News AMD Computex Livestream 2017 - 10PM EST

Boil

SFF Guru
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Well, that was kind of a bust...

Big news on RX Vega was "Wait until Siggraph..."

So, we wait another two months...

Come on AMD, all I want is confirmation of a RX Vega Nano GPU that performs like a GTX 1080, but costs just a bit less than a GTX 1080...!

Is that asking too much...?

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Some comments.

OEM Partners
Very meh. The obligatory ASUS ROG infomercial was to be expected at the end. HP, Lenovo, and Dell didnt have much to show that hasnt already been done.

Ryzen-Mobile
Very nice to see, but the OEM partners just showed themselves shoving full ryzen 1800s into laptops, so I'm not sure why a mobile variant is really needed. Of course its less power, but I cant imagine it being on-par performance with the equivalent cpu offerings.

THREAD-RIPPER
HUGE! Literally in size and cores. Same information that has been leaked really. Its great for competition and the demo finished a lot faster compared to the 1800X demo that was done at the last conference. Im honestly taken back by it.

VEGA
Disappointed. They showed Thread-ripper running with 2 Vega gpus but it didnt look too smooth (Prey at 4k) from the livestream I was watching. Im going to guess it was going just over 60fps, but a single 1080Ti is close to that. We've known from leaks that Vega was going to be comparable to a 1080, but I figured it would push it out a bit.

Boil

SFF Guru
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
A blurb from an online article, culled from the 45th JP Morgan Global Technology, Media and Telecom Conference, almost two weeks ago...?

The AMD chief also thrilled gamers with the announcement that the upcoming graphics card would be launched on all market segments in the next few months.

Now, SFF & ITX GPUs, that's a Market Segment, yeah...?!?

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
Looking at the Prey demo I'm not sure if VEGA's release will change the market significantly, or at all. Perhaps it has the power of a 1080 and costs a bit less, but later this year there'll be Volta. If that's really all what VEGA can do, it'll only be able compete against Volta's 1070 tier, leaving the high-end market still in NVIDIA's grasp.

Reactions: VegetableStu

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Some comments.

OEM Partners
Very meh. The obligatory ASUS ROG infomercial was to be expected at the end. HP, Lenovo, and Dell didnt have much to show that hasnt already been done.
The fact that OEMs are onboard and seem at least somewhat enthusiastic about it is HUGE.
DiY enthusiasts like ourselves are utterly insignificant by comparison. It's not that the DiY market isn't important at all, and certainly the hype it's generated will feed into the OEM demand, but most computers that are sold are prebuilt machines, so a healthy selection of systems featuring Ryzen from the likes of Dell and Lenovo is critical to AMD's growth and their ability to continue making good products.

The lack of any notable presence in that market is part of why AMD has been such a faltering company for so long. The last time AMD had a killer product was back when Athalon 64 launched and Intel was simultaneously having problems with Netburst. Unfortunately Intel strong-armed OEMs into not selling AMDs products and nearly sunk AMD.

Ryzen-Mobile
Very nice to see, but the OEM partners just showed themselves shoving full ryzen 1800s into laptops, so I'm not sure why a mobile variant is really needed. Of course its less power, but I cant imagine it being on-par performance with the equivalent cpu offerings.
Think about what the biggest thing manufacturers use to market new laptops and other mobile devices: smaller and lighter, and more battery life.
Reducing the size of the battery is one of the most impactful ways of reducing weight (and often thickness as well). Getting more battery life requires either using a bigger battery (not an option due to the previous point) or reducing power draw. That's why mobile chips exist in the first place.

And again, the gamer/enthusiast market is a minority segment.

THREAD-RIPPER
HUGE! Literally in size and cores. Same information that has been leaked really. Its great for competition and the demo finished a lot faster compared to the 1800X demo that was done at the last conference. Im honestly taken back by it.
It is indeed nice to see those results, though without any REAL figures, it's still just another fancy tech demo, and we've seen AMD try and sell us on those so many times.

Disappointed. They showed Thread-ripper running with 2 Vega gpus but it didnt look too smooth (Prey at 4k) from the livestream I was watching. Im going to guess it was going just over 60fps, but a single 1080Ti is close to that. We've known from leaks that Vega was going to be comparable to a 1080, but I figured it would push it out a bit.
Indeed. Vega definitely looks to be shaping up to be fairly middling. Especially bad since Nvidia is set to release Volta fairly soon. I was hoping AMD would be able to pull a win out of their hat in the GPU space like they are doing in the CPU space with Ryzen, but it doesn't seem likely.

I can still hope Vega's computer performance pans out and that Radeon Instinct and SSG turn out to be good. Even if they aren't something I'd ever use, and thus don't really affect me, AMD gaining market share in the enterprise sector could provide enough cash flow for their graphics division to potentially pull ahead of Nvidia in the gaming space again.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Boil

SFF Guru
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
First - I see you linked my thread for the front page article, don't I at least get to share the byline...?!?

Joking, of course...! ;^p

Second - The demo moving around in a 3D workspace was ThreadRipper (16c/32t) & FOUR Vega FE GPUs...

The Prey demo was ThreadRipper (16c/32t) & TWO RX Vega GPUs...

At this point, I am just crossing my fingers & trying to use the power of positive thinking to will a RX Vega Nano into existence; and hoping for some info leaks the closer we get to Siggraph...