Production Aquanaut Basic/Extreme - Ultra Low Profile CPU Block & Pump Mount Combo

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
There was some talk about some of the koolance QD in black having corrosion issues due to the coating. Experienced any issues?
I’ve only some paint removal from the male one for connecting and disconnecting. Not any other issue!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@Nouvolo

So, the general quality of the Aquanaut is ok! I've got:
  • A few marks on the acrylic body
  • The bottom part is not completely transparent, maybe manufacturing issue/acrylic quality?
  • Too bulky mounting system
  • Only 1 rotation mount for the AM4 type
  • Cold-plate a bit MHE (I would like to see more fins/more fins area
  • I don't see the point of the included jet plate, because in this case like in the Swiftech APOGEE the block is "sucking" water from the central part. The normal block have the opposite flow
  • I LOVED the screws and thread, really well machined
About the temp, I couldn't really evaluate the difference with my previous EKWB magnitude block, because thank to the Aquanaut I was able to install a second 240 rad in the T1.

But I am getting pretty good temps!!
I've filled the system with an external Pump-Reservoir, and there is no splash or air in the loop, so no weird sound from the pump!

BTW, to mount it I've used the EKWB Velocity Black mounting kit, basically the backplate and screws/springs! Much smaller than the integrated one, and BLACK.

This is a game-changer for SFF builds!
Thanks to the creator to give me the opportunity to try it before the official launch!

There are a few things that can be improved like:
  • the possibility to rotate 90 degrees the AM4 type
  • have a better mounting system
  • having the coldplate's gasket integrated into the block, like the EKWB velocity
  • a black POM version
Here a pic of the final system, I will add more tomorrow with daylight!

Last edited:

matador1182

Chassis Packer
Feb 16, 2020
@fabio Do you get better temps without the jet plate? I can see the jet plate slowing down flow to allow the water time to absorb more heat but I'd be curious to see actual testing

Does anyone know if this is just a regular DDC pump and if it'll fit in the aquanaut btw?

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@fabio Do you get better temps without the jet plate? I can see the jet plate slowing down flow to allow the water time to absorb more heat but I'd be curious to see actual testing

Does anyone know if this is just a regular DDC pump and if it'll fit in the aquanaut btw?

I didn't test it, maybe soon I will try it, but I am pretty sure will not change.

That pump, the S1, will work, but I've it, it's taller and way louder than a normal DDC pump!

matador1182

Chassis Packer
Feb 16, 2020
I didn't test it, maybe soon I will try it, but I am pretty sure will not change.

That pump, the S1, will work, but I've it, it's taller and way louder than a normal DDC pump!

Thanks!!! Damnn phew I would've almost got it.

Do you guys have any recommended DDC pumps? Thoughts on barrow DDC pumps?

Lastly I was thinking about swapping out the cold plate with TechN's am4 coldplate. Do you guys think it'll fit, and if it'll maybe produce a 5°C reduction in temps

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@Fabro : I will go stricter QC for next batch in terms of finishing. I also realized some of them may not be polished so well (i.e. more on the frosted end than clear), but only aesthetics and shouldn't affect the performance. First time working with this CNC miller, so just ordered the smallest quantity possible and don't have enough to go around if reject too many ?

Reactions: DrHudacris

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Thanks!!! Damnn phew I would've almost got it.

Do you guys have any recommended DDC pumps? Thoughts on barrow DDC pumps?

Lastly I was thinking about swapping out the cold plate with TechN's am4 coldplate. Do you guys think it'll fit, and if it'll maybe produce a 5°C reduction in temps
5C just for the coldplate, forget it. maybe 1/2C?

But I am not even sure with the Aquanaut. It is not thought to be optimized for any CPU. Is engineered just to be compatible with sockets and CPU, giving the possibility to have a DDC pump under 50mm.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
They have actually! I have it!
Which ones? The only ones I can see with internal/female g1/4 threading are the ones that also have external threads for mounting through a panel, like I mentioned before. I could probably live with one of those, but I would much prefer one without the external threads (both for looks and for lowering the amount of suspended sharp metal edges). The rest have male g1/4 threads from what I can see.
Has anyone tried this one? Looks like this opens up an extra fill port possibility??

View attachment 816
I'll likely be using something like that for the temp sensors in my loop, though it'll be a while before I reconfigure it fully to include the Aquanaut (for now I have one by the GPU outlet and one by the outlet from my biggest radiator). I'll be using QDCs for filling and draining though.

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
I finished my own dual rad FormD T1 build with the aquanaut. No flex even with heatsink with the EK-DDC 3.2 PWM pump. I used the low profile Koolance 90 degree fittings. Small table of results showing how pump speed affects temps below. This is a perfect solution for me in this case and I don't think I'm going to fiddle with it any longer! I've got a more detailed post in the FormD T1 forum if anyone is interested.

TestCPU tempGPU tempCoolant temp
2000rpm885142
3000rpm864941
4000rpm844738.5
4500rpm834537

Vatzz

Chassis Packer
Sep 29, 2020
I think that the mounting kits should be improved. When I using the original mounting kits, it's hard to lock those screws and a bit uneven. So the temperature performance was not good as I thought. After changing to EK's mounting kits (from supremacy EVO), than it performed much better.

I believe it will work. Seems someone has already fitted that mount to the block.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Say, if I bought the Intel version, will this work if I try to mount it to an AMD board ?
Not really. I mean, it works, BUT, the cutout is bigger than the included one, so the gasket is not kept in place.
That's why I've suggested to @Nouvolo to integrate the gasket in the BLOCK, so we can use also other mounting system.

Reactions: sos