Production Aquanaut Basic/Extreme - Ultra Low Profile CPU Block & Pump Mount Combo

evadne

Trash Compacter
Jan 15, 2020
For the cold plate, you just need to wipe it clean off some of the grease. And yes, the cold plate can be finger print magnets... sorry 'bout that šŸ˜¢

Marks inside the screw holes in the photos should not affect performance of the water block...

Edit: I also pointed out in my reply that the photos are zoomed in about 40-50x (4mm screw hole to 20cm), which may amplify things. Thanks for your post here, I will try to include here all the points that was in my email reply to you.

Hi, it is actually still very bad optics, as I can not trust this product as-is now & will not be able to use it in any upcoming build, due to this quality concern (given the risk of the entire top cracking, especially with the pump mounted to it).

I could see the defect with my naked eye but the photo was a close up to illustrate the point. The idea was that you could then ensure it does not happen again / follow up with the factory / do whatever that is needed to maintain build quality. It is of course, amplified, because that is how the problem can be seen clearly.

If I were to be a nitpicking prick I would not have spent the money to buy this product.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Based on the keep-in-zone for alder lake drawing I got approx. 70x60mm [x,y] as the maximum available for the cold plate. The center of the CPU being (0,0) [x,y]. I take the smallest in both directions from center in x's [left/right] & y's [above/below] to determine the symmetrically feasible dimensions, as below. Let me know if I have mistaken anything, the diagram is quite complicatedšŸ§. But just by looking at the shape below is already giving me headaches...

View attachment 1131

As for AMD's new socket ("AM5"), rumor has it that it will be the same dimension as AM4 (40x40mm), but in LGA. And yes, it's risky to develop anything based on rumors... But the bottom line is that if (Intel/AMD) one is rectangular (confirmed) and the other is square in shape, there will be no way out but 2 different cold plates (assuming 60mm is one of the dimension limit) for full fin coverage.

Yeah, I think you're right. Guess that's what happens when I try to do math in my head while looking at technical diagrams on my phone and not writing anything down in between :p

One question: what is the likelihood that LGA1700 will actually need full IHS coverage from microfins? Larger dice than LGA1200 are very unlikely due to costs, and the larger package is only for more I/O. The die is likely to stay centered as long as it's still monolithic.

I would guess you could get AM4 mechanical specifications through contacting AMD and saying you're designing a cooler - that stuff isn't exactly proprietary information. Or @dondan might have access to this given his work on the Black Ridge?

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Yeah, I think you're right. Guess that's what happens when I try to do math in my head while looking at technical diagrams on my phone and not writing anything down in between :p

One question: what is the likelihood that LGA1700 will actually need full IHS coverage from microfins? Larger dice than LGA1200 are very unlikely due to costs, and the larger package is only for more I/O. The die is likely to stay centered as long as it's still monolithic.

I would guess you could get AM4 mechanical specifications through contacting AMD and saying you're designing a cooler - that stuff isn't exactly proprietary information. Or @dondan might have access to this given his work on the Black Ridge?
As for the caps near the CPU socket (for LGA115X and LGA1700) that currently limits the cold plate size to 58mm (in one dimension). I think I have a way to solve that, but need to go back to the drawing board and redo some models... and will definitely wait for more concrete information, before diving into it.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Another diagram from LGA 1700 shows max IHS area is 41x33mm, i.e. it is going to be a single die. This means that original square design should still give full fin coverage (40x40 @~98%) šŸ˜­. i.e. no need for rectangular cold plate, though that will certainly provide even better coverage. Only outstanding issue is to try make the cold plate compatible with LGA115x/1200/1700 + AM4/AM5, and it will be much easier task if AM5 remains similar size and shape.

Intel-LGA-1700-LGA-1800-Desktop - Copy.jpg

Looks like AM5/LGA1718 will be similar to current Ryzen's.šŸ‘
small_amd_raphael_intel_alder_la.jpg

Last edited:

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
BTW, found this:
Whilst many are asking for fill ports in Aquanaut. Maybe you can use this 3 way + 90 deg adapter?

7ec4a4f14f5c9d2c9fcd4d93dfbe4ff3.jpg barrow-3way.jpg
Edit : oh, maybe not... seems this is just like the Koolance low profile adapter... thought one can use the top facing port šŸ˜‚

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
and actually installed height is 25mm which is 5.5mm taller than Koolance elbows. So all in all Koolance elbow is still the go-to (which I have 10 stashed away hahaha)
I'm always annoyed that I can't find those available anywhere in the EU, and ordering them from the US is just too expensive. Seeing these Barrowch ones I was hoping they were an alternative, but at 5mm taller? Nope.
Maybe I will make a 3 way port with similar elbow mechanism? I think it is possible šŸ˜‰
It's no doubt possible, but machining that central post (which is necessary for it to rotate after all) without a solid top cap? That sounds pretty complicated. And difficult to tighten. Of course something like this with threads on two sides rather than just one ought to work perfectly, and be reasonably easy to make.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I'm always annoyed that I can't find those available anywhere in the EU, and ordering them from the US is just too expensive.
Same here in Asia. In the end I bit the bullet by ordering 10 (minor bulk discount) and a temp + flow sensor combo directly from Koolance to justify the shipping. If you can gather a groupbuy of sort for EU people and get qty up, the bulk discount is quite significant.

