Production Aquanaut Basic/Extreme - Ultra Low Profile CPU Block & Pump Mount Combo

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
Can you just add a length of tubing (possibly with a ball valve cut-off) to act as a temporary reservoir?
That's exactly what I plan to do. Gonna put a valve at the lowest point in the loop and fill\drain with it with a very long soft tube.
Gonna fill it until it actually fill some of the soft tube and then just turn on the pump and let all the air come to the soft tube after the valve.
Once done, I close the valve and disconnect the soft tube.
Profit

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
Recieved my aquanaut not to long ago, my 10900k was out for delidding as well, and it showed up yesterday. I stripped my build out of the case and set everything up on the workbench so I could swap blocks easily. Gpu/cpu load is provided by kombuster cpu burner using 18 of the 20 threads available, and Unigine Heaven looping on the gpu. Cpu is held to 97-100% usage, and gpu runs 96-98%.

Push/pull noctua a12x25’s on hardware labs gtr 280 radiator. Delidded 10900k, 4.9ghz all core. 3080ti fe with ek block 114% power limit, stock clocks. Swiftech mcp35x pump. Fans were run at full speed, pump around 3000rpm. Aquareo 6 xt is what I used to monitor radiator intake/exhaust temps as well as loop temp while testing on the bench. In previous testing I found an ekwb supremacy evo to be the same temps as the apogee drive II when run using the mcp35x as a stand alone pump. I didn’t retest the supremacy on the 10900k however.

The aquanaut extreme was the quietest of the three, but both aquanaut units run quieter then the apogee. The apogee has a noticeable sound to it as the pump spins up. That’s much quieter on the aquanaut’s.

After some previous testing I decided to monitor loop and air temps along with components to make a bit more complete picture for everyone. It’s not calibrated high end gear, but I worked with what I had! Subtract intake temps from loop or cpu/gpu temps if you want deltas.

Apogee drive II, 51/63c GPU/cpu, intake 22c, exhaust 31.6c, loop 33.1c

Aquanaut, 50/74c, GPU/cpu, intake 22c, exhaust 31.6c, loop 32.8c

Aquanaut extreme 51/68c, GPU/cpu, intake 22c, exhaust 31.7c, loop 33c
I really want to get this block but two things hold me back.
1. These temps, and the fact that the Apogee drive II cools so much better
2. Black Friday deals

spdfrek

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
If you have room for the extra height, and a compatible mobo, the apogee is a solid unit. I had to trim a heatsink on my mobo to fit the apogee. But then again, I tried 3 different aio’s that I had on the shelf when I was installing it, and none of those fit either! Bit more hassle to get primed then the aquanauts or lobo. It is louder then the aquanaut and lobo blocks are, with the same pump. If you don’t have room for a res or spare ports the aquanaut x is a great option, as long as you can access the ports.

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
If you have room for the extra height, and a compatible mobo, the apogee is a solid unit. I had to trim a heatsink on my mobo to fit the apogee. But then again, I tried 3 different aio’s that I had on the shelf when I was installing it, and none of those fit either! Bit more hassle to get primed then the aquanauts or lobo. It is louder then the aquanaut and lobo blocks are, with the same pump. If you don’t have room for a res or spare ports the aquanaut x is a great option, as long as you can access the ports.
Not gonna take it for the fill ports, but for the cooling capabilities.

spdfrek

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
it is weird to me that the apogee performs so much better...
I agree. I didn’t expect it given the internal design. But it’s does pull flow from the very center of the block, which lines up nicely with an intel die under the ihs. That’s about the only theory I have.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
I agree. I didn’t expect it given the internal design. But it’s does pull flow from the very center of the block, which lines up nicely with an intel die under the ihs. That’s about the only theory I have.
Could you perhaps share the information that indicates these results? Or are they anecdotal?

spdfrek

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
Could you perhaps share the information that indicates these results? Or are they anecdotal?
The cold plate in the apogee drive II is a cross hatched pattern of pins, the pump inlet has an o-ring that sets against the pins in the center of the block, the rest is all open, no jet plate or the like. Reminds me of some old school cpu blocks I’ve seen from years ago.

On the other hand, if your asking about the actual thermal performance/results, that info is earlier in the thread. The lobo thread has the same info, along with the lobo temps added in.

Reactions: NRG

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
The cold plate in the apogee drive II is a cross hatched pattern of pins, the pump inlet has an o-ring that sets against the pins in the center of the block, the rest is all open, no jet plate or the like. Reminds me of some old school cpu blocks I’ve seen from years ago.

On the other hand, if your asking about the actual thermal performance/results, that info is earlier in the thread. The lobo thread has the same info, along with the lobo temps added in.
Forgive me for asking...lobo? What's that?

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
@Nouvolo any chance to get the STP files of the Extreme? I am modeling a new build and would love to be as accurate as possible.

Last edited:

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Black Friday Special Offer 🎁 has started with limited time discount (up to more than 20%) across all range of Nouvolo products, including:
  • Borg : USD139 USD109
  • Borg - top panel option : USD24 USD19
  • Aquanaut Combo : USD59 USD49
  • Aquanaut Extreme : USD119 USD99
  • PCIe X16 Gen 4 cable (3M) : USD69 USD49
  • PCIe X16 Gen 4 cable (black) : USD35 USD29
Start shopping for the festive season! 🎊

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
I am extremely disappointed by the creator refusing to share even a basic 3d model of the product.
It is not like a competitor that wants to copy this product will be stopped by the fact there is no STP files for it.

I feel it is a slap in the face when you sell a product specifically designed for people that every single millimeter is critical for them.
If companies like Lian Li sharing their STP files for all of their cases, there is absolutely no reason others won't do so.

Anyways, feel free to use the one I created, it is obviously not as accurate as the real thing, but it is close enough:
https://grabcad.com/library/aquanaut-extreme-1

I mean they’re not obligated to give you anything nor are you entitled to it? Certainly doesn’t warrant a borderline abusive post in the thread about the product. It’s great that you’re sharing a resource you’ve created but I think it’s really inappropriate to attempt to guilt the creator who obviously has their reasons for not sharing.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I am extremely disappointed by the creator refusing to share even a basic 3d model of the product.
It is not like a competitor that wants to copy this product will be stopped by the fact there is no STP files for it.

I feel it is a slap in the face when you sell a product specifically designed for people that every single millimeter is critical for them.
If companies like Lian Li sharing their STP files for all of their cases, there is absolutely no reason others won't do so.

Anyways, feel free to use the one I created, it is obviously not as accurate as the real thing, but it is close enough:
https://grabcad.com/library/aquanaut-extreme-1

Don't be a dick. It's fine you share your video, but your entitled behaviour is uncalled for. Consider this a warning regarding attitude.

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
I mean they’re not obligated to give you anything nor are you entitled to it? Certainly doesn’t warrant a borderline abusive post in the thread about the product. It’s great that you’re sharing a resource you’ve created but I think it’s really inappropriate to attempt to guilt the creator who obviously has their reasons for not sharing.
Don't be a dick. It's fine you share your video, but your entitled behaviour is uncalled for. Consider this a warning regarding attitude.

It was never my intention to actually insult anybody. I meant to criticize and share my work and that’s it.

I edited my original message. Feel free to edit my quote.

Sorry.

Reactions: confusis and Goatee

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
With regards to @LucyMorn needs, testing fitting of the build in 3d cad software, which I think is reasonable and fair, I have been thinking how I could share my work with the SFFF community while feeling comfortable about protecting my IP, and here's what I will do.

I will create a separate 3d model with detail external dimensions and with all the components parts merged into one single body object, removing all the internal features (i.e. water channels, screw mounts, etc). It is for the purpose of testing the fitting of specific builds with 3d cad software, which should be sufficient. It will take me a few days to create the model, and will post it here once it's ready. Thanks for your understanding. Update: model is done check post.

So this is resolved as far as I am concerned. As creator and owner, I don't need to and I won't explain myself as to whether I should share all the original source files.

Last edited:

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
With regards to @LucyMorn needs, testing fitting of the build in 3d cad software, which I think is reasonable and fair, I have been thinking how I could share my work with the SFFF community while feeling comfortable about protecting my IP, and here's what I will do.

I will create a separate 3d model with detail external dimensions and with all the components parts merged into one single body object, removing all the internal features (i.e. water channels, screw mounts, etc). It is for the purpose of testing the fitting of specific builds with 3d cad software, which should be sufficient. It will take me a few days to create the model, and will post it here once it's ready. Thanks for your understanding.

So this is resolved as far as I am concerned. As creator and owner, I don't need to and I won't explain myself as to whether I should share all the original source files.
Thank you! This is absolutely the right response here!
I am unironically sorry for my previous comment.
I will also remove my 3d model from grabcad so people won't accidentally use inaccurate models.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
The merging of objects is a surprisingly fast process, done in a few minutes 😁

Aquanaut Extreme simplified/merged 3D Model can be downloaded here:

As to potential copying of my product, I have no control and I don't lose sleep over it. We all borrow ideas from here and there and try to improve and innovate, by doing our own work. It is just plain stupid to reinvent the wheel every time, just trying to be "noble" in one's self-imposed "moral" standard. I didn't invent the SFF sandwich config SFF (Steck), and it won't surprise me if someone's trying to do me one better on this, but at least buy one from me 😭, out of courtesy or acknowledgment.

Last edited: