Production Aquanaut Basic/Extreme - Ultra Low Profile CPU Block & Pump Mount Combo

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
I had some issues with PayPal guest checkout. Was fine when I used the account option.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
This might seem like a noob question but would I need a reservoir also ? Or is this similar to the lt solo ?

A reservoir isn't a requirement, but can be helpful. The Aquanaut doesn't have a dedicated fill port, so you'll have to figure out a spot for one, elsewhere.

There seem to be basically three distinct strategies for loops without a reservoir:
  1. T-fitting with some kind of valve, to which you'd attach a length of tubing to fill + drain
  2. A radiator with extra ports that can be opened to fill + drain (I'd recommend some kind of lead, to make sure any spills happen away from the computer)
  3. Quick-disconnects that allow you to "open" the loop in at least one place, then attach another set of quick-disconnects so water can go in and displaced air can leave (or vice-versa, for draining)
I prefer #3, but to each their own!

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
A reservoir isn't a requirement, but can be helpful. The Aquanaut doesn't have a dedicated fill port, so you'll have to figure out a spot for one, elsewhere.

There seem to be basically three distinct strategies for loops without a reservoir:
  1. T-fitting with some kind of valve, to which you'd attach a length of tubing to fill + drain
  2. A radiator with extra ports that can be opened to fill + drain (I'd recommend some kind of lead, to make sure any spills happen away from the computer)
  3. Quick-disconnects that allow you to "open" the loop in at least one place, then attach another set of quick-disconnects so water can go in and displaced air can leave (or vice-versa, for draining)
I prefer #3, but to each their own!

All a reservoir does is help trap bubbles as they float around your system.

I have had some success with adding even a small “makeshift” reservoir into a loop at the highest point.

Here I use a flow indicator with the wheel removed. It captures the air as it moves past and helps bleed the loop.

Jerdz

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2019
All a reservoir does is help trap bubbles as they float around your system.

I have had some success with adding even a small “makeshift” reservoir into a loop at the highest point.

Here I use a flow indicator with the wheel removed. It captures the air as it moves past and helps bleed the loop.
just curious why you're using 2x 120mm rads

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
just curious why you're using 2x 120mm rads

T1 has limited clearance under the mobo side for a radiator.

I have managed to squeeze a 27mm radiator (Magicool M2 slim) with a A12x15 fan. I believe the PSU side allows for a 38mm radiator (mine is still in the post from china) and a 25mm fan. This dual radiator combination should give better performance than a single 240 radiator limited to 27mm.

It also means I can run the loop as follows. CPU >> Rad >> GPU >> Rad

So I may get slightly lower component temperatures as fluid has gone through a rad before entering a component. I'm secretly hoping when I get my Aquanaut I can replace the Apogee and switch my config to a 3 slot on the the GPU side and get another radiator in....

Reactions: Jerdz and Fitchew

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Wonder why T1 only supports 27mm height rad but not 30mm... only 3mm taller... that extra 2-3mm with so much compromise?
Anyway Aquanaut is probably going to be as thin as it gets for combo water block. I will look into fitting one more port later. But it's a dilemma trying to add reservoir (major feature) and trying to keep the same dimensions... physics dominates and space-time doesn't collapse outside of black holes ?

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Wonder why T1 only supports 27mm height rad but not 30mm... only 3mm taller... that extra 2-3mm with so much compromise?
Anyway Aquanaut is probably going to be as thin as it gets for combo water block. I will look into fitting one more port later. But it's a dilemma trying to add reservoir (major feature) and trying to keep the same dimensions... physics dominates and space-time doesn't collapse outside of black holes ?

Personally I think its easier to add a res somewhere else in the loop, as long as its above the in port of the block you should be ok.

In terms of the T1, I believe initially the case was designed for a 120 AIO under the PSU. Its the community here (looking at you @fabio and @DrHudacris) that have gone mental and added more radiators, SLI GPU's and other unimaginable things that the case wasn't designed for.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
IIRC it's because Wahaha tested a bunch of 240 AIO and concluded that 27mm thick was good enough to not incur the extra volume from that additional 3mm of height

In terms of the T1, I believe initially the case was designed for a 120 AIO under the PSU. Its the community here (looking at you @fabio and @DrHudacris) that have gone mental and added more radiators, SLI GPU's and other unimaginable things that the case wasn't designed for.
first 30mm thick rad, and then a 20mm rad + 25mm fan combo...

Reactions: Goatee

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017

I'm with @Goatee , adding a small res elsewhere probably makes the most sense. Having a 3rd port for filling though would be helpful for those without a res or radiator that has a dedicated fill port.

I did have a question about DDC pumps though, is there a good reference that compares the various manufacturers? I haven't done a custom loop in years and am always a bit weary of manufacturer specs, often tested under ultra optimistic parameters.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Aren't they all DDCs rebadged Laing pumps ? Except for maybe the DDC310 from Alphacool ?

As far as I know, all Alphacool DDC options are Laing. They're either explicitly sold as Laing, or include some markings to that effect.

With @Allhopeforhumanity, I'm curious about how the various models perform—my impression was that the primary difference is the pump top/housing, but we have an opportunity to normalize that, with the Aquanaut!

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
@Nouvolo got any updates?

Rebuilt my T1 with a 2080ti and SF750 today as I had realised I was playing with fire when drawing 320W on the GPU with a SF450.

When refilling the loop I encountered a airlock with my apogee, they are frustrating to resolve.

I’m so looking forward to trying out the Aquanaut.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@Nouvolo got any updates?

Rebuilt my T1 with a 2080ti and SF750 today as I had realised I was playing with fire when drawing 320W on the GPU with a SF450.

When refilling the loop I encountered a airlock with my apogee, they are frustrating to resolve.

I’m so looking forward to trying out the Aquanaut.
Will be shipped out this week and email with tracking info sent later this week.