Motherboard Anyone seen this? Udoo Bolt, a maker motherboard with Ryzen SoC

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I just found this link posted on /r/sffPC and think it might be of interest here.

It comes with a Ryzen embedded V1000 series processor (up to V1605B w/Vega 8), dual ECC DDR4 support, three m.2 slots, and I think most interesting of all is the integrated Arduino platform. The board size is pretty small at 4.7" square too, actually a tad smaller than mini STX!

This is still a Kickstarter project in development and they met their goal. Hopefully they can deliver on schedule.

Last edited:

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Ok this is awesome .o.
like wow

wish I had the money to back this but dang, this will be very inter sting to see latter on. its way better than most notebooks.I wasn't expecting that with the ryzen embed processors but it makes a ton of sense

Reactions: Biowarejak

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Hm... If it can grab a raw composite input rather than just attaching a capture card and getting an iffy-quality frame a few hundred ms later (not sure if the 'Arduino compatible' analog ins are fast enough for that) I might be able to use this instead of a uber-beefy FPGA. It wouldn't hit the near-line-speed that an FPGA implementation could, but ideally delay would not be beyond 1 frame / ~16.6ms (could be less if you can 'race the beam' on Vega) and I'd be able to put off learning Verilog or VHDL yet further...

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Holy cow. It is already over 200% funded only a day or two in and the viral buzz keeps growing by the hour. This will be an excellent entry in the market and for AMD should give the Intel NUC a real run for the money. What makes this so crazy good is this is basically an Intel NUC, Mac Mini, Xbox One, Raspberry Pi and Arduino all wrapped into one slick, versatile package. With any luck, other manufacturers are likely taking notice and will follow suit with their own AMD NUC clones.

As an aside, I know this is just anecdotal, but if this is reflective of AMD’s market penetration, they are in very good shape. Zen 3/Ryzen 2000 series should be a slam dunk if things continue on schedule as they have been.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Still not over until July 31, too! That gives us lots of time to decide or save up to be a backer for one of these units. I would just like to get the Bolt V8 board by itself. How much power consumption can we expect from this little board? 50W in total would be a good guess of mine.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Still not over until July 31, too! That gives us lots of time to decide or save up to be a backer for one of these units. I would just like to get the Bolt V8 board by itself. How much power consumption can we expect from this little board? 50W in total would be a good guess of mine.
Per their reply in the project comments, they are still deciding on what TDP to set the CPU at. For what it is worth, the range they have to play with is 12-25W. If you keep accessories down to a minimum, I am guessing an average total system power draw around 15-25W with heavy loads around 30-40W at most. Of course, if you add in mechanical hard drives or a vast array of attached peripherals, that will add to the total system power draw.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Well damn. Just when I was going to get a Nintendo Switch. This would make for an excellent replacement to my ThinkPad X201 for productivity, content creation, and gaming.

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
isn't there a m2/nvme to pice x16 slot adapter I vaguely remember that being something used in the stx psu case that was made many moons ago. Could use one of those to slap in a slightly beefier gpu.