Airflow for custom build in Xbox One?

PunchingBagz

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Hey all, currently planning to build an HTPC in my retired Xbox One. Thing is, what I noticed is that while the top panel has a vent for airflow, it's located towards the front half of the chassis and only appears small enough in diameter for the 112mm cooler that came with the Xbone.

Assuming I just aircooled my PC, would the thermal throttling be particularly bad with this? The only case fans I will probably be adding would be two 40mm fans on the side. As for the cooler, I'm leaning towards a Cryorig C7 Cu when they release as I won't actually be assembling my build for several months.

PunchingBagz

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Care to go further into detail? I'm honestly new to builds that require actual modding. That and I don't want to make any drastic changes to the top panel beyond drilling a few holes if needed (console is special edition so I would prefer to preserve that look as much as I can :))

PunchingBagz

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Yes, in fact that was what gave me the idea to do this to my Xbone instead of scrapping it :p

Main problems I had with trying to use that build for help were:
  • OP built it in an Xbone S rather than an original Xbone. Differences vary from minor (easier to pry open, noticeably smaller) to rather significant (original Xbone has a touch sensor power button like the 360 rather than the mechanical one on the Xbone S)
  • OP didn't make a big effort to answer questions people asked. Can't blame him, but it does make it annoying when he ignored requests for the base plate template.
I'm not aware of the difference in top panel's vent for the Xbone and Xbone S, but I could upload a picture later if that helps. It's pretty much the only thing I don't want to make drastic changes to (base appears to be basically the same as that of a standard console so I'd be fine printing a complete replacement.

Reactions: nerdbit

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
Care to go further into detail? I'm honestly new to builds that require actual modding. That and I don't want to make any drastic changes to the top panel beyond drilling a few holes if needed (console is special edition so I would prefer to preserve that look as much as I can :))
Certainly, a fan duct is just a tube box whatever that connects a fan, the outside of the case and whatever is being cooled together, this stops air from recirculating and reduces temps. for example, laptops have ducts that go from the fans to the components that need them. They can be 3d printed, shaped from acrylic, metal or even weatherstripping! I personally use weatherstripping on my Zaber Sentry around my gpu intake and my cpu cooler. it has really helped to reduce temps as the box isn't drawing in its own warm air.
Here is the fan duct on an Xbox One x:

If you dont want to go that way, heres a fun thing i found while looking at the xbox fan mods:

PunchingBagz

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Mind showing me a picture or at least a sketch of what the duct looks like in your case? I'm guessing this works like a blower style cooler for a GPU (?)

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
of course, i personally have a very skinny case so i get by with a ring of weather striping preventing my fans from regurgitating warm air. its reduced my gpu temps by 5-7 degrees average! I cant really get any pictures of it unless i disassemble it and due to a damaged SATA power cable so that isn't happening till i get it replaced. I do however have the images of another user who did it with weatherstripping. i can assure you they are the same as my setup given that i copied it =)
the first is his cpu cooler, the second is my gpu with the stripping

eiselx86

Trash Compacter
Oct 23, 2017
I'm in the process of modding an old receiver with similar size. What I'm aiming for is creating negative pressure airflow. My opinion is that getting the hot air out is more important than cold air in. I'm using a 60mm fan for intake + a cryorig c7 and Noctua Redux 80mm for outtake. If the cooling isn't sufficient enough I will add another Noctua 60mm FLX to the outtake. Will also drill holes for vent.
Here's a 3D model of my build - https://i.imgur.com/bi4JpiS.jpg