Rumor AMD Vega Mobile is Back!

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13532/amds-vega-mobile-lives-vega-pro-20-16-in-november

So apparently, MacBook Pros will be released next month with Vega "Pro" 16 and 20 next month. This means that Intel and AMD are making these great CPUs and Apple will be using them.

To quote Anandtech for moar details:
Instead, as we now know, it will be making it to commercial products after all as an upgrade option for the 15-inch MacBook Pro. And while the lack of a shipping date for the new models is not especially confidence-inspiring given everything else that has been going on, none the less I have to admit that I was premature in giving up on AMD.

YAAAY! Vega Mobile+ Intel CPU!

(and it probably won't make it to anything other than a MacBook ._.)

Blakfetha

Caliper Novice
Aug 20, 2018
Took so long that Apple updated the MBP with Radeon 560X first and then update it now with vega. I wonder if this means they will add more VRMs now that they have the extra space

Reactions: el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
Took so long that Apple updated the MBP with Radeon 560X first and then update it now with vega. I wonder if this means they will add more VRMs now that they have the extra space
Apple adding VRMs? How about Apple removing VRMs?

;)

Although I wouldn't get too excited. It's an upgrade, so it's probably not over-engineered. Also, in the near future, Apple will probably move to ARM or their own proprietary architecture so power draw would be hypothetically decreased, meaning no need for good VRMs. Like H61 essentially (my board has a 2+1 phase VRM)

Reactions: Blakfetha

Blakfetha

Caliper Novice
Aug 20, 2018
Apple adding VRMs? How about Apple removing VRMs?

;)

Although I wouldn't get too excited. It's an upgrade, so it's probably not over-engineered. Also, in the near future, Apple will probably move to ARM or their own proprietary architecture so power draw would be hypothetically decreased, meaning no need for good VRMs. Like H61 essentially (my board has a 2+1 phase VRM)
I'm just saying they might solve the power throttling problem that they had when they last updated the MBP (some say it's solved, some disagree), when they eventually use ARM in laptops, they would probably similar power draw, but with the power used differently (a more powerful GPU for example). I wonder if they would combine the functions of the CPU and T2 coprocessor...
This is what the Space Grey Mac mini should have been...
Agreed
(maybe even intel) released official info
The MBP with Vega graphics all use 6 core CPUs so they won't be using those chips. I doubt they would update the 13" models with that.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
but it'll get reduced to two thunderbolt ports though ._. the Vega iGP on the 8809G requires 8 PCIe lanes
it's not a rumor anymore o_o both Apple and AMD (maybe even intel) released official info
It doesn't look like apple will use Kaby Lake G o_O which I totally had thought they would when Intel released that.
From what Apple / AMD are saying, it is just a dedicated GPU with a single HBM stack on the package.

I guess it makes sense, as they'll get to keep using 6 core intel CPUs

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
oh right, wasn't paying attention to the specs on the MBP ,_,

either way we'll see what's the topology like come november