Anybody use Windows To Go USB?

furkanz

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 29, 2020
I heard it is possible to run Windows 10 from USB drive directly with the help of Windows To Go feature. How can I create a portable Windows 10 USB on a Windows 7 machine? I can't find the option for that.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Mind you that the real speed, not the advertised max theoretical speed often advertised, will be key for performance of Windows on a USB stick.

If you want to seriously use this ability, you want to look for suitable USB sticks. Preferably you want to USB sticks that use SSD quality flash instead of the crap that generally is found on USB sticks. Generally these are 128GB or more sticks with 200MB/s read and 100MB/s write speeds like the Sandisk Extreme Pro, Corsair Flash Voyager GTX, Transcend JetFlash 780/920.

Reactions: Vlad502

furkanz

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 29, 2020
@Vlad502 as far as i know, rufus is a bootable usb creator. besides, when I import Windows 10 ISO, there is no windows to go option. i am using the latest 3.1.2

@Phuncz how about USB 3.1 drive? SSD seems much expensive. thanks

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
There is an option (default is standard installation):

disable Secure Boot when system is UEFI

I have tried with 16GB microSD card (class 10 with speed R70 W10 on usb 3.0 reader) and Windows Lite+ works OK. You need good IOPS performance, that is the reason for SSD. You can benchmark with Atto Disk Benchmark
There are also M.2 USB enclosures and imo that will work too

Last edited:
Reactions: furkanz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
@Phuncz how about USB 3.1 drive? SSD seems much expensive. thanks
USB 3.0 = USB 3.1 = USB 3.2 (link)
It's also just a theoretical max transfer speed, not the much more important statistic, the random single thread, single queue 4K speed.

I tested my two faster sticks:

Compare this to a portable SSD:

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1612...ble-ssd-v2-and-wd-my-passport-ssd-2020-review

The third and forth rows of these graphs are the more relevant benchmarks for Windows, app and game launch performance. You are going to notice those and these aren't even cheap and slow USB sticks.

Cartiertears

Case Bender
New User
Nov 3, 2020
Different people have different methods to create portable Windows 10 usb. In fact, Rufus and Command Prompt can work, but some people always fail.

Cartiertears

Case Bender
New User
Nov 3, 2020
Remember that not all USBs can be made a portable Windows 10 USB
To avoid unnecessary troubles,the USB drive with USB 3.0/3.1 port (64GB) is the best choice.
This is what I learned from this tutorial, there is more to know before you start doing it.
More about Windows To Go from here.