Production Aquanaut Basic/Extreme - Ultra Low Profile CPU Block & Pump Mount Combo

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Here's hoping the global shipping situ doesn't delay the base model I just bought - want to change up my FT03 build :D

Reactions: Nouvolo

JDuval

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 8, 2020
Can you run Heaven loop with the new aquanaut? Port Royale is basically idle CPU loads where Heaven uses more CPU, so that accounts for a large part of the 20c decrease.
Just finished running this:
CPU: 69.5C
GPU: 60.9C
Water: 48.6C
Fans: 1305 RPM

So fair play, I must have mis remembered the CPU power usage on the Port Royal run and I should have compared directly to Heaven from the start.
Still a big improvement but not quite what I represented in my first post - sorry about that.

Out of curiosity, I ramped all my fans up to 1575RPM (speed from the OG Aquanaut run) as an attempt to be more of a 1:1 comparison and ended up with:
CPU: 64.9C
GPU: 56.9C
Water: 44.4C
Fans: 1575 RPM

Could still be some differences in ambient temp and small build differences but hopefully useful info nonetheless.

Reactions: DrHudacris

AlmightyBeing

Caliper Novice
Jul 22, 2021
Just finished running this:
CPU: 69.5C
GPU: 60.9C
Water: 48.6C
Fans: 1305 RPM

So fair play, I must have mis remembered the CPU power usage on the Port Royal run and I should have compared directly to Heaven from the start.
Still a big improvement but not quite what I represented in my first post - sorry about that.

Out of curiosity, I ramped all my fans up to 1575RPM (speed from the OG Aquanaut run) as an attempt to be more of a 1:1 comparison and ended up with:
CPU: 64.9C
GPU: 56.9C
Water: 44.4C
Fans: 1575 RPM

Could still be some differences in ambient temp and small build differences but hopefully useful info nonetheless.
Why did you originally test with a different test to what you did with the first configuration? Even if they tested the CPU and gpu the same, there's plenty of other differences that could give significantly different numbers. Did you just not have it installed or something?

JDuval

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 8, 2020
Why did you originally test with a different test to what you did with the first configuration? Even if they tested the CPU and gpu the same, there's plenty of other differences that could give significantly different numbers. Did you just not have it installed or something?

My scientific training failed me - lol. Sorry man, I don't know, I just didn't think about it that hard.

Reactions: rfarmer

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
I installed the Nouvolo extreme today and here's my comparison to the original with same pump and fan speeds using prime95 at various wattages on a Ryzen 9 5950X.
For reference, room temp 24C, case is meshlicious with 280mm rad and GPU (idle throughout at 30W) is a 2080ti. Fan speed set to 80% and pump constant throughout around 2300rpm.

Nouvolo Original
CPU 142W 71C
CPU 200W 88C
CPU 206W 90C

Nouvolo Extreme
CPU 142W 63C -8C
CPU 200W 81C -7C
CPU 225W 90C +19W

142W is (was perhaps) my performace / power sweetspot and I ramped it up until it throttled at 90C. The result is approx 7-8 degrees cooler on average and the CPU can take an extra 19W at the top end before it thermal throttled.

The installation was very straight forward. The video instructions really helped with the gaskets. I did a leak test before I installed it in my Meshlicious. Luckily didn't have to drain it at all. Just hooked up a small external res using quick disconnects until it was refilled, then removed it before final testing.

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
Mine arrived but my PC has a LOT of work left ahead of it. First impressions:

1. Well packaged! Good design work on the inside, but a plain box on the outside.
  2. The acrylic is well milled, but arrived sticky. Washing left a clean but a little cloudy acrylic behind. It's not the kind of super-smooth acrylic you can get from other brands, but it doesn't matter since almost all of it will be under the pump.
  3. That O-ring situation is horrible. Took literally 45 minutes to get it together even following the video. I also have no confidence that the pump-to-block O-ring is in a good shape. Hope it is.
  4. With the tallest DDC pump I own, it still (barely) fits inside the Lian Li Q58!
  5. Weight with the AMD plate and the pump (but not the power cables on the pump) and no liquid and no stop-plugs is 572 grams. An NH-D15, by comparison, weights 1150 grams with the fans attached so it should be fine.
  6. It's not clear in the instructions that the backplate included with AMD motherboards will be the one used, but anyone with experience building should recognize it right away.
  7. The side ports should also have markings indicating which is inlet/outlet.
There are a lot of criticisms in the above, but I am still super excited to get this thing running my loop. I'll post more when I have more progress.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I installed the Nouvolo extreme today and here's my comparison to the original with same pump and fan speeds using prime95 at various wattages on a Ryzen 9 5950X.
For reference, room temp 24C, case is meshlicious with 280mm rad and GPU (idle throughout at 30W) is a 2080ti. Fan speed set to 80% and pump constant throughout around 2300rpm.

