Production Aquanaut Basic/Extreme - Ultra Low Profile CPU Block & Pump Mount Combo

flar

Average Stuffer
Jan 19, 2020
I generally prefer post and separate spring and nut rather than the post/spring/screw-head all in one. It lets you get the posts all tightened into the backplate first and then the cooler plate slides onto them with no need to "line up the holes" while trying to get it locked down.

Vatzz

Chassis Packer
Sep 29, 2020
Received my aquanaut today!
Question is, do I use the included her plate? Has anyone done any tests yet?

Vatzz

Chassis Packer
Sep 29, 2020
So word of warning to everyone - DO NOT tighten the screws holding the block together too much. I thought I had screwed them up okay, looked fine after doing assembling it. But came back half hour later and the bottom corner of where one of the threads are has cracked off ?
I've ordered a second one now and I'll be a lot more careful next time!

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
So word of warning to everyone - DO NOT tighten the screws holding the block together too much. I thought I had screwed them up okay, looked fine after doing assembling it. But came back half hour later and the bottom corner of where one of the threads are has cracked off ?
I've ordered a second one now and I'll be a lot more careful next time!
did yours fully cracked, i.e. have pieces broken off / the cracks reaching the water channel? I over-tighten mine and it has small cracks around the threads but nowhere near needing to order a replacement, I think ?

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
Just recieved mine today aswell - didnt bother to assemble as I wait for new parts but I'm quite scared after the 2nd one breaking it ?

@Nouvolo maybe you could do some tests and give out a recommendation on max. torque force like ek does? (example - 0.5-0.7 Nm)

Reactions: sos

Gerold

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2020
www.instagram.com
Received mine as well today, had to pay 26,46€ customs (in Austria).
Need to wait for some more low profile fittings before I can install it in the FormD T1 :)
Will report asap :D

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Just recieved mine today aswell - didnt bother to assemble as I wait for new parts but I'm quite scared after the 2nd one breaking it ?

@Nouvolo maybe you could do some tests and give out a recommendation on max. torque force like ek does? (example - 0.5-0.7 Nm)
If you worry about Aquanaut, you should take a look at those huge distro plates, that have dozens of screws and can break at any point. Aquanaut "technically" is a water block + mini distro plate sandwiched in between. If one has experience with distro plate, Aquanaut is kindergarten stuff... ?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Got mine today too - tracking has been weird, it was supposed to arrive yesterday (though it was still in France late last night), then this morning tracking said estimated delivery tomorrow, and then suddenly the courier was at my door. I won't be able to build with it for a while yet (HTPC build takes precedence, and I might hold off until I upgrade my system), but here are some pics and first impressions:

Initial overall impressions are very good. Everything looks great, parts feel good in the hands, no QC misses standing out. The smooth finish of the screw caps/nuts is a bit worrying though - I might sand them a bit to improve the grip. O-rings are soft and flexible, feel like good quality.

Machining quality of the acrylic looks excellent, with a smooth finish, no visible tool marks.

There are some minor cosmetic issues though: some outer corners of the acrylic have a visible white stripe down them - I'm guessing this is half-melted acrylic residue that escaped the finishing tool pass (or was created by it). Seems to scrape off easily with a fingernail. There are also some minor scratches in the surface of the acrylic, likely due to it not being directly protected in shipping (both acrylic pieces ship somewhat loosely in the same bag with no protective film). This is obviously very nit-picky stuff, and nothing you'd notice unless you were looking for it.

Cold plate looks great, tool marks are barely visible, water channels are straight, no bent or nicked fins. Contact area has some minor machining marks, but the lack of distortion in the reflections tells of good flatness. The nickel plating also looks good.

Fin thickness is a bit uneven though - a handful of fins (#6 and 8 from the left, plus a couple more) are a bit thicker than the rest. Some of the channels on the right also seem to be cut a tiny bit deeper than the rest. Neither seems significant enough to affect performance whatsoever.

The nickel plating around the mounting holes is not quite perfect, with some visible marring. Seeing how this won't be in contact with water I don't mind it.

As mentioned by someone earlier in the thread, the jet plate has very different surface finishes on each side. I very much doubt it matters though (and I likely won't be using mine). It's also a much thicker piece of metal than I expected.

The mounting bracket also has some tiny scratches in it, but nothing going through to the metal. Note that the mounting bracket is a thick (my calipers say 2.4mm) steel plate. This is definitely not going anywhere.

Overall I'm very happy with this, really looking forward to putitng it to use. Quality seems excellent overall for a small-run product from a small company. And the design itself seems pretty near ideal in terms of size and functionality.

Crushader

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 17, 2020
Mine arrived yesterday and the pump arrived today so here's my build

I moved to aquanaut from DC-LT combo, definitely see the extra water pressure in DDC, though it is noisy but not as annoying high pitch as DC-LT at high speed. Any suggestion to reduce DDC noise, I'm running it at 25-30% somewhat audible especially with water sloshing sound, I made sure to bleed it thoroughly for air bubbles but still hear water sloshing, is this normal? I also tried laying the pump flat and notice the sloshing sound stop. I'm using ek 3.2 DDC pwm

Gerold

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2020
www.instagram.com
Looks really clean :)
Sounds like water sloshing usually means that the loop is not a bled well enough. Have you tried changing the pwm while bleeding?
How and how long did you run the loop before closing it up?
My 3.25 is most silent at around 40% pwm, maybe try to go a little higher?

Reactions: rfarmer

Crushader

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 17, 2020
Looks really clean :)
Sounds like water sloshing usually means that the loop is not a bled well enough. Have you tried changing the pwm while bleeding?
How and how long did you run the loop before closing it up?
My 3.25 is most silent at around 40% pwm, maybe try to go a little higher?

I ran the loop with case upside down, using the fill/drain port on that left fittings. I ran it at 100% the whole time, stop shake tilt until the bubbles come out and I topped up until the coolant level doesn't change anymore. Should I do that again but with speed change?

Gerold

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2020
www.instagram.com
I'd at least give it a try. Maybe try to "sweep" from off to something above 50% and turn it off again.
Do this a few times and try some other methods you can come up with :D
Then let it run for 12 hours or so on around 70%, I personally wouldn't go as high as 100% on the ddc with such a short loop.
After that I usually shake the build and do the sweeping again to see if there is still something left.
Then run again for around 12h on higher pwm and close it up.

But maybe others can also chime in on this matter :)
I think I've even read something about bubbles getting stuck in the impeller here in this thread.