Production Aquanaut Basic/Extreme - Ultra Low Profile CPU Block & Pump Mount Combo

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
The merging of objects is a surprisingly fast process, done in a few minutes 😁

Aquanaut Extreme simplified/merged 3D Model can be downloaded here:

As to potential copying of my product, I have no control and I don't lose sleep over it. We all borrow ideas from here and there and try to improve and innovate, by doing our own work. It is just plain stupid to reinvent the wheel every time, just trying to be "noble" in one's self-imposed "moral" standard. I didn't invent the SFF sandwich config SFF (Steck), and it won't surprise me if someone's trying to do me one better on this, but at least buy one from me 😭, out of courtesy or acknowledgment.
Like I said, someone who wants to copy your work wouldn't relay on STEP files, he would order your product and inspect it closely... probably.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Like I said, someone who wants to copy your work wouldn't relay on STEP files
Wrong, they could just copy my product 100% with my original STEP files... The original STEP files allow anyone to go to a CNC milling shop and make an identical copy.

And even if they could buy and reconstruct the model themselves, it doesn't mean I will facilitate or make it easy for whoever wants to copy by releasing the original source files. I only had the original source file for production at the time of your request, and I was not prepared to release those, before I decided made a simplified version of the model.

Edit: This project started by the need of a block combo for T1, which is probably the most PITA case to engineer accessories for. I thought it was a good challenge to take on for an SFF enthusiast, which could also be useful for my other products (Steck). Since it fits in T1, I think I am qualified to say that one has done something wrong if one cannot make the loop fit in other (bigger) cases.

Last edited:

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
Wrong, they could just copy my product 100% with my original STEP files... The original STEP files allow anyone to go to a CNC milling shop and make an identical copy.

And even if they could buy and reconstruct the model themselves, it doesn't mean I will facilitate or make it easy for whoever wants to copy by releasing the original source files. I only had the original source file for production at the time of your request, and I was not prepared to release those, before I decided made a simplified version of the model.

Edit: This project started by the need of a block combo for T1, which is probably the most PITA case to engineer accessories for. I thought it was a good challenge to take on for an SFF enthusiast, which could also be useful for my other products (Steck). Since it fits in T1, I think I am qualified to say that one has done something wrong if one cannot make the loop fit in other (bigger) cases.
I meant the STEP files you released, not the complete one, my bad, should have made it more clear

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I meant the STEP files you released, not the complete one, my bad, should have made it more clear
np, my guess is that you probably dipping your toe in using in 3D CAD design software (fusion 360?). You may just use it to check for fitting as hobbyist, but it is a proper professional software when applied to its full potential.

You may not know how powerful the STEP files can be. The files can contain detailed info for direct creation of the final product (generating G-code), especially for CNC process.

It is often NOT ok to simply just request for "STEP file" straight up, as this implies the original design source in creator's point of view. But be very specific on what kind of design files you want, which the author may not (most probably not) have. e.g. outline of the whole product, as it is of no use to me.

You mentioned Liang Li releases source files of all its products, I haven't checked, I assume you are correct. PC cases often involves metal sheet stamping and this requires big investment (hundreds of thousands of USD) in tooling equipment. So maybe it is not so critical giving away the source model files.

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
np, my guess is that you probably dipping your toe in using in 3D CAD design software (fusion 360?). You may just use it to check for fitting as hobbyist, but it is a proper professional software when applied to its full potential.

You may not know how powerful the STEP files can be. The files can contain detailed info for direct creation of the final product (generating G-code), especially for CNC process.

It is often NOT ok to simply just request for "STEP file" straight up, as this implies the original design source in creator's point of view. But be very specific on what kind of design files you want, which the author may not (most probably not) have. e.g. outline of the whole product, as it is of no use to me.

You mentioned Liang Li releases source files of all its products, I haven't checked, I assume you are correct. PC cases often involves metal sheet stamping and this requires big investment (hundreds of thousands of USD) in tooling equipment. So maybe it is not so critical giving away the source model files.
I started modeling about 6 days ago, so you are correct.

About Lian Li - the impressive part is, and this was the one that got me so upset with you earlier -
The Q58 STEP files weren't actually released (check their website, they are available for tons of other cases - but not the Q58) - I requested them by email - and they simply sent them to me.

I completely understand your point now - I should have made that crystal clear from the beginning that I am only requesting a rough model for measurement only and not the actual source code.

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
I am supposed to be able to use one of the filling port for a plug temperature sensor with no issues, right?
I am thinking maybe because there isn't much of a flow at the filling port it could be problematic maybe?

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
Can anyone share tips about bleeding the system without a reservoir?
If I fill the loop almost completely, and top the TOP fill port of the Extreme and let it run, will the air go out through that port?
Can someone share from experience?

SimonAdit

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 2, 2021
It is air-cooled. I don't want to watercool until I can get my hands on a FE edition of the 3080 or 3090 and use the limited edition EK waterblock that's really short.

It isn't plug and play, but if you use the ThermalTake Toughfan 140s, you can shave the edges off to the first notch on three sides. This allows them to fit in the recess/airgap that is usually left over between the radiator fins and the actual mounting tabs. That allows you to take 7mm off the total depth of the 70mm with the 45mm rad/25mm fans. Next you have to remove the interior motherboard 'tray/spine' place the radiator and fans mounted in, then reinstall the motherboard tray. There's not enough clearance to slide it in with the spine in place. My setup takes up exactly the 63mm clearance that is available. A little modding and you can make anything work! After all this is SmallFormFactor.net hahahaha

Most unfortunately, I'm not at home, near that computer for another day or two, but I'll take pics when I can and get them uploaded for a visual reference.

I kind of want to wait until I fully complete the build though. I notched out the top of the spine to allow a slim Noctua 120mm fan across top and I'm mounting one over the motherboard with some 3d printed brackets as well. Then plan to place 2 60mm fans in the back with a 3d printed bracket where the horizontal video card brackets would be. All 4 fans will be intake to pull in cold air for video card, and cold air across the motherboard for lower m.2/ram temps. I'm waiting on brackets and the fans still. but I'll post progress pics in the meantime if desired.
Can't wait to see some pictures of your Meshlicious

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
I have a question. There's two sets of mounting screwns, the black finish and the silver finish. Are they meant to have different threads? If so, kind of bummed that Intel mounting only gets to use silver when I ordered a black unit. Care to enlighten me?

Edit: Also a little concerned with the mounting pressure. It’s very loose and wiggles even thought it’s fully tightened :/ Is that normal?

Last edited:

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I have a question. There's two sets of mounting screwns, the black finish and the silver finish. Are they meant to have different threads? If so, kind of bummed that Intel mounting only gets to use silver when I ordered a black unit. Care to enlighten me?

Edit: Also a little concerned with the mounting pressure. It’s very loose and wiggles even thought it’s fully tightened :/ Is that normal?
different color thumbscrews for intel/amd so that worker will not mix up when packing.

what wiggles ?

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
different color thumbscrews for intel/amd so that worker will not mix up when packing.

what wiggles ?

Thats a real shame. Black on black would look so much better in my opinion. Alas, it is not to be.

I can move the block, it doesn’t feel very tight against the CPU. I will test the thermals tomorrow. Might just be that I’m used to tighter blocks.

Edit: CPU temps under gaming loads of 160W~ seem to be comparable to my optimus cpu block with liquid metal. So the mounting pressure must be adequate :)

Last edited:

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
I read in this thread that the supplied screws might not fit all pump covers,
Anyone happened to test with the Barrow's pump cover?
If they wont fit I would like to know before my cover arrives so I will purchase the right screws in advance.

Thanks

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Included screws were too long for the EKWB pump cover, but using the ones EKWB bundled with the pump cover worked a treat for me. If the Barrow cover includes screws, they should match up to the right thread, and hopefully the right length

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
Included screws were too long for the EKWB pump cover, but using the ones EKWB bundled with the pump cover worked a treat for me. If the Barrow cover includes screws, they should match up to the right thread, and hopefully the right length
Appreciate it, can't wait to start building after months of scavenging for parts :D

• Love
Reactions: confusis

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
Sadly life happened and I have to cancel my build :(
Very sad.

Selling my Extreme unit in the US - brand new - never used - received it few days ago.

I would have returned it, but with restocking fee and shipping charges, not worth it.

• Sad
Reactions: Valantar