Cooling Alphacool Eisblock XPX Pro large-socket 1U waterblock (Flatboy)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
old title: [prototype watch] Alphacool Eisblock Flatboy large-CPU pump-block combo
2019.01.11 EDIT: https://www.techpowerup.com/251292/...1u-cpu-block-and-updated-nexxxos-v2-radiators

need confirmation on location of pump, although I got a suspicion they removed it from the block

https://www.eteknix.com/alphacool-teases-eisblock-flatboy-prototype-for-threadripper/

that's from August 2017. teaser photo looks pretty slim overall
uses the same pump form factor as the one used in this custom ITX monoblock
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...r-waterblock-for-asus-z270i-z370i-strix.6890/

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
the asetek patent is still being upheld in Alphacool's HQ location (i assume it works this way and I assume it's germany) ._.
it's lapsed in many other EU countries though, so hopefully companies elsewhere gets their chance

if the distinction of the pump being a separate part from the coldplate is allowed I guess there's more leeway than anyone else could think of actually? The Enermax TR4 AIO has a separate pump part (not sure if that's a DDC or a D5 pump) o_o

EDIT: funny thing is Switzerland has a "Patent Lapse from nonpayment" status after a "Patent Ceased" event ._. interesting

EDITx2:
list of countries by status:
  • Paid and upheld (status up to 11 Nov 2017): Germany, Denmark, Spain, Finland, France, UK, Italy, Netherlands, Sweden
  • Lapsed for reasons: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Switzerland, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Turkey
  • "Patent Ceased": Poland
  • not involved: Croatia, Lithuania, Malta, Norway, San Marino
  • "Request of (Locale) Extension" (no status since): Albania, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Serbia
yeah it makes sense that the countries with tha bizness are worth upholding, but Austria (Noctua) and Ireland o_o
EDIT: Netherlands no longer valid since Sep 2017

Last edited:

Vespaman0

Case Bender
Jul 11, 2018
I spoke with someone from Alphacool through their facebook page and was told that they are looking to release the block at the end of this year. And apparently it won't just be for threadripper.

Flatboy is in work but it is not a special TR cooler, it will be a special server cooler for different sockets. But the focus is on huge CPU DIEs

We are planing to bring the block in the end of this year to the market.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Looks really awesome actually!

I was considering doing an external loop in my customod mini because it would be neat, and pump wiring was a sticking point.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
What's that tiny radiator o_O ?

This is an Alphacool Eisbrescher PRO: https://www.alphacool.com/shop/radi...isbrecher-pro-xt45-full-copper-360mm-radiator

"During its development, the focus was naturally on ensuring the highest performance. To this end, Alphacool developed the A.B.M. – the air breaker mat. The function of this mat is simple but very effective. The mounted fans have dead spots in the corners and directly under the fan hub. The air blown in by the fans breaks up inside the mat and is then distributed evenly over the entire radiator surface. This means that the radiator is especially effective with slow-revolving fans in comparison to normal radiators. Users looking for a quiet system definitely get their money’s worth.

As usual for Alphacool, all the water-bearing parts are made of copper, excluding the connectors, which are made of brass. Even the radiator’s cooling fins are made completely of copper. The radiator has six mounting points, so it can be mounted and connected in any position. As for its appearance, Alphacool makes no compromises. All the side parts are made of aluminium and sport a blue illuminated Alphacool logo.

The side parts can also be removed for customization, for example to give them a new coat of paint."

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
"new waterblock we released"
it's on sale now?! O_O

EDIT: actually on second thoughts: does it look like it can't fit a DC-LT pump in there? o_o

EDITx2: @GuilleAcoustic I might have news ,_,

Last edited:

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
I saw the techpowerup article but nothing matches that little radiator that made me really itch for watercooling for the first time ... ever?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I saw the techpowerup article but nothing matches that little radiator that made me really itch for watercooling for the first time ... ever?
yeah I think they gave up putting the DC-LT pump in it for some reason ,_, (hard to service in-situ? removable pumps via disconnects more feasible?)

oh well. at least I have plan B now ,_, (C, actually)