Nouvolo Original
CPU 142W 71C
CPU 200W 88C
CPU 206W 90C

Nouvolo Extreme
CPU 142W 63C -8C
CPU 200W 81C -7C
CPU 225W 90C +19W

142W is (was perhaps) my performace / power sweetspot and I ramped it up until it throttled at 90C. The result is approx 7-8 degrees cooler on average and the CPU can take an extra 19W at the top end before it thermal throttled.

The installation was very straight forward. The video instructions really helped with the gaskets. I did a leak test before I installed it in my Meshlicious. Luckily didn't have to drain it at all. Just hooked up a small external res using quick disconnects until it was refilled, then removed it before final testing.
Nice, thanks for the effort in testing. Lets have some photos 🖼️

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Nice, thanks for the effort in testing. Lets have some photos 🖼️
so...i've managed to get off to a bad start and cracked the acrylic....is there any scope to buy replacement parts? (and if so, I may consider POM in this case).... It isn't so bad that it doesnt seal, but I better buy a replacement if i can.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
so...i've managed to get off to a bad start and cracked the acrylic....is there any scope to buy replacement parts? (and if so, I may consider POM in this case).... It isn't so bad that it doesnt seal, but I better buy a replacement if i can.
Please contact us directly via our website/email for order specific issues.

Order issues will not be handled here. This thread is for builds and ideas sharing only.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Please check faq for installation tips. Your problem is probably due to uneven pressure on the screws, you should go around tightening each screw gradually, until you have all 4 tighten together. Do not force screw in further when the blocks touch near the screw area. I cannot stress this enough, patience & go slow! 😓

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Does anyone know the specific height of Aquanaut OG/Extreme with different pumps installed?
I assume unlikely given the limited number of these that have gone out so far, but might be able to calculate it based on dimensions?

Aquanaut OG + EK DDC 4.2 PWM = xx mm
Aquanaut Ext + EK DDC 4.2 PWM = yy mm
Aquanaut OG + 18W BarrowCH DDC-clone

etc.

Reactions: Talyrius and JDuval

JDuval

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 8, 2020
I'll measure with my EK 3.2 DDC once I get my beta test block and try it out if no one has done so before then.

Will probably be a week or two.

Reactions: SFFMunkee

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I'll measure with my EK 3.2 DDC once I get my beta test block and try it out if no one has done so before then.

Will probably be a week or two.
No rush, I'm currently trialling an EisbaerLT but think the DDC with an Aquanaut would improve performance somewhat (and make bleeding a LOT easier!) Just a matter of whether I can fit it under the radiator in my current layout.

Reactions: JDuval

JDuval

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 8, 2020
No rush, I'm currently trialling an EisbaerLT but think the DDC with an Aquanaut would improve performance somewhat (and make bleeding a LOT easier!) Just a matter of whether I can fit it under the radiator in my current layout.
Gotcha, makes sense! DDC is indeed way more powerful and easier to work with than the DC-LT pumps when it comes to bleeding.

Fwiw I don't think the extreme is any taller than the og (could be wrong) and the OG with my EK 3.2 DDC and EK heatsink/housing just fit in the T1's 3 slot mode which means it should be about 50mm total assembled.

Anyway I'll definitely grab my own measurements when swapping blocks to be sure 👍

Reactions: sos and SFFMunkee

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Gotcha, makes sense! DDC is indeed way more powerful and easier to work with than the DC-LT pumps when it comes to bleeding.

Fwiw I don't think the extreme is any taller than the og (could be wrong) and the OG with my EK 3.2 DDC and EK heatsink/housing just fit in the T1's 3 slot mode which means it should be about 50mm total assembled.

Anyway I'll definitely grab my own measurements when swapping blocks to be sure 👍
Extreme and OG = blocks same height, cold plate thicker by about 0.5mm

Overall extreme maybe taller by 0.5mm

Reactions: JDuval and sos