Production Aquanaut Basic/Extreme - Ultra Low Profile CPU Block & Pump Mount Combo

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Unfortunately the acrylic plate that holds the cold plate that I received is cracked...
Got your email and replied. To keep the thread focused, will not discuss individual specific issues here.

Sorry if I reply late during the weekend. I need to catch up on some gaming, whilst you guys "work" on Aquanaut ? . This pre-launch has taken away many hours of my gaming time ?

Last edited:

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Just finished some quick tests and the results are looking good! Just keep in mind that they are in no way super scientific and should be treated as anecdotal:

The Loop was stressed using Cinebench R20 Looping for 1 hr to reach steady-state conditions.

System:

CPU3950x (Locked at 4.0ghz 132W)
PumpEKWB DDC 3.2 (PWM 100%)
RadiatorXSPC tx240 (25mm Slim rad)
Fans2x NF-A12x15
MotherboardAsus Strix X570-I
Noise Floor36 Db
Room Temp23.5 C
CaseNcase M1 v 6.1 Stock Panels

Results

Apogee Drive iiAquanaut
Noise39 db40 db
Pump Body Temp41.1 C42.5 C
CCD1 Temp61.25 C61.75 C
CCD2 Temp60.25 C61.25 C
Tdie62.38 C63.25 C
Cinebench Score8891 CB8904 CB

From my perspective, the temps noise and temps look well within the margin of error and could be down to mount variance or some unbled air in the loop. As for user experience, its mostly good. The instructions were easy to follow and the machining on the block looks very good.

One suggestion is to look at a different mounting system. It is by no means difficult, but the washers sit just above the last threads on the stud, so if they aren't perfectly aligned, the can slip off easily when screwing in the thumbnuts. It would also be nice to have thumb nuts with a Philips head on the top. ITX systems are tight, and even on an open bench, it can be tough to push down and tighten the thumbscrews at the same time to engage the threads. Finally, when screwing the studs into the backplate, it will leave some space between the motherboard and the backplate. This isn't a problem because the thumbscrews and springs create mounting pressure, but to a new user, it may seem like something is wrong.

Here are some quick and dirty pics of the setup: Pic 1 Pic 2
Data looks good so far, at least comparable with Apogee, as a water block product can't do much about noise coming out from separate pump. I think we don't need to go full speed in real life situation, it should be ok if flow rate can be kept at 0.7gpm.

Last edited:

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@fatmandandan you mentioned you are using Asus Strix X570-I for motherboard. Appreciate if you could take picture of the motherboard with the waterblock/pump mounted to show that height clearance is ok with the motherboard components. It could give a peace of mind for others who are worried about the compatibility with mounting. Cheers?

Reactions: sos

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Ended up being a long night at work and didn't get to inspect the block until this morning. My first impression is that overall it looks super solid and fairly easy to assemble.

Both of my acrylic plates have some surface scratches and small nicks on the edges though. In the final product packaging, it may be worth wrapping these individually, as my guess is that they rattled against each other in transit. To clean up these prototypes, do you have a suggested method of polishing that won't leave a bunch of scratches and ruin the surface finish? Or am I better of just leaving it for now? (I've cleaned up a few different varieties of polycarbinate, but know that acrylic behaves a bit different).

The finish on the contact side of the jet plate has some obvious machining marks, but is otherwise a pretty decent finish. I might end up lapping this with a datum plate at work just because I'm nitpicky.

Anyway, I'm excited to start playing with this thing once the rest of the components get here.

AP2

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 1, 2017
@Nouvolo - I think the block can be improved with a 3rd screw located in here in the pic. there is a very very slight bow on that side as 2 screws on the edge doesnt have enough clamping force to pull it tight cause of the o-ring. Anyhow, pressure tested it and no leaks - will be tossing this in my T1 this weekend.

fatmandandan

Efficiency Noob
Aug 29, 2020
@fatmandandan you mentioned you are using Asus Strix X570-I for motherboard. Appreciate if you could take picture of the motherboard with the waterblock/pump mounted to show that height clearance is ok with the motherboard components. It could give a peace of mind for others who are worried about the compatibility with mounting. Cheers?
Yup!, Planning a full loop rebuild later today, so Ill try to grab some higher quality pics showing the clearances around the socket.

Also about pump noise, I just ran it at 100% to normalize results. Normally I run it at around 1200rpm and both the aquanaut and the APD2 are functionally silent at 1 ft away.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
edit: Nevermind. I think I was being thick. Forgot the mounting plate. Wish I could delete my message now haha. You can see the small crack in the image however, though I'm not sure if that'll affect the install. going to air test it soon after I install the pump

You're not alone! Took me a while to realize what I'd forgotten. ?

Reactions: DrHudacris

fatmandandan

Efficiency Noob
Aug 29, 2020
Yup!, Planning a full loop rebuild later today, so Ill try to grab some higher quality pics showing the clearances around the socket.

Also about pump noise, I just ran it at 100% to normalize results. Normally I run it at around 1200rpm and both the aquanaut and the APD2 are functionally silent at 1 ft away.
Here are some pictures showing motherboard clearance with the Strix X570-I. There's about 5mm between the heatsink and the water block

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Found myself blocked by uncertainty, vis a vis routing tubes in and out of the Aquanaut, but thought I'd post a few images as I prepped the pump/block + system.

Fortunately, got the whole thing assembled, flushed, and tested at 100% PWM for a minute or two—the Aquanaut is significantly quieter at maximum RPM, in my opinion. Not sure what the difference would be, or if I'm mistaken that both pumps are in fact the MCP35X. ?

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@Nouvolo - I think the block can be improved with a 3rd screw located in here in the pic. there is a very very slight bow on that side as 2 screws on the edge doesnt have enough clamping force to pull it tight cause of the o-ring. Anyhow, pressure tested it and no leaks - will be tossing this in my T1 this weekend.
I have considered add screw there also, I have an alternate version draft with screw and another version with wider water channel (possible extra port). But haven't quite worked out that part yet, maybe for next version.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
So far we have a fairly thorough test by @fatmandandan - in terms of temps/noise/fitting on ROG Strix X570i.

I am thinking if we can get 1 more user preliminary test and review, then will go for official launch, and will talk to Ali@OptimumTech. I can't thank you enough to make Aquanaut possible?
When you launch, can you please run another round of pre-orders here on the forums? I don't care about the price, I just don't want to miss out on getting one of these due to not checking the site for a day or two.

Reactions: DrHudacris

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
My weekend has been a bit frustrating, I have had a radiator leak (in the house) which refused to seal. I had intended to do a side by side comparison with my apogee but didn't get the time to do it due to DIY taking up most of the weekend.

I have just finished setting up my loop up with the Aquanaut. Very impressed, flow and sound appears similar / identical to the Apogee but routing of tubing is a lot easier. Stripped out:

New bends aren't perfect, but my new radiator isn't here, so I will likely need to redo them when it arrives anyway.

Interestingly some with careful cable routing or VLP ram and using a dual radiator like I am, it may be possible to use this setup in 3 slot mode

Thats about 24mm....