Production Aquanaut Basic/Extreme - Ultra Low Profile CPU Block & Pump Mount Combo

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
In the meantime, I will try to iron out the EU shipping issues.
If you can't, don't worry about it - it's ultimately not your responsibility, but a consequence of how most (all?) shipping companies handle these things. They (theoretically) need to pay for the VAT before the customer pays them, so they add a surcharge for this for ... uh, extortion punish you for using them insurance purposes I guess is the common excuse (i.e. if someone fails to pay at all, they have a "buffer" - only said buffer is likely thousands of times the size of any loss they are likely to encounter.

AFAIK the EU is working on a common platform for pre-paying VAT for online stores, so that we can avoid this garbage entirely (as the VAT will then not be handled by the shipping company at all), but last I heard the ETA for that was something like "2021-2022".

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Let's get back to topic as @Nouvolo suggested
@Nouvolo
I will repeat my question:
How thick is the AM4 mounting plate? Can I just buy this one: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/mounting-plate-supremacy-amd-black and it will fit the Intel version of Aquanaut? If this doesn't fit, where can I find AM4 plate that will fit?
Aquanaut mounting bracket is 2.5mm thick. No idea if the EK mounting plate will fit... We have not tested it ourselves. In any case we will improve the mounting plate if required.

Aquanaut is designed as a complete kit and it will just be coincidence if it fits with parts from other brands. We don't actively go for compatibility with other brands in our design. Unless there is a "standard" out there, we will not start following other brands' fitting or measurement. Once we start doing this, customers expect us to keep up to other brands updates, which puts Nouvolo products in an untenable position.

If we support EK, why not Bitspower? then why not another version for Barrow? Where does this end?

Having said that we welcome the community to try out different config and mods with parts from other brands, and share their findings.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@EU buyers: rejoice (I hope), the "advanced fee" issue is more or less resolved, with slight change in the purchase process.

There is now option for buyer to pick "EU buyer / non-EU buyer" for product variant. EU buyers are recommended to choose "EU buyer" and this will charge approx 23% (20% VAT + 3% handling) more. This extra will be used by Nouvolo to prepay VAT for buyer. This avoids the "extra" work required by the delivery agent to clear customs at the buyer's country/port.

Although there is a handling fee but only at 3%, which is much much less than previously charged (EUR10-18 >20%).

eedev

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 23, 2020
@EU buyers: rejoice (I hope), the "advanced fee" issue is more or less resolved, with slight change in the purchase process.

There is now option for buyer to pick "EU buyer / non-EU buyer" for product variant. EU buyers are recommended to choose "EU buyer" and this will charge approx 23% (20% VAT + 3% handling) more. This extra will be used by Nouvolo to prepay VAT for buyer. This avoids the "extra" work required by the delivery agent to clear customs at the buyer's country/port.

Although there is a handling fee but only at 3%, which is much much less than previously charged (EUR10-18 >20%).

You're awesome!

taquito

Caliper Novice
Aug 7, 2020

Great! How about for people who have already ordered but not received or shipped yet ? Anything you can do for us ? :D

jouz

Trash Compacter
Oct 9, 2020
I was having issues finding nice low-profile fittings/adapters for my aquanaut build.

I tried the koolance adjustable elbow adapters that have been suggested here, but they turn out to be a bit tricky to work with - my fittings just collide with everything: the aquanaut plate, the aquanaut mounting screws or with the RAM.
This is because the out port location is actually too low (i.e. near to the top surface of the aquanaut) with these elbow pieces.

I've now ordered these to try out: Rotary Elbow Barb Fitting

They should be perfect (If I read the technical drawings correct):
  • rotary mount with small screw diameter (17mm) should allow you to mount it even after mounting pump
  • Barely Surpass the height of the ddc pump (22mm from aquanaut top)
  • should allow you to pass the tubing straight over most low-profile-y ram (certainly when using 13mm OD tubing)
  • Very cheap (8€ at highflow right now)
Only "disadvantage" seems to be the clamp-style tube mounting which doesn't seem popular.
And sorry if these have been suggested before. Anyway, I'll report back once I've installed these.

Reactions: Nicholas Chapman

Arqiboy

Efficiency Noob
May 1, 2020
Hi. I just received my aquanaut and frankly I’m not happy with the cutouts for the o-rings. This is how it looks:

Is it supposed to be this loose in the fit? The o-ring stretches beyond the cut out.

Also, this is the reply I got for my concern for leakage due to the bad fit

“Suggest you check out the community forum for Aquanaut:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/aquanaut-ultra-low-profile-cpu-pump-water-block.13009/

There is an active community, and there are many experienced enthusiasts who should be able to help you. Please understand that Aquanaut is sold as a DIY kit.”

well, here I am asking the community for advice. I have done one loop before, and that’s why I’m concerned with the o-ring not sitting tightly against the block.

Best regards
Arqam Hamza Ahmad

jouz

Trash Compacter
Oct 9, 2020
Is it supposed to be this loose in the fit? The o-ring stretches beyond the cut out.

I had the same reaction when I saw it and was very concerned, but it seems to work (at least I haven't seen anyone reporting on leaks).
You'll be more comfortable with this once you put it together - the mounting plate is holding the o-ring within the cutout/surface (if only barely).

Arqiboy

Efficiency Noob
May 1, 2020
I had the same reaction when I saw it and was very concerned, but it seems to work (at least I haven't seen anyone reporting on leaks).
You'll be more comfortable with this once you put it together - the mounting plate is holding the o-ring within the cutout/surface (if only barely).
Wish I could assemble it. Waiting for them to send me a new block top due to wrongly alligned holes. Thanks for the peace of mind anyways

Some pictures that describe the problem I'm having

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
I think it should be assembled like this, no ?

It looks like @Arqiboy's block just had the four counter-sunk holes in one half of the block were drilled 180º from the proper orientation. The closer ones should be on the pump cavity, while the more separated pair should be on the in/outlet side.

Bizarre QC/manufacturing issue—I guess we get a little peek inside the production/machining process!

As for the o-ring/gasket: It definitely helps to put the retention plate on, and then lay the o-ring into the channel that it creates. I had some trouble here, as I totally missed the retention plate the first time around!