Alpenføhn black ridge fan directions

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
Guis, on this test on the Alpenføhn Black Ridge, both fans 'on the radiator have carried the air upwards.' (quote). What does that mean, and can I replicate it with a Noctua A12x15 (top) and a Noctua A9x14 (bottom)?

Reason I'm asking is that the A9x14 (o is it A9x25) is not recommended as pull, due to turbulence noise? Read somethig in that vein when it came to the Noctua NH-L12

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=DE&sl=de&tl=en&u=https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/kuehler/alpenfoehn_black_ridge/s05.php

Thanks!

Last edited:

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2018
Well, its definitely priced better than I thought it was at $50. But those Fans are really disappointing. I was hoping for a larger under mounted fan to pull though the heat sink and blow air over the Motherboard... Instead it looks like it has a tiny under-mounted fan that's really loud.

Also, that review doesn't even say how it preformed for cooling. Just says, "Good cooling capacity for the size".

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Well, its definitely priced better than I thought it was at $50. But those Fans are really disappointing. I was hoping for a larger under mounted fan to pull though the heat sink and blow air over the Motherboard... Instead it looks like it has a tiny under-mounted fan that's really loud.

With the included 92mm fan you can use fairly normal RAM with a max height of 33mm (this is why it is packaged with a smaller fan. If you are willing/able to get your hands on some very low profile RAM (VLP RAM) then you can run a full 120mm fan like the 120mm x 15mm Noctua which should greatly improve performance on this unit.

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2018
I found this review. Only I have no idea what he is saying even with CC on...

The cooler looks really interesting. I just noticed the cooler is longer on one side than the other. Defiantly limits Ram heights. I would like to see how it compares to the C7, L9 and IS40v3/IS-40X as those seem to be the best small form coolers on the market atm.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
To answer your question, it means it was set up with push/pull using the bottom fan blowing outward with the top fan.
Running those fans together might result in turbulence due to the differences in size and speed, and if possible you'd be best to use VLP memory with 2 A12x15's in push pull as that would perform really well in under 70mm.

You can get VLP memory from sites like SuperBuy for a really affordable price, which is what I am doing although my Black Ridge will be in an A4 so I'm only using a bottom fan blowing outward.

Reactions: Arlu

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
Thanks, @Tazpr I have this principle that I want to run 'normal' hardware as far as possible. If I have issues with two fans, I'll remove the smaller inner fan, and stick to a 120mm x15 Noctua. In the Ghost, there is still 4-5 mm clearance to the side cover.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Thanks, @Tazpr I have this principle that I want to run 'normal' hardware as far as possible. If I have issues with two fans, I'll remove the smaller inner fan, and stick to a 120mm x15 Noctua. In the Ghost, there is still 4-5 mm clearance to the side cover.
I think the issue will be less the clearance and more the difference in fan size and speed. Honestly I think it would be fine and actually perform really well, I'm just not sure if you'll encounter any noise issues

Reactions: deadline

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
@Tazpr I have some alternative CPU coolers as well, so I''l try and post my findings. Thanks a lot for your input, appreciated!

dbwd23

Efficiency Noob
Feb 1, 2019
To answer your question, it means it was set up with push/pull using the bottom fan blowing outward with the top fan.
Running those fans together might result in turbulence due to the differences in size and speed, and if possible you'd be best to use VLP memory with 2 A12x15's in push pull as that would perform really well in under 70mm.

You can get VLP memory from sites like SuperBuy for a really affordable price, which is what I am doing although my Black Ridge will be in an A4 so I'm only using a bottom fan blowing outward.

@Tazpr Hey tazpr did you ever get a chance to set-up your Black Ridge? If you did, how did it perform?

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
@Tazpr Hey tazpr did you ever get a chance to set-up your Black Ridge? If you did, how did it perform?
I did yes, it was fine but because it was running on an 8700T I don't know if I had the best testing scenario. I've sold it with my A4 now though since I've ordered a Silver Arrow 130

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Was there anything you were wanting to know in particular cos I can always ask the guy I sold it to

dbwd23

Efficiency Noob
Feb 1, 2019
Nothing as of right now.

After obsessing over all these SFF builds posted, I realized for my first build I should go with more widely known part combinations first. Just so I can get a taste of SFF building first.

But I do thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

BTW the Silver Arrow 130 looks dope as hell.

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018
Sorry to necro, but I have been testing my new Black Ridge cooler both with the 92 mm stock fan as well as the Noctua a12x15 (in the same position underneath the cooler). From the posts and videos I have seen (optimum tech etc.), it seems as though everyone is putting the fans in so that they are pulling air through the cooler. I have not done thermal testing for this yet, though the claim is that it is better in this direction.

In terms of noise, though, both the stock fan and the a12x15 are much louder when in the pull configuration, and I don't think these fans were designed for pulling air through a radiator. A further issue when using the 120 mm Noctua fan is that the screw holes for the 92 mm fan are raised, and the blades will collide with them if the assembly is knocked or disturbed in some way. I'm sure this could be fixed with a file, but it also is not an issue when the fan is pushing air through the cooler, as the fan housing separates them.

I'd be interested to know what others have experienced, and if the pull configuration is really that much better thermally with a 120 mm fan.