship to the states. Plus questionable mfg quality means sometimes itll just be trash on arrival.
Id pay a premium for a POM or half metal version though.

Bitspower DDC 3.2 Pump PWM : check the pump height if you are using it with T1

Sliger SV540, 55mm total height. itll be 54mm high, all depends on how thick the board is on if itll fit or not...

Reactions: oOflyeyesOo

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Update 2021-02-19:

Online Store - Service improvement
To further expand the cost saving arrangement for buyers, we have enhanced the VAT/GST collection/prepayment feature for the following region/countries, in our online store:
  • EU with VAT
  • UK with VAT
  • Canada with GST
Our online store will now automatically detect the region/country of the buyer, and offer the appropriate price with VAT/GST. Nouvolo will collect and prepay VAT/GST on behalf of the buyer, and avoid paying extra handling fee, which can cost up to 20%!, depending on product price. This can also result in a smoother and quicker delivery process. For details please refer to our FAQ

Lets have your feedback

Last edited: