Production Aquanaut Basic/Extreme - Ultra Low Profile CPU Block & Pump Mount Combo

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
I am leaning towards getting this product as it allows me to get a decent DDC pump.
What pumps are compatible?
If I understand correctly most pumps are just rebranded Laing pumps, but is there a list of pumps that will definitely fit?
Will the EK-Loop DDC 4.2 PWM Pump fit? I like it as it uses SATA...
Or even better, can you guys recommend on the best pump to get to use with this mount?

Thanks

Reactions: Talyrius

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I am leaning towards getting this product as it allows me to get a decent DDC pump.
What pumps are compatible?
If I understand correctly most pumps are just rebranded Laing pumps, but is there a list of pumps that will definitely fit?
Will the EK-Loop DDC 4.2 PWM Pump fit? I like it as it uses SATA...
Or even better, can you guys recommend on the best pump to get to use with this mount?

Thanks
I'm very happy with my Laing DDC 1T Plus DDC (AFAIK the same as the Laing DDC 3.2 PWM, though I might not remember that correctly). It comes with Molex power, which is a drawback, but I modified (repinned) mine to draw power from the fan outputs on my Aquacomputer Quadro controller. That delivers up to 25W per fan connector though, which is much more than most motherboard headers or fan hubs (typically 1A/12W, less for some hubs), so it's not a viable solution for most setups. Plus I already had the tools needed to do this mod, and the skills required. Sadly I'm not familiar with any other DDC pumps, but hopefully someone else can chime in :)

Reactions: LucyMorn

Torquednb

Cable Smoosher
Nov 16, 2020
I'm very happy with my Laing DDC 1T Plus DDC (AFAIK the same as the Laing DDC 3.2 PWM, though I might not remember that correctly). It comes with Molex power, which is a drawback, but I modified (repinned) mine to draw power from the fan outputs on my Aquacomputer Quadro controller. That delivers up to 25W per fan connector though, which is much more than most motherboard headers or fan hubs (typically 1A/12W, less for some hubs), so it's not a viable solution for most setups. Plus I already had the tools needed to do this mod, and the skills required. Sadly I'm not familiar with any other DDC pumps, but hopefully someone else can chime in :)
Just a heads up, I used the Quadro the same way but apparently Aquacomputer advices against this setup, the output drive of the Quadro doesn't like the startup peaks the DDC pumps pull (2A+) and can kill the Fan output. Still 3 left :p

NiiRoZz

Efficiency Noob
Oct 15, 2021
Hey,

Has anyone already tried to fit the MCP35X pump onto the aquanaut extreme?

I have the MCP35X, but I'm worried about the length of the screws for mounting the pump.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Just a heads up, I used the Quadro the same way but apparently Aquacomputer advices against this setup, the output drive of the Quadro doesn't like the startup peaks the DDC pumps pull (2A+) and can kill the Fan output. Still 3 left :p
Hm, that sounds a bit worrying, but I'm not changing it until I have to (if that happens). My pump only ramps to very low speeds at first, so that might be alleviating those spikes somewhat (or at least making them not last as long). We'll see I guess :p

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Can someone post some pictures with regular DDC pumps? Thanks

Refer to community gallery for more:

spdfrek

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
I ran the mcp35x on both the aquanaut and aquanaut extreme, just have to source the proper size and length of screws. For what itā€™s worth, I also have an alphacool ddc310, and the extreme screws were to long for it as well. I just picked up what I needed at the local hardware store.

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I ran the mcp35x on both the aquanaut and aquanaut extreme, just have to source the proper size and length of screws. For what itā€™s worth, I also have an alphacool ddc310, and the extreme screws were to long for it as well. I just picked up what I needed at the local hardware store.
I did the same with my Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM on the OG Aquanaut, as that comes with self-tapping screws for the stock top. A $3-ish bag of screws fixed that.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
I donā€™t suppose anyone has a 12th gen intel CPU with the Extreme installed? Kind of wondering if I use my Extreme with a third 92mm Rad for my Ncase M1 or if I keep with my Optimus CPU block and Iceman Pump/Res combo.

