AMD or Intel for ITX

TheY2K

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Feb 14, 2019
Hey SFF,

Just recently got into ITX builds. Just bought the geeek a50x case so I'm pretty hyped to get this build started. I was wondering what a more cost effective path would be for gaming (primarily). I see ITX intel boards for pretty cheap but obvi their CPUs are a little more expensive (am looking at an i3-8100). Conversely, i know the R5 1600 is really really good but all the AMD ITX options start at like $120. I'm not opposed to buying used, but even still i hardly see anyone selling ITX AMD boards. Please help me out here. My only requirement is that the board has bluetooth. SPDIF would be nice. I intend on playing games like Anthem when it comes out if that helps with any recommendations.

Thank you so much!

Kandirma

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2017
The Asrock A320M-ITX should be about the same price as any MITX LGA1151 board you can get. It has bluetooth and SPIDF

With sales you can also get the R5 for a bit cheaper than the 8100, I think I saw it at $99 this week?

For gaming they're not that much different at stock‡, but if you're doing anything else then the R5 will pull ahead in many/most usecases.

Your upgrade path is also slightly better, but I don't really expect [almost] anyone to build a system and then actually upgrade w/o doing a whole new build if they're not already enthusiasts.

‡If you chose you could overclock the R5 w/o spending more

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
If you're looking at the i3-8100, would it be possible to stretch a little and go for the i5-8400? As >4 core/thread CPUs are becoming the norm, the 8400 would keep you in the game longer.

From looking at reviews and benchmarks, it seems that it really comes down to budget, games you play, and availability. For a mid-tier build, both AMD and Intel are viable options IMO. Some games like the Intel clockspeeds and some like the AMD threads. If the Ryzen 2 rumors are all they're cracked up to be, then the clockspeed advantage may be going away.

What I'd recommend: spec out builds for both. Start with the CPU (8300 or 8400 on team blue, 1600 or 2600 on team red). Only a few motherboard options both ways so find a couple each that have the features you want and, importantly, a layout that will work for the case and your preferred cable management paths. Mainstream GPUs will work either way too. Might want to splurge on slightly faster RAM kits with Ryzen (3000+ MHz) and ensure compatibility with your preferred motherboard(s). Make sure you're in the power envelope for your PSU. Keep your budget number handy, check your preferred retailers for pricing and availability, and you should be good to go.

My emphasis here is that I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way. It's a good time to build a PC since the intersection of cost, computing power, and efficiency are in our favor. As you look at specific configuration options, I think the way forward will become more clear.

Personally, I've been using an i5-7600K for the last couple of years. I'm keeping an eye on Ryzen 2 mainly out of curiosity. If I do end up getting into more video stuff, I may pull the trigger. My backpocket strategy, which I intiiated last year, was to build my sister's computer with an R3 1200 to get her by at 1080p. Then, if Ryzen made the leaps and bounds I was hoping for, I could steal her motherboard, sell or keep the R3, upgrade CPU, swap her to the i5, and when the dust settles, all I needed to buy was a new CPU (and maaaybe some more/faster RAM). Pipe dreams though.

Kandirma

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2017
stretch a little and go for the i5-8400

At that point though, why?

For the price of an i5-8400 you can start pushing into R5 2600[X], or R7 1700[X] territory All of which are at stock ~equivalent or above to the 8400 (and as I mentioned earlier allow for OC), and all have more cores [not that it's needed]

At the i3-8100 price point I can see it being more appealing just because it is actually cheaper, but the 8400 loses that edge even if you aren't looking at [regular] sale prices.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
At that point though, why?

For the price of an i5-8400 you can start pushing into R5 2600[X], or R7 1700[X] territory All of which are at stock ~equivalent or above to the 8400 (and as I mentioned earlier allow for OC), and all have more cores [not that it's needed]

At the i3-8100 price point I can see it being more appealing just because it is actually cheaper, but the 8400 loses that edge even if you aren't looking at [regular] sale prices.
Fair comment. I didn't see if there was a hard budget in mind for one. I thought that the 8400 would have better longevity than the 8100. Just something to consider.

Zephyraeon

Caliper Novice
Nov 15, 2018
I’m an AMD CPU fanboy but I regret going AMD for my SFF build for 2 reasons:
  1. Intel sockets are fairly standard so it’s much easier to find CPU coolers for them. Sure you can go for the L9i/a or Cryorig C7 for AM4 but there are a lot of options you miss out on. Apparently even the black ridge has issues mounting on some AM4 boards (ASRock and MSI I believe) but haven’t found a compatibility list to confirm. If you’re trying to do something niche you have more cooler options with intel.
  2. There are no good motherboards for AM4 that have “everything”. There’s only the ASUS Strix B450I/X470I with 2 M.2 slots, and that motherboard is reported to have issues where it limits ram speeds (and it also has the huge plastic guard that causes case compatibility problems). The MSI B450I has a weird layout where the front panel connectors are at the back and the USB 3.0 connectors are right at the top corner resulting in issues in some builds (including mine) where chassis front IO cabling isn’t long enough. I heard bad things about the Gigabyte B450I when looking into it but don’t remember exactly what they were now.