Advice for watercooling with a 120mm radiator inside a DAN A4-SFX case

Subsonic

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Jan 23, 2020
Hy everyone,

i was planning to build a sff "workstation" for over 2 years now, and i recently had a job change and so i need a decent workhorse for my home office now. When i saw that the DAN A4 is available i bought one right away. Now i´m thinking about which hardware i should cram inside that case. It will be definitely a AMD Zen 2 based CPU like a Ryzen 7 3800X or Ryzen 9 3900X. As i´m not into gaming anymore and for my work i need CPU power more than GPU performance, i also ordered the bracket to mount a 120mm radiator next the the GPU. So now i'm searching for informations about how i should realize this. As there are so many 120mm AIO´s on the market i don´t which one to use, especially in combination with the small space i have inside the DAN A4. I personally would prefer a custom loop solution but the only pump i found which would fit is the "Alphacool Eisbaer LT (Solo)". Are their other solutions available besides the typical AIO´s from all the brands out there which would fit? Pricing is not a thing as i want the best performing solution money can buy. Maybe i get better informations directly from you guys than i found on the net.

Thanks in advance.

Georg

Subsonic

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Jan 23, 2020
On the mainboard side i will go with the ASRock - X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 because of ECC Support and Thunderbolt 3. It's not really cheap and also the active cooling on the chipset is a little bit of a downside but also all the other X570 have the use it so there's no alternative for it. The CPU will be chilled with the Alphacool Eisbaer LT120 CPU, i will see how good it performs. It's a all cooper AIO which will hopefully be enough for the Ryzen 9 - 3900x 12 core CPU.

dondan

SFF Guru
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I only can recommend not use the Alphacool because of the very big quick release.

Reactions: Subsonic

Subsonic

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Jan 23, 2020
I would drain the loop and use custom soft tubing to get the cleanest look. With the standard 1/4" fittings which are used on the Eisbär that shouldn't be problem. My main problem at the moment is the GPU. I would love to use a AMD - RX 5500 XT but there are no SFF models available today. I will wait 2 weeks or something if there are any changes to the market, otherwise it will be something like a GTX 1650 Super from NVIDIA. The DAN-A4 is already in my hands. I'm super excited to make this build.

rfarmer

Shrink Way Wielder
Silver Supporter
Jul 7, 2017
I would drain the loop and use custom soft tubing to get the cleanest look. With the standard 1/4" fittings which are used on the Eisbär that shouldn't be problem. My main problem at the moment is the GPU. I would love to use a AMD - RX 5500 XT but there are no SFF models available today. I will wait 2 weeks or something if there are any changes to the market, otherwise it will be something like a GTX 1650 Super from NVIDIA. The DAN-A4 is already in my hands. I'm super excited to make this build.

Amazon Japan have the Powercolor RX5500 XT itx and they ship globally.

Reactions: Subsonic

Subsonic

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Jan 23, 2020
Thanks for the tip. I think sooner or later this card will also be available in europe. I don't have stress building the system.

Subsonic

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Jan 23, 2020
Would there be a massive difference between a 120mm AIO in comparison to a "Asetek 645LT 92 mm AIO" inside the DAN-A4? As there are no small amd-cards with the latest chips avaiable (and i don´t want a nvidia-card...), i can only switch cooling priorities from cpu to gpu. Will i be able to run a ryzen 9 - 3900x without any problems with the Asetek 645LT? Thanks for your advice!

bhk1004

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2020
You can also run eco + pbo. There was a 3950x review on reddit that ran this.

Showed over almost a 30 degree drop. And almost 60w less power usage. Almost no diff for gaming/single core performance and much more reasonable performance drop off vs just running eco for multi core.

Overall temps and power usage was below that of a 3700. I am assuming 3900 will see similar drops.

Linked below.

Subsonic

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Jan 23, 2020
@sancho I can´t understand why Powercolor releases those two cards (didn't know that they have also a RX 5700 ITX) only for the Japanese market. There´s definitely a demand for those cards globally. I don´t know what i should think about buying one of those on amazon japan. I would prefer buying one at least in the EU.

@dondan ECO mode would also be a possibility, maybe i´m doing this. Thanks for the tip! Also thought about the "OC Bracket AIO Mount" from der8auer to get better temps without delidding and so on.

@bhk1004 The R7-3700x with ECO-mode enabled has a temperature of 38 °C under full load? WTF?!?! Those are some impressive numbers. Once again i have to say that AMD has my full respect for what they have engineered with ZEN2.

Thanks everyone for your input!