Any audiophiles on this board? Advice needed..

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Hey guys

So I'm seeking some advice from anyone who knows a thing or two about quality sound and headphones.

I work for Adidas and as such I have the ability to buy the Monster X Adidas collab headphones linked below for about $100

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KVP5KY0/?tag=theminutiae-20

The reason I am seeking advice is because I'd like to know whether these are worth the buy? How reputable is Monster? Do you think $100 is good for a product like this or should I save up for something else like Audio Technica or something?

Please let me know your guys thoughts!

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Monster cables does some nice cables, but I really don't like the Monster collab cans (beats, etc). Now, audio is very subjective and I'd advise you to try them, this was only my 2 cents.

I own an AKG K701 that I love (but this is an hard to drive pair of cans) and a Marshall Major II that are OK cans (but not much more).

I prefer circum aural can for their comfort. Opened / semi-opened gives great audio quality but do not isolate much. Closed cans have deeper bass and isolation but are more tiring IMHO and have less impressive details.

Last edited:
Reactions: jØrd

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
The reason I am seeking advice is because I'd like to know whether these are worth the buy? How reputable is Monster?
- No
- Actively disreputable, to the point of being a laughing-stock for their business practices: marking up bog-standard cables to 10x/100x their actual worth, suing anybody in any industry that happens to have "Monster" somewhere in their name, etc.

For brands like Monster, Skullcandy, Bose (with the possible exception of the Quietcomfort line), Beats, etc you are effectively buying a fashion accessory that you might accidentally hook up to an audio device. These companies put a lot of effort into the styling, but comparatively little into the actual audio equipment which for many (Beats, Monster, Skullcandy) will be purchased from an OEM and installed in their plastic shell.

A $100 budget is a good price-point to start looking at, beyond that you start getting diminishing returns (paying a lot more for a marginal at best improvement). Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Grado, AKG, Sony (their studio headphones are effectively an industry standard, though their consumer headphones are hit-and-miss), Shure, Audio-Technica, Koss. All these headphone manufacturers make consistently good-quality headphones so if you pick a design and style that you like within your budget, you;re unlikely to be paying over the odds for a poor pair of headphones.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The reason I am seeking advice is because I'd like to know whether these are worth the buy? How reputable is Monster? Do you think $100 is good for a product like this or should I save up for something else like Audio Technica or something?

- No
- Actively disreputable, to the point of being a laughing-stock for their business practices: marking up bog-standard cables to 10x/100x their actual worth, suing anybody in any industry that happens to have "Monster" somewhere in their name, etc.

Unsavory business practices aside, Monster-branded headphones tend to be overpriced for their performance, relative to competing headsets. I will say that there are occasions when such brands are worthwhile to buy, if you have access to extraordinary discounts (I've recommended Beats headphones to casual listeners who could get them for less than half of retail, for example), but in your case there are still better options for ~$100 IMHO.

For brands like Monster, Skullcandy, Bose (with the possible exception of the Quietcomfort line), Beats, etc you are effectively buying a fashion accessory that you might accidentally hook up to an audio device. These companies put a lot of effort into the styling, but comparatively little into the actual audio equipment which for many (Beats, Monster, Skullcandy) will be purchased from an OEM and installed in their plastic shell.

For the most part, I'd agree with this, though I disagree about lumping Bose into this group: their QuietComfort series (~$300) have superb noise cancellation and good performance for the $, and I know a few people that swear by their SoundTrue headphones (~$200 IIRC).

I suppose they have some headphones that aren't a very good value, but that's true of almost any brand.

A $100 budget is a good price-point to start looking at, beyond that you start getting diminishing returns (paying a lot more for a marginal at best improvement). Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Grado, AKG, Sony (their studio headphones are effectively an industry standard, though their consumer headphones are hit-and-miss), Shure, Audio-Technica, Koss. All these headphone manufacturers make consistently good-quality headphones so if you pick a design and style that you like within your budget, you;re unlikely to be paying over the odds for a poor pair of headphones.

Sennheiser, Grado, and Audio-Technica have great options at the ~$100 price point. However, we'd need to know more about how you'd be using your headphones before we could make a good recommendation; an ideal set for your commute will be pretty different from an ideal set for easy listening at home.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Supposedly Beats have actually come out with some quality units lately. If you read up on InnerFidelity.com, Beats actually invested in some decent amount of engineering and technical design and their latest products are actually pretty good.

People have all sorts of preferences for the way the music is played. If you want the most accurate representation, stay away for things that are described as 'warm' and such...that is just distortion that some may find pleasing, but not accurate to the intent of the studio mix.