Reactions: Valantar

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
and actually installed height is 25mm which is 5.5mm taller than Koolance elbows. So all in all Koolance elbow is still the go-to (which I have 10 stashed away hahaha)

The Koolance 20mm installed height is sometimes a hinderance, especially if you want to run a fitting directly into the Koolance fitting. It's just slightly too low to properly accommodate a compression fitting, so I think this Barrow copy can still have its uses.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
The Koolance 20mm installed height is sometimes a hinderance, especially if you want to run a fitting directly into the Koolance fitting. It's just slightly too low to properly accommodate a compression fitting, so I think this Barrow copy can still have its uses.
I see, that's certainly an issue due to its low height. Also that's why it's hard for me to fit 1 extra port in Aquanaut, next to the existing 2. I need to leave enough space for the wider compression fittings, and with enough room for fingers to grip and turn them...

evadne

Trash Compacter
Jan 15, 2020
Last edited:

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
[2021-07-12] 3 (fill) port initial design
  • more space around ports to better support bigger adapters e.g. EK-Torque
  • prototyping needed
  • Increase in length and width may cause issues with mounting brackets. Max height still within total height with DDC
  • non-symmetrical in the length direction, need further fitting test to motherboards, very very tight...šŸ¤ž

Aquanaut - 3 ports.png Aquanaut - 3 ports top.png

Last edited:

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
[2021-07-12] 3 (fill) port initial design
  • more space around ports to better support bigger adapters e.g. EK-Torque
  • prototyping needed
  • Increase in length and width may cause issues with mounting brackets. Max height still within total height with DDC
  • non-symmetrical in the length direction, need further fitting test to motherboards, very very tight...šŸ¤ž

View attachment 1150 View attachment 1152

It's a bit difficult to tell from the top-down render, is the new design still using the reversed flow path (DDC pump inlet pulling water from the coldplate finstack) or is it forward now? (i.e. the pump outlet running into the finstack).

I think a big performance improvement could be gained by changing the design to forward flow path, but I understand it's gonna be quite tricky to implement given the space/volume constrants.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
It's a bit difficult to tell from the top-down render, is the new design still using the reversed flow path (DDC pump inlet pulling water from the coldplate finstack) or is it forward now? (i.e. the pump outlet running into the finstack).

I think a big performance improvement could be gained by changing the design to forward flow path, but I understand it's gonna be quite tricky to implement given the space/volume constrants.
New design will be forward flow AND full fin coverage, but need to use a new version of cold plate. The new cold plate will be specially made for the new version, whereas the current version uses one that is already manufactured by the factory for other products, and hence already with volume and the lower price point. Will really need community support in order to get the new version to market due to MOQ and all custom made parts.

But no guarantees for other features though. Especially for the fill port, the extra length seems to be a problem (dimension out of intel spec...). But I will give it a try...

Update: Your suggestions welcome, problem I am facing is :
ports => [out] / [fill port] / [in]
width => 25mm / 20mm / 25mm => total = 70mm (in practice even more to allow buffer)
Intel 115X/1200 mounting screws dimensions 75x75mm, i.e. 2.5mm spare on each side, not enough for mounting screw head (usually around 8-10mm) šŸ¤Ø

Last edited:

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
New design will be forward flow AND full fin coverage, but need to use a new version of cold plate. The new cold plate will be specially made for the new version, whereas the current version uses one that is already manufactured by the factory for other products, and hence already with volume and the lower price point. Will really need community support in order to get the new version to market due to MOQ and all custom made parts.

But no guarantees for other features though. Especially for the fill port, the extra length seems to be a problem (dimension out of intel spec...). But I will give it a try...

Update: Your suggestions welcome, problem I am facing is :
ports => [out] / [fill port] / [in]
width => 25mm / 20mm / 25mm => total = 70mm (in practice even more to allow buffer)
Intel 115X/1200 mounting screws dimensions 75x75mm, i.e. 2.5mm spare on each side, not enough for mounting screw head (usually around 8-10mm) šŸ¤Ø

Some coolers on the market get around this issue by having fixed nuts on the CPU side, and fasteners are screwed into the cooler from the back of the motherboard. Could be one way around it. Obviously this means you need access to the back of the board if you want to remove/remount, but that's probably not much of an issue anyway, if you're getting to the point where you're dismounting a waterblock, I'd assume at least some level of PC disassembly has already taken place

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
[2021-07-13] Alternative Design Aquanaut (with fill port)

This iteration has 2 fill ports on either sides (in & out). Fill port should always face up to avoid spilling (rotate the rig when filling). This config is quite symmetrical and should better fit the motherboards.

Let me know what you think.

1.png 2.png
3.png 6.png

Last edited: