Production Aquanaut Basic/Extreme - Ultra Low Profile CPU Block & Pump Mount Combo

BCGA.tech

Caliper Novice
Aug 14, 2020
That's so nice, i really like the design. When will be available, and what is the ddc with lower height i can buy? My project case has 57 mm of clearance for water cooling loops.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Anyone familiar with the retention system? Trying to imagine what order the PVC washers go in…

For example:
  1. Backplate
  2. Mainboard
  3. Washer
  4. Threaded rod
  5. Retention bracket
  6. Washer (???)
  7. Spring
  8. Thumbscrew
…or…
  1. Backplate
  2. Mainboard
  3. Threaded rod
  4. Retention Bracket
  5. Washer
  6. Spring
  7. Washer
  8. Thumbscrew
The first option seems most like EK’s strategy (protecting the mainboard), but the latter seems like it would provide the smoothest installation (no weird accumulated friction or skipping as the spring rotates).

There are 8 total washers.

Edit: Photo! First option is on the left, second is on the right:

Last edited:
Reactions: Nouvolo

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Anyone familiar with the retention system? Trying to imagine what order the PVC washers go in…

Edit: Photo! First option is on the left, second is on the right:
Suggest the right hand side way to use the washers.? i.e. thumbscrew-washer-spring-washer

Last edited:
Reactions: August

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
My unit is arriving today. Honestly don't think I've ever had shipping this fast before! I also received a 15mm 240mm rad from Taobao yesterday, so going to attempt to install that in 3-slot mode in the T1 for a dual 240mm build. Hopefully everything fits and I'll be sure to take photos for both this and the T1 thread.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
@Nouvolo Intel unit arrived, I am sat here assembling it, Overall is definite a solid 8/10, before I even use it. Very impressed.

Initial feedback:
  • General build quality is excellent
    • Frosted and clear Perspex are crisp and well made
    • Metal frames and screws are of good quality.
    • O-Rings are clean and appear well made
    • Threads all well cut and in correct positions.
    • Some tooling markings, nothing I haven't seen from other manufacturers.

• Minor Observations (nit-picks, for your info as its a new launch product)
    • Jet plate appears to have different surface finish on one side
    • There may be a possible improvement on the flow on the feed from the pump impellor to the cold plate.

• Possible more serious concern - I could install the cold plate the wrong way round.
    • The instructions show the correct way to install it, however, as is it possible to do, is it possible add a nub to the cold plate to force you install it the right way automatically?

Last edited:

SoSquidTaste

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
Oh gosh. Catching up on this thread, I saw initial plans to send a unit to OptimumTech for review. I'd... better try to get my interest posted in here before the post-OT wave of followers comes through! Been watching this once since one of our FormD T1-ers mentioned it in thread there a couple of months ago :]

I'm very excited at the potential for this to drive dual-rad setups in my T1 down the road as well! (Thinking along the lines of @wenyuax mentioning dual 240 rad cooling 3950X and 3080)

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Oh gosh. Catching up on this thread, I saw initial plans to send a unit to OptimumTech for review. I'd... better try to get my interest posted in here before the post-OT wave of followers comes through! Been watching this once since one of our FormD T1-ers mentioned it in thread there a couple of months ago :]
I will launch the product and contact Ali@OptimumTech as soon as we have some photos/data/review from this early batch ?. Anyway only limited quantities are made so far.

tokes808

Average Stuffer
Aug 24, 2020
I am interested and have your website bookmarked ! I need to do more research to see if it clears in the Ghost S1 & if the alphacool 40 dc-lt would be needed for a reservoir.

fatmandandan

Efficiency Noob
Aug 29, 2020
Just finished some quick tests and the results are looking good! Just keep in mind that they are in no way super scientific and should be treated as anecdotal:

The Loop was stressed using Cinebench R20 Looping for 1 hr to reach steady-state conditions.

System:

CPU3950x (Locked at 4.0ghz 132W)
PumpEKWB DDC 3.2 (PWM 100%)
RadiatorXSPC tx240 (25mm Slim rad)
Fans2x NF-A12x15
MotherboardAsus Strix X570-I
Noise Floor36 Db
Room Temp23.5 C
CaseNcase M1 v 6.1 Stock Panels

Results

Apogee Drive iiAquanaut
Noise39 db40 db
Pump Body Temp41.1 C42.5 C
CCD1 Temp61.25 C61.75 C
CCD2 Temp60.25 C61.25 C
Tdie62.38 C63.25 C
Cinebench Score8891 CB8904 CB

From my perspective, the temps noise and temps look well within the margin of error and could be down to mount variance or some unbled air in the loop. As for user experience, its mostly good. The instructions were easy to follow and the machining on the block looks very good.

One suggestion is to look at a different mounting system. It is by no means difficult, but the washers sit just above the last threads on the stud, so if they aren't perfectly aligned, the can slip off easily when screwing in the thumbnuts. It would also be nice to have thumb nuts with a Philips head on the top. ITX systems are tight, and even on an open bench, it can be tough to push down and tighten the thumbscrews at the same time to engage the threads. Finally, when screwing the studs into the backplate, it will leave some space between the motherboard and the backplate. This isn't a problem because the thumbscrews and springs create mounting pressure, but to a new user, it may seem like something is wrong.

Here are some quick and dirty pics of the setup: Pic 1 Pic 2

fatmandandan

Efficiency Noob
Aug 29, 2020
Nope, I haven't found it necessary. In normal use I run the pump at 15% pwm and even with the fans spinning at an inaudible speed, the pump casing never exceeds 30 C. If anything, i'll probably 3d print a casing with airflow holes to allow air to flow around the armature.

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
Unfortunately the acrylic plate that holds the cold plate that I received is cracked. I've reached out to nuovolo and I'm sure I'll hear back soon. I do have another question for everyone else that's received and assembled theirs. How did you position the o-ring to secure the cold plate to the acrylic? Photo below of mine and I can't tell if I'm being thick or my O-ring is too large, thanks.

edit: Nevermind. I think I was being thick. Forgot the mounting plate. Wish I could delete my message now haha. You can see the small crack in the image however, though I'm not sure if that'll affect the install. going to air test it soon after I install the pump

Last edited: