about bequiet dark rock TF/TF2+I9

jack1940

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
I was excited for a long time, but I finally gave up.hoped that the new case is an improved or Matx case.

https://www.bequiet.com/en/compare/cpucooler/result?model-compare[cpucooler][]=BK020&model-compare[cpucooler][]=BK003
=========================================
http://www.ncases.com/
Stay tuned during Computex 2018, as SFFLAB and Chimera Industries reveal the next project to launch on our platform.
=========================================
Key words: limit height / TDP

TF:130.8mm M1:130mm

I9 7940x - 7980xe 165w TF2: 160W

Last edited:

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
Are you talking about Dark Rock's compatibility with Ncase ?? Cause as the gents above said, there's not much in that link that I can understand what you're referring to. Care to clarify a bit more ?

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Are you talking about Dark Rock's compatibility with Ncase ?? Cause as the bents above said, there's not much in that link that I can understand what you're referring to. Care to clarify a bit more ?

That's what I extrapolated from NCase M1 top-flow compatibility (130mm) and TF/TF2 total height with both fans fitted (130.8mm). But this is just an extrapolated guess...

Reactions: MultiDoc

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Any chance you could swap the top fan to a Noctua 120 x 15 to give yourself 9mm of clearance?

jack1940

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Are you talking about Dark Rock's compatibility with Ncase ?? Cause as the gents above said, there's not much in that link that I can understand what you're referring to. Care to clarify a bit more ?
Yes, because I can't upload pictures, mainly talking about the height and TDP limit of the cooler.
And there seems to be a problem with the web page, which is a comparison of TF/TF2.

jack1940

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Any chance you could swap the top fan to a Noctua 120 x 15 to give yourself 9mm of clearance?
Overall dimensions without mounting material 162.6 x 140 x 130.8
Fan model, number 2x SilentWings PWM 135mm

The official meaning should be: the height of the cooler(excluding fans).
Even if only one fan is installed, the height is still higher than 0.8mm.
I have given up. Unless someone shows up his modification to cooler.

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Quite a few people have used the Dark Rock TF in the M1. While true that it technically exceeds the M1's maximum cooler height, that takes into account the fan bracket, which allows for a bit of wiggle room. The bracket can also be removed entirely for an additional ~5mm of clearance, if need be.

Motherboard compatibility with the TF is the biggest issue people run into with it.

Reactions: jack1940

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Overall dimensions without mounting material 162.6 x 140 x 130.8
Fan model, number 2x SilentWings PWM 135mm

The official meaning should be: the height of the cooler(excluding fans).
Even if only one fan is installed, the height is still higher than 0.8mm.
I have given up. Unless someone shows up his modification to cooler.

First off there is no TF2, there is a Shadow Rock 2 and a lot of people have confused them.

Here is a pic of the TF mounted in my Ncase.

There was no problem with cooler height. Like Necere said the biggest drawback of this cooler is motherboard compatibility. I used the TF with a Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 5 and a Gigabyte Z370N. As far as I can tell the Gigabyte Z370N is the only 300 series board that be quiet lists as fully compatible with the TF.

I can tell you that the cooler is excellent and very quiet.

jack1940

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
First off there is no TF2, there is a Shadow Rock 2 and a lot of people have confused them.

Here is a pic of the TF mounted in my Ncase.

There was no problem with cooler height. Like Necere said the biggest drawback of this cooler is motherboard compatibility. I used the TF with a Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 5 and a Gigabyte Z370N. As far as I can tell the Gigabyte Z370N is the only 300 series board that be quiet lists as fully compatible with the TF.

I can tell you that the cooler is excellent and very quiet.
Yes, I have always believed in noctua god until I found bequiet, but bequiet god does not seem to want me to change my faith.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
I also considered the Dark Rock TF (as rfarmer said it does fit, with some amount of fiddling) for my Ncase, but it's the motherboard compatibility that kept me from trying; also availability is problematic too (not easy to get one). In the end I went with NH-D9L and I'm very happy.

jack1940

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
I also considered the Dark Rock TF (as rfarmer said it does fit, with some amount of fiddling) for my Ncase, but it's the motherboard compatibility that kept me from trying; also availability is problematic too (not easy to get one). In the end I went with NH-D9L and I'm very happy.
I am D9L+7920X now. As for 7940-7980xe, I put my hopes on the new case on the homepage.