One thing I will absolutely say, is that "surround sound" headphones are completely BS. There needs to be head position tracking and a corresponding DSP that adjusts a good head-related-transfer-function (HRTF; a model of how sound goes around your head, is reflected off your shoulders, etc.) and can accurately represent the sound from a point in space. The "surround sound" models may use an HRTF, but without the tracking the sound stage position moves when you move your head and cannot mimic the changes your brain expects from the sound. The lack of head tracking will change with the inclusion in VR headsets, and will hopefully make practical, cheap technological components for headsets (e.g. low power commodity HRTF DSP's, very accurate accelerometers and gyroscopes).

Reactions: mitxlove

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
- No

Yeah it makes sense that they lean more towards a "fashion" sense. I suppose I sort of suspected this and I guess that's the reason I created this thread! I'm not gonna go for them, but what c
Would you recommend on a budget from $100-$150? Thinking I might go AT or AKG as I've heard good things about them!

Unsavory business practices aside, Monster-branded headphones tend to be overpriced for their performance, relative to competing headsets. I will say that there are occasions when such brands are worthwhile to buy, if you have access to extraordinary discounts (I've recommended Beats headphones to casual listeners who could get them for less than half of retail, for example), but in your case there are still better options for ~$100 IMHO.

For the most part, I'd agree with this, though I disagree about lumping Bose into this group: their QuietComfort series (~$300) have superb noise cancellation and good performance for the $, and I know a few people that swear by their SoundTrue headphones (~$200 IIRC).

I suppose they have some headphones that aren't a very good value, but that's true of almost any brand.

Sennheiser, Grado, and Audio-Technica have great options at the ~$100 price point. However, we'd need to know more about how you'd be using your headphones before we could make a good recommendation; an ideal set for your commute will be pretty different from an ideal set for easy listening at home.

Have any examples of something from AT or Grado at this price point?

Thanks for the advice guys! I appreciate it!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I have a pair of Grado SR60i's and they have very good quality sound for the price. They have a very simple design though and don't stay on your head very well so not something you'd want to use when out and about.

Reactions: mitxlove

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Oh I forgot to mention guys, I'm looking for a pair of headphones only for indoor use/my desk! So gaming and music, maybe movies as well!

Hopefully that will help if you guys have any recommendations!

Thanks!

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
#redditaudio on freenode might be worth a look. there is alot of flamewars and such but alot of headfi junkies too

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
One thing I will absolutely say, is that "surround sound" headphones are completely BS. There needs to be head position tracking and a corresponding DSP that adjusts a good head-related-transfer-function (HRTF; a model of how sound goes around your head, is reflected off your shoulders, etc.) and can accurately represent the sound from a point in space. The "surround sound" models may use an HRTF, but without the tracking the sound stage position moves when you move your head and cannot mimic the changes your brain expects from the sound. The lack of head tracking will change with the inclusion in VR headsets, and will hopefully make practical, cheap technological components for headsets (e.g. low power commodity HRTF DSP's, very accurate accelerometers and gyroscopes).

I was given a pair of Psykos a while back and for a few games they were really incredible. They didn't have a long list back then, but perhaps they have improved?

I'm not correcting anything your saying, but these cans were built a little differently and I was really super impressed with their Source engine compatible 5.1.

I ended up giving them to a musician friend of mine who loves gaming and he was pretty happy with them. I would have kept them but everyone else in the room can hear them so they weren't LAN legal. :)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Modern 5.1 headphones are decent but once you've tried a VR headset in a game/demo/whatever with proper tracked HRTF you'll realize how primitive it is in comparison. Creative really screwed the game audio world when they killed Aureal but luckily that technology is making a comeback with VR and it looks like Creative will have no part in it.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I was given a pair of Psykos a while back and for a few games they were really incredible. They didn't have a long list back then, but perhaps they have improved?

I'm not correcting anything your saying, but these cans were built a little differently and I was really super impressed with their Source engine compatible 5.1.

They tried to physically mimic the HRTF by positioning the drivers and channeling the sound, but they don't seem to understand how (and unwittingly completely ignore) how sound reflects and refracts along and around surfaces, including your body. There is also no way to compensate for any head movement.

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
At work, most of my colleagues have 300 euros beats or Parrot Zik .... very not impressed compared to my AKG K701 that retails for less now (around 200 euros).

Tried several Bose too and I really do not like the Bose sound signature. These really are can you MUST try before you buy them as they have a particular sounding.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
They tried to physically mimic the HRTF by positioning the drivers and channeling the sound, but they don't seem to understand how (and unwittingly completely ignore) how sound reflects and refracts along and around surfaces, including your body. There is also no way to compensate for any head movement.

I think I'm in the wrong classroom.

