Production Aquanaut Basic/Extreme - Ultra Low Profile CPU Block & Pump Mount Combo

samyope

Chassis Packer
Aug 16, 2019
All of them can if you rewire the molex power to the 4-pin power. I don't know of any that has a 4-pin only by design though.
Only thing you have to make sure is that whatever you plug it to can take the load but you are fine with your controller.
2A fan headers on motherboards can take a 12V, 1.5A ddc pump no problem.

Reactions: Van0

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
All of them can if you rewire the molex power to the 4-pin power. I don't know of any that has a 4-pin only by design though.
Only thing you have to make sure is that whatever you plug it to can take the load but you are fine with your controller.
2A fan headers on motherboards can take a 12V, 1.5A ddc pump no problem.
From my experience it is best to leave the molex, for testing and filling the loop. You may not want to power up the whole system when the loop is not filled and/or not working. With molex you can power the pump with ATX power jumper without powering up the motherboard. You can use a potentiometer to adjust pump speed when filling/testing.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
From my experience it is best to leave the molex, for testing and filling the loop. You may not want to power up the whole system when the loop is not filled and/or not working. With molex you can power the pump with ATX power jumper without powering up the motherboard. You can use a potentiometer to adjust pump speed when filling/testing.

I agree, however for less cable clutter I still cut out the molex. I use a Noctua NA-FC1 to do what your describing when filing my loops. Great bit of kit.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Maybe this will be obvious when assembling, but I can't picture how the pump attaches... the screws that fasten the MCP35X top to the pump are definitely intended for the POM/Delrin material that Swiftech uses, but I can't imagine it's suitable for cutting its own threads into the Acetal block?

Hmm, ok, looking more closely at the prototype images, I see that threads are already tapped in the top part of the block. Are we responsible for sourcing appropriate machine screws? I only see the counter-sunk screws for the cold plate. ?

If you have any specs to share (i.e. threading), that would be amazing!

wenyuax

Average Stuffer
Aug 16, 2020
Are there any DDC pumps that can be powered through the 4-pin connector only? Wouldn't mind getting rid of that molex and plugging into my aquacomputer, which can handle the maximum loads
EKWB DDC 3.1 can do it. It has only 6w power and it able to push a loop with two radiator and two waterblocks. However it's a little hard to find it lol. I found it from the second-hand market.

Reactions: pwnedundies

samyope

Chassis Packer
Aug 16, 2019
I have a 3-pin to molex adapter for that purpose but you are right, it is convenient to keep the molex for filling the loop.

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020

Just FYI, the person asking about that was using the Aquacomputer controller (the Quadro, I presume). It works without powering the whole system on.
Once the PSU is jump-started (so the Quadro is powered via Molex), any pumps connected to the quadro ports that are pre-configured to be turned on will work. I used this method for bleeding my custom loop with the Alpacool DC-LT pump (by connecting it directly to the Quadro and jumping the PSU).

// cc @Van0

samyope

Chassis Packer
Aug 16, 2019
Maybe this will be obvious when assembling, but I can't picture how the pump attaches... the screws that fasten the MCP35X top to the pump are definitely intended for the POM/Delrin material that Swiftech uses, but I can't imagine it's suitable for cutting its own threads into the Acetal block?

Hmm, ok, looking more closely at the prototype images, I see that threads are already tapped in the top part of the block. Are we responsible for sourcing appropriate machine screws? I only see the counter-sunk screws for the cold plate. ?

I think it is standard 20mm M4 screws that you get with any ddc housing, Swiftech uses shitty self tapping screws.

Reactions: August

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com

All pumps that you buy should include the M4 screws already. Different pumps may have slightly different height due to its housing (and different screw lengths). So it is not practical for me to provide screws for pumps.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
All pumps that you buy should include the M4 screws already. Different pumps may have slightly different height due to its housing (and different screw lengths). So it is not practical for me to provide screws for pumps.

Thanks, that's totally fair!

In case anyone else is planning on using the MCP35X, heed @samyope's comment—it won't come with the appropriate hardware. The body looks to be about 20mm thick, but the head of the screw may actually seat significantly below the surface.

All in all, this makes me want to pick up a proper heatsink… the Swiftech one is oddly-sized, and also attaches with self-tapping screws. ?

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Thanks, that's totally fair!

In case anyone else is planning on using the MCP35X, heed @samyope's comment—it won't come with the appropriate hardware. The body looks to be about 20mm thick, but the head of the screw may actually seat significantly below the surface.

All in all, this makes me want to pick up a proper heatsink… the Swiftech one is oddly-sized, and also attaches with self-tapping screws. ?
I have bought a switftech, I can confirm the screws they use is not M4.... I have bought about 5 different DDC brands, and it is the only odd one out...so buyer beware

samyope

Chassis Packer
Aug 16, 2019
I grabbed a cheap Barrow ddc housing that should do it. I will try to tap the Apogee drive to M4 to get rid of the original screws. Disassembly is always a pain with the self tapping screws, I always fear that the little supports will break with the torque.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I grabbed a cheap Barrow ddc housing that should do it. I will try to tap the Apogee drive to M4 to get rid of the original screws. Disassembly is always a pain with the self tapping screws, I always fear that the little supports will break with the torque.
Don't think you need to tap to M4, you don't need the top, which is where the threads are. You just need to get some M4 screws with similar length to those of original pump. No need to "break" anything.

samyope

Chassis Packer
Aug 16, 2019
Don't think you need to tap to M4, you don't need the top, which is where the threads are. You just need to get some M4 screws with similar length to those of original pump. No need to "break" anything.
Oh yeah I know, it is M4 threaded which is great and standard :)
I tapped my Apogee Drive 2 top to M4 because there were no threads and I broke one of the protusion on the top where you screw the stock housing with the self-tapping screws.
Had to glue the bit that broke with loctite, @August appears to have one too, so I was just describing what I did in case he wants to use his pump with an aftermarket housing, while waiting for your block.

Last edited:

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Oh yeah I know, it is M4 threaded which is great and standard :)
I tapped my Apogee Drive 2 top to M4 because there were no threads and I broke one of the protusion on the top where you screw the stock housing with the self-tapping screws.
Had to glue the bit that broke with loctite, @August appears to have one too, so I was just describing what I did in case he wants to use his pump with an aftermarket housing, while waiting for your block.
I haven't looked at Swiftech too closely maybe will do that when get back to office tmr. Swiftech "DDC" seems "slightly different" from others. Hope apart from the screws, the rest will be ok.

Just realized that Swiftech MCP50X (the one I got) is not compatible with standard DDC pump tops. But MCP35X seems to be ok.
D9OCmaYl.jpg

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Maybe the new EKWB VTX is similar to the MCP50X? I really loved the VTX, but is thicker of 1cm than the DDC. But support all the DDC top! ;)

Reactions: Nouvolo