AMD Ryzen 5 5600X vs AMD Ryzen 7 3700X considerations

JohnTinkerer

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Hello Community,

Previously I have seen as recommended configuration "AMD Ryzen 7 3700X" (8 cores@3.6GHz) now it's replaced with "AMD Ryzen 5 5600X" (6 cores@3.7GHz)

Overall the CPUs are somewhat similar but what I find really odd is that on multicore tasks the older AMD Ryzen 7 3700X is not shining even though it has 33% more cores cores and somewhat similar clock. The advantages seems under 10% on multicore tasks at best...

I would like to build the system as soon as Radeon RX 6700/6800 comes out but if the GPUs are unavailable or insanely overpriced (more than 20% of the recommended price) I'm happy to wait for a month or two.

Would you consider the older AMD Ryzen 7 3700X under any circumstances for a new system?

Some benchmarks:

yuusou

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2019
Nope, I'd get the 5600X. Multi-core performance is only marginally behind thanks to IPC improvement and single-core performance is miles ahead for the same reason.

Reactions: Tashi and rfarmer

echodriver

Caliper Novice
Oct 11, 2020
Go 5600X. It also runs the coolest between both, which really helps with thermals. Effective performance will likely be similar in multicore because of that

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Are you in a crunch to get a build done? Because odds are if you don't already have an outstanding Ryzen 5000 order filed...you'll probably not see any stock in stores until deep into next year.

People are reporting that BHPhoto in the USA's reservation queue is saying that those Day 1 pre-orders aren't expecting delivery until March 2021

mijino9

Efficiency Noob
Nov 6, 2021
Hello. So I'm looking at an upgrade in the next couple of weeks and both of these CPUs are available for roughly the same price. So. Other than improved power efficiency, a slightly higher base & boost clock, Smart Access Memory, etc, am I really going to lose anything by going for the 3700X?

The motherboard it's going into is an X470 which hasn't officially had the 5000-series firmware update yet (but from what I understand, that's on the way soon).

Besides gaming, which I suspect that either of these CPUs will excel at, my other main use case will be content creation: live streaming and video rendering. I suspect that the extra two cores in the 3700X will make a difference here. I only have a GTX 1060 6GB and with the way the GPU market is right now I will not be upgrading that any time soon; any rendering/encoding I do for the foreseeable future will be pure software.

TBH I think I've pretty much decided on the 3700X, but I very much welcome other opinions. Either way this will represent a significant upgrade for me: I currently have an i5-3470 with a single 8GB stick!

mijino9

Efficiency Noob
Nov 6, 2021
Hello. So I'm looking at an upgrade in the next couple of weeks and both of these CPUs are available for roughly the same price. So. Other than improved power efficiency, a slightly higher base & boost clock, Smart Access Memory, etc, am I really going to lose anything by going for the 3700X?

The motherboard it's going into is an X470 which hasn't officially had the 5000-series firmware update yet (but from what I understand, that's on the way soon).

Besides gaming, which I suspect that either of these CPUs will excel at, my other main use case will be content creation: live streaming and video rendering. I suspect that the extra two cores in the 3700X will make a difference here. I only have a GTX 1060 6GB and with the way the GPU market is right now I will not be upgrading that any time soon; any rendering/encoding I do for the foreseeable future will be pure software.

TBH I think I've pretty much decided on the 3700X, but I very much welcome other opinions. Either way this will represent a significant upgrade for me: I currently have an i5-3470 with a single 8GB stick!
no response to this