Modern 5.1 headphones are decent but once you've tried a VR headset in a game/demo/whatever with proper tracked HRTF you'll realize how primitive it is in comparison. Creative really screwed the game audio world when they killed Aureal but luckily that technology is making a comeback with VR and it looks like Creative will have no part in it.

I'll show myself out.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Supposedly Beats have actually come out with some quality units lately.

Their studio wireless headphones perform well for the price point. I think that the Bose QuietComfort over-ear headphones are better, so I wouldn't recommend them... but at least Beats' offering there isn't especially bad performance-wise.

Oh I forgot to mention guys, I'm looking for a pair of headphones only for indoor use/my desk! So gaming and music, maybe movies as well!

My follow-up question would be how quiet your room is. If there isn't much ambient noise, I'd suggest a pair of open-back on-ear headphones, as they tend to be the most comfortable for longer periods of time. Otherwise, closed-back headphones will work.

For around $100, I'd look at these, in order:
  • Audio Technica's ATHM40x (or ATH-M50x if you want to bump up quality marginally)
  • Sony's MDR-7506
  • Grado's SR120i (good luck finding these, though)
  • Bose's SoundTrue
The Audio Technica's are open-back headphones that are quite well-known, mostly for nailing the performance-price ratio. I used these (both M40's and M50's) in a college radio station I ran, and I've seen them in commercial broadcasting and production environments alike. Note that they are open-back.

The Sony's are bulkier and are ugly as sin, but they're cheap, have comparable audio quality, and are supremely comfortable to wear (even though they are closed-back).

The Grado's are well-made and have a near-cult status and following, but I've never seen them nor known anyone who's seen them, and they are very hard to get since a small company produces them.

Finally, Bose's SoundTrues are excellent all-around headphones - they have marginally poorer quality than any of the above, but they're closed-back and can work well in both a studio and commuting context.

At work, most of my colleagues have 300 euros beats or Parrot Zik .... very not impressed compared to my AKG K701 that retails for less now (around 200 euros).

I owned a pair of Zik 2.0 headphones for a while and absolutely loved them. The sound quality was on par with QuietComforts, but the noise cancellation was noticeably better (and easily the best I've ever encountered in any headphone). Combined with the mobile app and wide berth of technical features - let alone their sharp appearance - and I actually really quite like them, even if they're pricey. Still wish I had 'em.

Tried several Bose too and I really do not like the Bose sound signature. These really are can you MUST try before you buy them as they have a particular sounding.

I like my 30€ Sony headphones. They make sound.

iFreilicht jokes, but it's worth nothing that you should try to listen to headphones before buying them, whenever possible. Some people just don't notice (and or don't care) about the difference between inexpensive headphones and anything that's 'superior'. At any level of financial investment, you ought to be checking to make sure you're getting the most out of your spending.

Reactions: iFreilicht

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I'll add another vote for the Sony MDR-7506. They're studio headphones so not only are they incredibly solidly built, replacement parts are readily available, with the packing including a handy disassembly diagram and individual component part numbers.

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
The Sony MDR-7506 are awesome for the price. About the Zik 2.0, they are really not my type as I do listen to acoustic records a lot. The isolation is nice, but they are too boomy IMHO and lacks on the micro detail and sound stage width. But as you advised, it is better to try before buying cans in that price tag.

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
My follow-up question would be how quiet your room is. If there isn't much ambient noise, I'd suggest a pair of open-back on-ear headphones, as they tend to be the most comfortable for longer periods of time. Otherwise, closed-back headphones will work.

For around $100, I'd look at these, in order:
  • Audio Technica's ATHM40x (or ATH-M50x if you want to bump up quality marginally)
  • Sony's MDR-7506
  • Grado's SR120i (good luck finding these, though)
  • Bose's SoundTrue
The Audio Technica's are open-back headphones that are quite well-known, mostly for nailing the performance-price ratio. I used these (both M40's and M50's) in a college radio station I ran, and I've seen them in commercial broadcasting and production environments alike. Note that they are open-back.

The Sony's are bulkier and are ugly as sin, but they're cheap, have comparable audio quality, and are supremely comfortable to wear (even though they are closed-back).

The Grado's are well-made and have a near-cult status and following, but I've never seen them nor known anyone who's seen them, and they are very hard to get since a small company produces them.

Finally, Bose's SoundTrues are excellent all-around headphones - they have marginally poorer quality than any of the above, but they're closed-back and can work well in both a studio and commuting context.

Well as much as I'd like to drown out the sound around me (it's not too loud) I don't think my girlfriend would appreciate me having headphones on which wouldn't let me here her call me lmao. I think openback is best for me! I've done some research on the ATHm40xs and the 50s as well I think I'm going to spring for either of these depending on how frugal I'm feeling! Thank you for the help guys!