Would be very interested to see some temperatures and I will do a side by side comparison I think, once I finally get my hands on some DDR5 ram šŸ„“

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I donā€™t suppose anyone has a 12th gen intel CPU with the Extreme installed? Kind of wondering if I use my Extreme with a third 92mm Rad for my Ncase M1 or if I keep with my Optimus CPU block and Iceman Pump/Res combo.

Would be very interested to see some temperatures and I will do a side by side comparison I think, once I finally get my hands on some DDR5 ram šŸ„“
I doubt a 92mm rad will be enough for 12th cpu (assuming i9).

Rule of thumb wattage dissipation vs rad size
Assuming: fans at ~1800rpm / open work bench (i.e. no restriction)
  • <350W = 240mm rad
  • <180W = 120mm rad
  • <140W = 92mm rad (estimated by projection)
Guess for SFF builds smaller rads is a compromise, but don't expect temps like those in tower cases, due to ventilation restrictions and rad size. e.g. maxed out CPU (>200W) + GPU (>300W) = 500W (ideally 360mm or 280mm rad)

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
I doubt a 92mm rad will be enough for 12th cpu (assuming i9).

Rule of thumb wattage dissipation vs rad size
Assuming: fans at ~1800rpm / open work bench (i.e. no restriction)
  • <350W = 240mm rad
  • <180W = 120mm rad
  • <140W = 92mm rad (estimated by projection)
Guess for SFF builds smaller rads is a compromise, but don't expect temps like those in tower cases, due to ventilation restrictions and rad size. e.g. maxed out CPU (>200W) + GPU (>300W) = 500W (ideally 360mm or 280mm rad)

Add a 92mm Rad to my dual 240 rad build :')

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Mind linking for the exact screws? Thanks
Unfortunately I can't find the left-over screws, but I'm reasonably sure these were the ones I bought, in M4x25mm. Of course, unless you are in the Nordics, that likely doesn't help much. I would really advise you to measure your stock screws though, as I can't guarantee that this is correct. M4 threading is correct as per the Aquanaut FAQ, but the exact length you need depends on your pump and any heatsinks added to it. If you're in the US, everyone seems to get their screws from McMaster-Carr.

Reactions: LucyMorn and eedev

RTP80

Caliper Novice
Jun 10, 2020
I have a lot of work left on my build, but it has fluid in it:

Do not think that the "fill port" is any good at filling without a reservoir. Bleeding air was a nightmare. It's best practice to put your reservoir inline with your inlet. If I were to rebuild/rebend tube for this build, I'd have a T-junction to the fillport with some (any) kind of spot to catch air built in.

That said, it's a very good solution for this loop still. Impressive performance.

I am going through this now as well. I am trying to use the fill port and it is not working for me. I was really hoping it would help filling the loop and was one of the main reasons I got the Extreme, but not having any success. Anyone able to get their loop filled using the fill port?

Due to my loop I can't fir a res right before the pump. In the past I have used a second pump to fill the loop and bleed it, but was hoping to not have to do that.

Wondering if there is a recommended setup with the extreme to be able to fill the loop. I do have a res inline, but there is a rad between it, so getting the pump primed is always a challenge.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I am going through this now as well. I am trying to use the fill port and it is not working for me. I was really hoping it would help filling the loop and was one of the main reasons I got the Extreme, but not having any success. Anyone able to get their loop filled using the fill port?

Due to my loop I can't fir a res right before the pump. In the past I have used a second pump to fill the loop and bleed it, but was hoping to not have to do that.

Wondering if there is a recommended setup with the extreme to be able to fill the loop. I do have a res inline, but there is a rad between it, so getting the pump primed is always a challenge.
Can you just add a length of tubing (possibly with a ball valve cut-off) to act as a temporary reservoir?