Production Aquanaut Basic/Extreme - Ultra Low Profile CPU Block & Pump Mount Combo

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
No I know I did the research that's why I bought the Aquanaut. It's just that i would have preferred the silver barrow heatsink over the nickel one from the EK pump because it doesn't stroke with my silver and black color scheme like the barrow silver pump housing does. If it would have been lower, I could have fit that nice pump on say the aquanaut.
RGB is just nice to have if it comes free with it but ultimately not a high prio.
It's unfortunate that every part of the barrow is just to big.

taquito

Caliper Novice
Aug 7, 2020
Just got my Aquanaut!

Looks solid:

Hope I built this correctly :)
Can't slap it on my CPU yet as I'm still waiting for my 5900X to arrive.

2 questions:

1. how tight is tight enough ? Currently I can wiggle the black part around a bit, is that a concern ?
2. I'm not sure, but what is the jet plate ? I don't think I'll be using it but it seems to be missing from the box. Or maybe I just don't know what it looks like. Sorry for the n00b question.

srekal34

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2019
You have put the jet plate inside you block, its visible in your pictures. Its the rectangular piece of steel with hole in the middle.

taquito

Caliper Novice
Aug 7, 2020
I ordered it 3 weeks ago.

Thanks @srekal34, then I'll remove it.

What is the directions the fins of the coldplate need to be in ? since it can be mounted both ways.

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
You have put the jet plate inside you block, its visible in your pictures. Its the rectangular piece of steel with hole in the middle.

Nah the jet plate is optional. I have mine out as do many others. There's been no testing to say which config is better at present however

srekal34

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2019
Nah the jet plate is optional. I have mine out as do many others. There's been no testing to say which config is better at present however
I did not say "you have to", I just told taquito that he had already put it inside aquanaut, apparently unaware of this fact ;)

taquito

Caliper Novice
Aug 7, 2020
Thanks guys :) took it out. How about the direction of the "fins" in the cold plate ?

Since the coldplate can be rotated 90degrees.. I'm not sure which orientation it should have.

screwbox

Efficiency Noob
Oct 12, 2020
Please, can you tell me more on that reservoir? Seems i can't find anything like this just by searching the obvoius terms on google.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Got you some more glamour shot in this album:

Feel free to use any of them if you want.

How are temps for the GPU? I wonder how much clearance I would actually need between rad and GPU cold plate for my new case design. Currently I've considered 10mm but it looks you only have something like 1mm there? ?

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
How are temps for the GPU? I wonder how much clearance I would actually need between rad and GPU cold plate for my new case design. Currently I've considered 10mm but it looks you only have something like 1mm there? ?

I put small 5mm nylon stand-offs into the back side of the radiator (circled in red).

I think its helped by having a significant updraft from the 25mm bottom radiator fans through that space.

Please, can you tell me more on that reservoir? Seems i can't find anything like this just by searching the obvoius terms on google.

Its custom made, but I think @Nouvolo was thinking of working on something similar: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/mini-reservoir-fill-port-for-sff-cases.14882/

Reactions: REVOCCASES

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Finally assembled this last night, total 54mm in height. Can't wait until the weekend to put my loop together with this!

It's a shame I can't use 2x Alphacool HF compression fitting TPV Metall - 90° rotatable 12,7/6,7mm - Black since the holes spacing are shorter than the length of this fitting. Only this specific fitting though, works perfectly with other 90 degrees adapter so can't complain much. And ultimately I will try and get the tiny Koolance swivel adapters anyway.

Awesome work @Nouvolo ???

jouz

Trash Compacter
Oct 9, 2020
@thelaughingman & @Nicholas Chapman beware that Goatie actually warned about these fittings in his reddit post, and I actually faced these exact problems he described (these are actually so low that fittings connected to it will collide with the aquanaut top plate, and even after adding some extenders, now my fittings collide with the aquanaut AM4 socket screws).

The issues depend on where you plan to route your hoses, but I'd also suggest to consider these ones (also from Koolance). I just got them, but haven't installed them yet. Based on the technical drawings and after some dry fitting tests they look perfect, especially if you want to route both hoses over RAM (assuming you're using low-profil-y RAM like Corsair Vengeance LPX).

Last edited:

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
@thelaughingman & @Nicholas Chapman beware that Goatie actually warned about these fittings in his reddit post, and I actually faced these exact problems he described (these are actually so low that fittings connected to it will collide with the aquanaut top plate, and even after adding some extenders, now my fittings collide with the aquanaut AM4 socket screws).

The issues depend on where you plan to route your hoses, but I'd also suggest to consider these ones (also from Koolance). I just got them, but haven't installed them yet. Based on the technical drawings and after some dry fitting tests they look perfect, especially if you want to route both hoses over RAM (assuming you're using low-profil-y RAM like Corsair Vengeance LPX).

I forgot I wrote that! ?

flar

Average Stuffer
Jan 19, 2020
Does the same clearance issue with the Koolance fittings happen if you route them off the end of the block rather than facing away from each other?

jouz

Trash Compacter
Oct 9, 2020
Does the same clearance issue with the Koolance fittings happen if you route them off the end of the block rather than facing away from each other?

For me, if I route them facing away from each other, they will clear the aquanaut top plate, but collide with the aquanaut am4 socket screws (mostly because I have these dumb, big EK fittings). If I route them over the end of the block like you suggest fittings will collide with the aquanaut top plate, requiring something like a static extender (with a diameter <17.5mm irrc, only koolance makes these).

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Thanks guys :) took it out. How about the direction of the "fins" in the cold plate ?

Since the coldplate can be rotated 90degrees.. I'm not sure which orientation it should have.

The fins of the cold plate should be oriented 90 degrees from the slot in the bottom half of the block.

Effectively, the fins need to go across the short edge of the block:

(Note the bit you can see through the pump inlet, marked with the yellow arrow!)