Log AIO in ncase - only one fan header

teamet

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 17, 2018
Dear All,

I have purchased a 5800x3d to replace my 3700x in my ncase m1. I believe that I will need to retire my NH-U9S, and I have therefore looked at AIO options. My motherboard is a Gigabyte x570-i, which only has two fan header. One system fans and one CPU.

My question is, if I buy an AIO it has two fans and one pump that needs to be powered. This can be done by a fansplitter and I am sure it will work fairly well. I would however like to have separate control of fan speed and pump speed, so I can fix the pump at perhaps 60-80% and reduce noise while still ramping fans.

I have looked at the Coolermaster ML240 because its cheap, but I am very open to options. Sadly the EK AIO is currently not being produced and the ncase cannot fit the arctic freezer series. Have anybody had this problem and found a good solution?

On a sidenote I have also considered to switch to the meshilicous to improve GPU thermals and go straigt for a 280 AIO .. but I guess that is another issue!

I hope you can help!

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
You could also adjust the power limits and undervolt a bit to just stay with the NH-U9S. There are NH-L9 out there cooling the 5800X3D with a little bit of tweaking.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Use a splitter for the 2 fans on one header and use the other header for the pump.

teamet

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 17, 2018
You're right, I might as well try the u9s first. Perhaps it will be adequate, and worst case, it can run in eco mode for a week or two.

I will consider a cheap aio, or perhaps go for the corsair h100. I've found the included hub could give me control but I am not sure I will need that control..

Anyways, thanks for the input, much appreciated!

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
What I would do....set the AIO to a given pump speed. And plug the AIO-fans into the CPU-fan header. The difference on an H100 in coolant temp based on pump speed form 'balanced' to 'high' isn't much, and the noise delta is very little.