Power Supply Apple AIO power supplies: AC-DC use ?

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
MOD EDIT: split from other topic.

SOOOO close to grabbing one of these, just to support the cause!
But I do have some fun stuff to share.

220W and 300W power supplies from Apple AIO computers - I don't think I've ever seen anybody else use these, they make FANTASTIC internal bricks for special projects. They can be had for pretty cheaply on Ebay, and scrounged personally even cheaper. I'm not selling or making these in bulk, just wanted to share all the SFF goodness power bricks and ATX/DC has to offer.

The 220W small fry has done very well powering a mobile i7 and a desktop 1070 in a lovely portable project I took to a few LAN parties, but it DOES get warm under load! I have a fan socket tapped into it.

The 300W jobber was a pain to get thick enough cables, but I have yet to load test it - It may be more than 300W capable. It's goin in a small watercooled semi-cube I'm designing. It's got a lovely multi-socket, designed to connect to 2x2 for ATX power and 2x4 for high-power PCIe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah I've looked at these in the past and wondered how they would adapt to our SFF needs. Will be super keen to see if you can do something with the 300W.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Yeah, I got sick to death of external bricks for my smallest stuff, and went internal. I ended up modding the 220W brick to semi-external use (basically strapped to the outside of a case), and I'm stuck with my Dell 330W brick for my largest unit (no alternative yet). I don't much care for ATX/SFX power bricks when I can usually get away with a smaller computer and an external brick, which make for an easier time managing weight and packing space.

Reactions: ricochet

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Thanks for the tip @thewizzard1 ! Since we are in the Vendor Marketplace sub-forum, a friendly reminder that we should not veer the topic too much into other products. Three posts isn't an issue ofcourse but if this goes on, we're going to split the discussion off to it's own thread, because we can often get quite deep into a conversation about this kind of hardware :D

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Topic split, let's continue this discussion deeper, because Apple must have some interesting power supplies considering all they do is custom fabrication and heavy on the efficiency side.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Heh, funnily enough I have a HP-N1700XC that I ordered several years ago to fix an iMac, but it turned out to be a logic board and I've been sitting on it since. I was looking for a box to ship something a few days ago and came across it again.

Any tips on wiring these things up?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That PSU:

Not sure why it mentiones 12Vs0 @ 15A (= 180W) and 12Vs5 @ 5A (=60W) since it's max 180W. While ATX PSUs also generally have an output power limit lower than their combined rails can output, 33% more power than "allowed" is a lot.

Looking at that shot of the PSU inside the casing, it looks like some of the wires are thinner. Here's a shot from iFixit:

Look at the 4th and 5th pin starting from the left. I'm also seeing two wires coming out of the 1st and 2nd pin. But in the end it's a 12V output so I'm guessing the 5 pins starting from the right are 12V and the 3 pins starting on the left are ground, with the thin wires being for the 60W "rail".

I would expect the thinner wires to be for the storage devices. That very tiny cable on the edge is a temperature sensor connector, BTW.

Oh and be sure to get a proper casing for this. I don't want you dying because of shock, delaying the Cerberus :p

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Oh and be sure to get a proper casing for this. I don't want you dying because of shock, delaying the Cerberus :p

Haha, I actually have it sitting on the desk in front of my keyboard right now as I type.

But I'm pretty sure it's discharged since it's been sitting for at least 4 years so what could go wr1ÀÞ3{0‘h¤d3Ї¡+á õ%»¡½îo¬¤Cn"ú-ëË@[1]Úiw€6¾ð€o±hº´(.;Ñ:}áÀ6Ñžå8‹ |a ÀÊ\i¼À\Ae

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
Haha, I actually have it sitting on the desk in front of my keyboard right now as I type.

But I'm pretty sure it's discharged since it's been sitting for at least 4 years so what could go wr1ÀÞ3{0‘h¤d3Ї¡+á õ%»¡½îo¬¤Cn"ú-ëË@[1]Úiw€6¾ð€o±hº´(.;Ñ:}áÀ6Ñžå8‹ |a ÀÊ\i¼À\Ae
Looks like @Aibohphobia is going to meet Cerberus. :p

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Anybody looking for part numbers - Might have misquoted my own work. No wonder it got so hot at 220w!!
Apparently it's only rated 180W.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-614-0...837951?hash=item1eaddb207f:g:Ex8AAOSwT~9Wl~Q1

Seems long-term happy with a proper heatsink and some airflow - They ran rather hot in their tiny little Imac nooks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iMac-...098569?hash=item5d6d52c189:g:-UkAAOSwA3dYiqN-

This is the 300W model, and is NOT split-rail or ATX controlled. In actuality, it has 2 leads - 12V and GND.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
@Aibophobia - Those split-rail PSUs are kinda garbage, and a pain. The two supplies I built from are totally passive (like normal bricks)- You plug them in, and draw power from them. No PS_ON or PWR_GOOD or any of that garbage. No ATX control, either, but who cares?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
MOD EDIT: split from other topic.

SOOOO close to grabbing one of these, just to support the cause!
But I do have some fun stuff to share.

220W and 300W power supplies from Apple AIO computers - I don't think I've ever seen anybody else use these, they make FANTASTIC internal bricks for special projects. They can be had for pretty cheaply on Ebay, and scrounged personally even cheaper. I'm not selling or making these in bulk, just wanted to share all the SFF goodness power bricks and ATX/DC has to offer.

The 220W small fry has done very well powering a mobile i7 and a desktop 1070 in a lovely portable project I took to a few LAN parties, but it DOES get warm under load! I have a fan socket tapped into it.

The 300W jobber was a pain to get thick enough cables, but I have yet to load test it - It may be more than 300W capable. It's goin in a small watercooled semi-cube I'm designing. It's got a lovely multi-socket, designed to connect to 2x2 for ATX power and 2x4 for high-power PCIe.

Yeah but you can't use Apple hardware otherwise you won't be able to game. Everyone knows this. ;)

Reactions: Ceros_X

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
@Josh - Love your case, man. I think I chatted with you via Facebook after seeing your case at PAX and attempting to locate your company.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Could you share more detailed information on these sources of food?
Pinout connectors, external dimensions, the inclusion (launch) ...
Sure, Apple (Delta) P/N ADP-300AF
161mmx132mm by about 31mm height.
AC in is labelled, 12V output is from the back, 2x2, with the 2 on the resistor side being 12V, and the other 2 facing the small monitor connector (which isn't needed) being GND.

Power supply is tested at 325W continuous, not sure I'd go much higher :)