News AMD AMA feat. Raja Koduri

Right, I'll copy paste the important SFF-related info here:

Elmnator: Will the consumer RX version be as fast at the Frontier version?
RK: Consumer RX will be much better optimized for all the top gaming titles and flavors of RX Vega will actually be faster than Frontier version!

Titanicfreak: Where both the Fury X and Nano excelled in m-ITX builds. Do you see Vega continuing that?
RK: Like Fiji Vega will excel in small form factors etc due to HBM2 advantages <-- Oh baby, this can only mean well.

nas360: Why the official Frontier page shows renders of the card with 2x8pin connectors and the one you were holding at the presentation has 1×8 + 1×6 connectors?
RK: I grabbed an engineering board from the lab on the way to the Sunnyvale auditorium, and that boards works well with a 6 and an 8 pin. We decided to put two 8 pin connectors in the production boards to give our Frontier users extra headroom <-- Hopefully they can get some binned chips for an RX Vega Nano that'll only use a single 8 pin.

wickedplayer494: Does Frontier Edition use 4 stacks or 2 stacks of HBM2?
RK: Frontier edition employs 2 stacks of HBM2 <-- Some people were debating this I think.

wikedplayer494: Can we pretty please get a 16 GB variant of Radeon RX Vega?
RK: We will definitely look at that…

Proxiros: Thank you for this AMA knowing how valuable your time is. I don’t expect that you will reveal much today (NDA) but the only thing that all await is: Will Vega for consumers revealed at Computex ( http://www.amdcomputex.com.tw ) this year? or at least a launch date? Keep up the good work!
RK: We’ll be showing Radeon RX Vega off at Computex, but it won’t be on store shelves that week. <-- Can't wait.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6bklro/we_are_radeon_technologies_group_at_amd_and_were/

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Really interested in what an ITX-sized RX Vega GPU might bring to the table...

Looking towards an all AMD build, thinking:

As yet to be decided mITX motherboard (hoping ASRock gives us a X300 MB with front-side M.2 slot)
Ryzen R5 1600 CPU
Stock Wraith Spire CPU cooler (Das Blinkin' Lightens)
16GB DDR4 (2@8GB DIMMs/3200MHz/CAS16) RAM
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 PCI-e x4 NVMe SSD
RX Vega Nano (w/ 8GB HBM2 RAM minimum)

All jammed into a LZ7 chassis with a 600w Corsair SFX PSU & Cryorig XT140 chassis fan (140mm x 13mm)...

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
704 Vega Stream Processors on the APU vs. 1024 Polaris Stream Processors on the RX 560. Unless Vega is a lot weaker than we're expecting, I wouldn't be surprised to see the top end APUs offer 560-esque performance.